Friend of friend claiming to have autism

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

teksla
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2015, 1:41 pm

Hello, since I am 15 and not in any way entitled to start claiming that the person in question does not have autism, but I find it highly unlikely that she would. And there are two main reasons for that.
The first being that she, in the past has ALWAYS claimed to have something, one month it is ADD/ADHD the next it is anxiety, amfetamin that it is depression them she claims to be a psychopath, after that she says she is a math genius (she obviously is not one), and now it is autism/aspergers.
The second is that she has made up her mind that she has it and uses it as an excuse to be able to say whatever she wants and shouts out that she has autism for attention.

Since I actually have Pddnos (diagnosed by a doctor) it feels very hurtful to me that someone like her takes one online test and is suddenly convinced that she has a serious developmental issue and uses it as an excuse to to whatever and say whatever she wants. I am not saying that she does not have it, because I am not a doctor but since she always seems to have a new disability every month it just seems highly unlikely to me.
Now my question is how should I react when she says she has autism? Should i tell her that it is offensive to say that or should I say something sympathetic? Or just ignore and avoid her (I do not like her in the first place, but since she is one of my friends friend I cannot avoid her without avoiding the few friends I have)
All suggestions are appreciated
Thank you

starfox
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2015, 1:46 pm

I think you ought to just let her play pretend. I used to know a girl like that. She wanted people to give her attention. She probably makes things up because that's her coping mechanism. If you call her up on it she isn't going to instantly change.

I don't see why you'd feel hurt though. She isn't causing you harm; is causing herself harm though.

Destruction and creation are 2 sides of the same coin.

iliketrees
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2015, 1:50 pm

Sounds like a hypochondriac. I don't really think there's anything you can do. Hope it's just a phase and she passes over it I guess.

doofy
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2015, 1:58 pm

I reckon that the act of collecting neurological disorders signifies a neurological disorder.

Since you say that you don't like her it ought to be a no brainer - avoid and ignore.

teksla
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2015, 2:04 pm

doofy wrote:
I reckon that the act of collecting neurological disorders signifies a neurological disorder.

Since you say that you don't like her it ought to be a no brainer - avoid and ignore.

Could be but I have discussed it with my other friends and all of us have come to the conclusion that she is just a hypochondriac and is desperate for attention

teksla
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2015, 2:09 pm

starfox wrote:
I think you ought to just let her play pretend. I used to know a girl like that. She wanted people to give her attention. She probably makes things up because that's her coping mechanism. If you call her up on it she isn't going to instantly change.

I don't see why you'd feel hurt though. She isn't causing you harm; is causing herself harm though.

I feel hurt because it feels like she is diminishing (think I can use that word in this context) my- and every one else who is on the spectrum's problems and issues.

doofy
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2015, 2:23 pm

Just cos she says she's autistic don't mean she isn't. :)

Hypochondria is a disorder - sometimes a serious one.

And what is so lacking in her that she craves attention?

teksla
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2015, 2:30 pm

doofy wrote:
Just cos she says she's autistic don't mean she isn't. :)

Hypochondria is a disorder - sometimes a serious one.

And what is so lacking in her that she craves attention?

She is what I would call a typical teenage fangirl, overly obsessed with a very mainstream TV show (not obsessed the way that aspies obsess). I do not know, I would assume she wants us to pay more attention to her tell us how she read some fanfiction about her favorite actor etc. I think she is lonely, nothing else. But I know that her claims to have been "diagnosed" hate false.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2015, 2:51 pm

Either she is a hypochondriac or she has serious issues where she likes to fake conditions for attention. I think that is called Munchhausen or Factitious syndrome but those two are on the same spectrum.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2015, 4:24 pm

I seriously doubt she intends any offense to actual autistic people. In fact, it might be a compliment - apparently, there's something she sees in autistics that makes her want to be one!