Do aspie males have a harder time than aspie females ?

Page 1 of 11 [ 170 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next

Tom
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2005, 4:36 am

It's something I think about while readign this forum. What do you think?

Sean
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2005, 4:37 am

A harder time at what? You didn't specify.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2005, 6:31 am

It depends what you mean.

I think guys have the symptoms alot worse than women.

But Women probably have more trouble fitting in and all the social stuff, because most people expect women to chatter alot.

Overall I think it's harder having less symptoms of AS, not enough for it to be known, and too many to be normal.

Tally
Toucan
Toucan

11 May 2005, 7:44 am

I read that females are generally better at learning social skills. This could explain why more males than females are diagnosed as AS, because the signs in girls/women are not so noticeable. I'm not sure how true this is, but it would mean that it's easier for females.

chamoisee
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2005, 10:10 am

Females are less likely to be diagnosed and there are more expectations on us to be fluffy headed, social, and nurturing. I think girls have to fly in the face of convention more when they have AS. If you're a guy, and you're really well informed on a subject, it's great. Try doing the same as a girl..... it isn't the same.

Girls are also somewhat more likely to be molested or raped, and this IS an issue for Aspies because we are less likely to realize we are in danger from the person (especially if it's an aquaintance or family member) until it is too late.

I think that it has been documented that aspie males have more problems with aggression and rages (but I have seen aspie girls with this problem too!).

Malcolm_Scipo
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2005, 12:27 pm

So what? Aspies are less likely to commit crimes. Anyway, I believe girls with AS may have it slightly easier as more men will be interested in them than girls in men with AS.

I WAS NOT WHAT I HAD ALWAYS TRIED TO EMULATE.
INSTEAD A SHADOW OF FORMER GLORY.
AND THEN I CRIED.

Tom
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2005, 12:34 pm

true dat

Sarah
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

11 May 2005, 1:20 pm

I'm a girl but I seem to have very male AS traits, when I find things that compare the difference between Asperger's in males and females I always seem to stick very much to the more male Asperger traits, but not the really to the more typical female traits.

Does that make sense? If it doesn't I'll try and say it in a different way.

Sarcastic_Name
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2005, 3:17 pm

While were on the topic, could someone give a good definition of the differences? I currently susupect someone new at my workplace to have AS, but I don't know what the differences are between male and female AS.

Mutate
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 May 2005, 3:43 pm

ok, I'll add my 2 cents.... I think that on every aspie forum I have ever been on, the men are all mostly sad and lonely, whearas the females, while having the same problems, always have had no problems finding partners. There seems to me to be a lot more single males than females in the online Aspie world.

Civet
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2005, 3:52 pm

Quote:
whearas the females, while having the same problems, always have had no problems finding partners.

Speak for yourself :? .

Mutate
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 May 2005, 3:55 pm

aw...sorry :( my bad

Malcolm_Scipo
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2005, 4:14 pm

Shut up! Stop taking the piss out of my loneliness! Damn you. I am going to cry... Just kidding, but still damn you!

I WAS NOT WHAT I HAD ALWAYS TRIED TO EMULATE.
INSTEAD A SHADOW OF FORMER GLORY.
AND THEN I CRIED.

Mutate
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 May 2005, 4:19 pm

you can't say damn here?

MishLuvsHer2Boys
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2005, 7:23 pm

I think for me my main issue with dating when I was in my teens wasn't that I had a hard time getting 'found' by a guy. I had a body when I was younger that seemed to attract guys whether I liked it or not at times. For me the biggest thing is I either have a hard time keeping interest in the relationship/dating or if I do, it never really last long term before the other person is annoyed and tired of me. I felt like cursing my body when I was younger as I couldn't stand the type of attention it got me. Once the person got to know me better after a few dates or so, even my physical appearance couldn't keep their interest enough.

Absolute_Zero
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2005, 7:46 pm

I score 9.3 on hotornot.com yet don't get the flamingo dance and bs around attracting women. I haven't had a girl friend in 3 years and that was a very weak relationship. Right now i'm just trying to get stronger and in better shape because I know it will make me feel better anyway and also make girls like me more. Sad but true! It is however, a win-win situation. I can't logically see anything to lose from getting more in shape except for maybe I will attract more superficial idiots that I don't like. I honestly think the guys have it worse off because they are the ones who usually have to initiate contact.