Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Mootoo
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2015, 4:16 am

Anyone ever heard Boards of Canada... and compared it to Lain's OST? Some tracks are so similar.

Jarring
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

30 Jul 2015, 4:30 am

i didn't compare it to lain's OST.. I didn't watch lain from beginning to end either.. though.. nor did I listen to all of boards of canada.. I'm not a huge fan.. however, I can see where you're coming from...I think.

People do compare that band a lot to my favorite band though..
I listen to a LOT of other music that could be classified as psychedelic as well..

Skibz888
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2015, 6:19 am

Boards of Canada isn't really "psychedelic", unless you're going by a broad definition of the actual term "psychedelic" and not the actual musical genres of psychedelia or psychedelic rock/pop/folk/etc.

Jarring

30 Jul 2015, 6:49 am

don't forget some psytrance like infected mushroom and shpongle..love all their music.. or other kinds like phutureprimitive.. really like that album kinetik front to back..
a lot of trip hop and idm can sound very psychedelic too..

i pass a lot of the more folk and rock stuff, but i can get into some..
just depends on the atmosphere i guess..

i couldn't just go all day listening to acoustic music.. i like it every now and then for a change of pace.. i mean.. anything. like rnb.. rock.. hip hop.. just to take a break from all the electronic music and trip hop i listen to.

i think boards of canada is sometimes considered psychedelic because of their association with warp records and being "IDM" at times as well as ambient.

Skibz888
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2015, 7:20 am

I naturally tend to associate the spectrum of psychedelia with rock, derived from the halcyon days of Hendrix, 13th Floor Elevators, Electric Prunes, Funkadelic, space rock a la Hawkwind, some prog a la Floyd or Soft Machine, etc. and into modern-day neo-psych like Of Montreal or Tame Impala. To me, a band like Ozric Tentacles is quintessential psychedelia. As it's not my primary area of music, I tend to overlook areas of, like, acid house or trance. I guess there are lines to be drawn between "psychedelia" and "psychedelic".

I like Boards of Canada, but I've never thought of applying the "psychedelic" label to them. I've always thought of them as ambient electronica.

Jarring

30 Jul 2015, 9:27 am

like i said, it's probably their association with warp records and idm.

everything you do is a balloon is considered one of the best idm songs ever.

i've never been a huge fan of them myself, even though i love the idm genre.. i'm just very picky when it comes to idm.

idm(intelligent dance music) tends to have a very psychedelic feel to it...which is why i can understand the correlation.

here's a good example of some very psychedelic sounding idm imo