Page 1 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2015, 5:15 pm

Ahh ... liberals. They care so much about women, racial minorities and homosexuals. There's nothing wrong with that. I just wish that more liberals cared about high-functioning autistics. I've noticed that liberals almost never talk about our rights.

I once to r/suicidewatch. An aspie there spoke about his life story there and some jackass told him to kill himself. Where is the liberal outrage?

READ THIS -> https://represent.us/

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2015, 5:29 pm

First the word "liberals" is completely misappropriated.

Secondly forget about "liberals". Liberals and Conservative are not a different species. Focus on people and advocacy amongst the people.

You have very broad political camps, politics is generally polarised. It is totally unrealistic to expect just becuase they are in one camp, they are somehow automatically enlightened or that all are ignorant.

Outrage on it own is not constructive, there has to be more to it than that.

Advocacy starts with oneself. In my opinion the best advocacy is through discourse. Not a slick PR campaign.

It is also important for advocacy, not to present either a sugar coated view nor a overly negative one.

Most of the liberal/contard rhetoric is BS. If you are caught up in that then you are not only wasting your own time, you are detracting from what you are advocating. Advocacy after all is about persuasion, not just shaming.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2015, 3:53 am

DarthMetaKnight wrote:
Ahh ... liberals. They care so much about women, racial minorities and homosexuals. There's nothing wrong with that.

Liberals care about them because most of the vote democrat so thier is an incentive and they are taking care of thier own. Aspies are more of mixed bag politically. Of course, the ones on the dole are a sure bet to vote dem since they have a vested interest.

It's not just liberals that are self serving because conservatives are, too.

Quote:
I just wish that more liberals cared about high-functioning autistics. I've noticed that liberals almost never talk about our rights. I once to r/suicidewatch. An aspie there spoke about his life story there and some jackass told him to kill himself. Where is the liberal outrage?

Care about yourself and don't worry about others caring about you because they probably won't really care. If they claim to care it's likely with some ulterior motive.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2015, 4:14 am

Cannot figure out the point of this thread.....also for there to be outrage about something it has to be heard about, but I have seen outrage at treatment of people with mental conditions or other disabilities when its inappropriate. There isn't going to be public outrage at an incident you witnessed that hasn't been put out there. If you want public outrage for that single isolated incident, post the story online or something....otherwise from what I observe there isn't really a lack of outrage on the part of liberals specifically when it comes to cases where an autistic person or someone with a mental condition has been abused, faced neglectful treatment in a mental health facility and things like that.

I really don't think there is an issue of 'liberals' only caring about women, racial minorities and homosexuals but not people with neurological and mental conditions. On an individual basis maybe some of them aren't very aware of that issue, humans in general can be guilty of ignorance/not being aware of things as much as they should be.

Though I don't think the 'conservatives' as a group do much better job representing us or trying to stick up for our rights.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2015, 4:15 am

0_equals_true wrote:
First the word "liberals" is completely misappropriated.

Secondly forget about "liberals". Liberals and Conservative are not a different species. Focus on people and advocacy amongst the people.

You have very broad political camps, politics is generally polarised. It is totally unrealistic to expect just becuase they are in one camp, they are somehow automatically enlightened or that all are ignorant.

Outrage on it own is not constructive, there has to be more to it than that.

Advocacy starts with oneself. In my opinion the best advocacy is through discourse. Not a slick PR campaign.

It is also important for advocacy, not to present either a sugar coated view nor a overly negative one.

Most of the liberal/contard rhetoric is BS. If you are caught up in that then you are not only wasting your own time, you are detracting from what you are advocating. Advocacy after all is about persuasion, not just shaming.

^this

Skibz888
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2015, 6:05 am

Raptor wrote:
DarthMetaKnight wrote:
Ahh ... liberals. They care so much about women, racial minorities and homosexuals. There's nothing wrong with that.

Liberals care about them because most of the vote democrat so thier is an incentive and they are taking care of thier own..

That is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard. I don't vote nor am I even registered Democrat, but perhaps we care a bit more about women, racial minorities and homosexuals because we live in a country which perpetuates sexism, racism, homophobia and wage inequality to dangerous extents where rape and hate crimes have become daily topics in the news. Maybe the rights of rich white men in a country founded by rich white men are somewhat insignificant compared to women living with the threat of rape, minorities living with the threat of being killed by people with racist ideologies or LGBT persons living with groups actively working to take basic rights away from them. This doesn't negate the struggles of white people living in poverty, nor does it even take any focus away from the disabled. The fact that the basic components of altruism or human compassion need to be unnecessarily politicized is disgusting to me.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2015, 6:22 am

DarthMetaKnight wrote:
Liberals Need To Care About Us More.
Wrong. Liberals don't "need" anything of the kind.

The more appropriate thread title would be "DarthMetaKnight Wants Liberals To Care About Us More", since you are describing something that you want, and not what someone else needs.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

30 Jul 2015, 7:12 am

Agree largely with 0_equals_true.

I'm slightly concerned about your use of "high-functioning". Are "low-functioning" autistic people not worth caring for?

There is routinely outrage when autistic people face violence. Nobody cares when someone anonymous says something mean on the internet? That's generally true. People say racist stuff on here all the time and there are no NYT headlines about it.

Oppressed groups generate allies off their own backs. Women are half the population, so they have numbers and lots of intellectuals. It's a cause you can't avoid. There are a lot of black people throughout the West, with most black leaders coming from places like the Southern USA and large American cities which are the "blackest" places in the West - again, lots of numbers and plenty of leaders who can generate support. Not quite as prominent, but still a cause that it's now pretty hard to be unaware of.

After Civil Rights, disability awareness in general became a big thing. Disabilities are remarkably common, particularly amongst older people. Again, lots of people who can raise their voices and put pressure on governments. This movement seems to have largely fizzled out, but it's got disabled people generalised support which, whilst undeniably useful, is inadequate for most specific conditions.

LGB rights have some overlap with those things but have generally taken longer. They're a relatively small group, so awareness is lower, but they're no less able to mobilise considering their size.

The latter half of LGBTQ+ is even smaller, and harder to understand, but they're increasingly gaining traction.

Autistic people are about the same size as the LGB group, but most of us have impairments in communication and so find the whole campaigning thing difficult. We're not doomed, we will get there, it will just be slow.

Should people have cared about trans and autistic rights 200 years ago? Of course, it just wasn't realistic to expect people to put in the necessary work to find out about those things.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2015, 10:56 am

Skibz888 wrote:
Raptor wrote:
DarthMetaKnight wrote:

Liberals care about them because most of the vote democrat so thier is an incentive and they are taking care of thier own..

That is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard. I don't vote nor am I even registered Democrat, but perhaps we care a bit more about women, racial minorities and homosexuals because we live in a country which perpetuates sexism, racism, homophobia and wage inequality to dangerous extents where rape and hate crimes have become daily topics in the news. Maybe the rights of rich white men in a country founded by rich white men are somewhat insignificant compared to women living with the threat of rape, minorities living with the threat of being killed by people with racist ideologies or LGBT persons living with groups actively working to take basic rights away from them. This doesn't negate the struggles of white people living in poverty, nor does it even take any focus away from the disabled. The fact that the basic components of altruism or human compassion need to be unnecessarily politicized is disgusting to me.

Go visit an Islamic country then come back and talk about women's and LGBT rights. We live in a paradise.

Fugu
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2015, 10:56 am

Raptor wrote:
If they claim to care it's likely with some ulterior motive.
[citation needed]
DarthMetaKnight wrote:
Ahh ... liberals. They care so much about women, racial minorities and homosexuals. There's nothing wrong with that. I just wish that more liberals cared about high-functioning autistics. I've noticed that liberals almost never talk about our rights.

I once to r/suicidewatch. An aspie there spoke about his life story there and some jackass told him to kill himself. Where is the liberal outrage?

what makes you think that liberals don't care? if reddit is what's making you think this, it's pretty important to know that reddit is an internet cesspool and shouldn't be considered liberal or conservative

Skibz888
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2015, 11:08 am

Raptor wrote:
Skibz888 wrote:
Raptor wrote:
DarthMetaKnight wrote:

Go visit an Islamic country then come back and talk about women's and LGBT rights. We live in a paradise.

That's one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard. By that logic, should we be ignoring all of America's social problems simply because other countries have it worse? Should we ignore feeding the hungry in the US because there's more hungry in Africa?

That's like breaking your neck but deciding to live with it because there's another guy on fire who has it worse. You're still going to die from your injuries, it's just going to be much more prolonged and painful.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2015, 1:02 pm

Fugu wrote:
Raptor wrote:
If they claim to care it's likely with some ulterior motive.
[citation needed]

Here's your "citation".

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2015, 1:09 pm

Skibz888 wrote:
Raptor wrote:
Skibz888 wrote:
Raptor wrote:
DarthMetaKnight wrote:

That's one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard. By that logic, should we be ignoring all of America's social problems simply because other countries have it worse? Should we ignore feeding the hungry in the US because there's more hungry in Africa?

That's like breaking your neck but deciding to live with it because there's another guy on fire who has it worse. You're still going to die from your injuries, it's just going to be much more prolonged and painful.

Hey, you should feel fortunate to live in such an awful country as the US of A.
Gives y'all something to be perpetually outraged over.

xenocity
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2015, 1:17 pm

The reason why people with ASDs fall through the cracks at the state and federal level is due to the lack of interaction and research.
There is very little research on adults with ASDs and even less attention given to us even from the medical community.

Most people with disabilities aren't engaged enough, have enough attention, and/or lack the research to force change.

Also having a disability is still relatively taboo in many countries including the U.S., and is seen as a personal issue not a societal issue.

Skibz888
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2015, 1:34 pm

Raptor wrote:
Hey, you should feel fortunate to live in such an awful country as the US of A.
Gives y'all something to be perpetually outraged over.

Liberals are actively fighting for equality and social justice for marginalized groups.

Conservatives fight to cut or privatize public education and social programs for the poor and sick so only the rich can afford it, attempt to take away citizens' right to marry, and kill thousands more of their own in the war in the Middle East.

Which one really hates America here?

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2015, 1:41 pm

Skibz888 wrote:
Raptor wrote:
DarthMetaKnight wrote:

Well actually people with mental disorders are a pretty marginalized group, it is just as serious as issues facing women, racial minorities and homosexuals. Statistically more likely to end up in abusive relationships, be assualted/raped, be systematically abused like by the system/police than the general population...so the problems faced by mentally ill individuals or people with neurological conditions cannot really be put on the same level as 'First world white man problems'. Not to mention a lot of people with mental disorders/neurological conditions fall into other minorities to. Mentally ill can live with the threat of being shot to death when in crisis by trigger happy police officers, being over-drugged/facing abusive treatment in hospitals(of course that is not legal but it does happen) or should someone with a mental condition end up in prison(since much of the time they are passed over to the legal system rather than getting treatment) they can face abuse from fellow prisnors and guards....did you hear about the guy in prison he was either LFA or had an intellectual disability that they basically steamed alive in the shower as punishment for smearing feces(I don't know why a person like this was in a prison cell to begin with they should have been somewhere safe) but did you hear about him? Or the scizophrenic teen who had a psychotic episode and whilst he was subdued by two police officers bigger than him a third one shot him in the head in front of his parents?

Not trying to rant, but it is an issue kind of personal to me since I struggle with autism..mental illness and have been hospitalized, luckily I have not been mistreated(though it was a fear of mine both times that i could end up in that unlucky situation). I guess I'd think most who'd identify as liberal or anything like it would take the issues facing the mentally ill just as seriously as the afore mentioned ones.