We shouldn't associate autism and libertarianism.

Page 3 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

brunorivard
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

22 Feb 2016, 1:34 am

I find this thread is somewhat misguided (but well-meaning) and fundamentally wrong. Here's why: say we have clear criteria to categorize people as having Asperger's or not and clear criteria to determine whether a person has libertarian political views or not. Then a sample group of individuals can be drawn from the population, tested and highly reliable statistics describing the probability that someone with Asperger's is a libertarians or vice versa can be calculated. Assuming that the testing procedure has accepted validity relative to our notion of Aspieness or libertariness, there is just not much left to contend with. AKA Science.

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2016, 2:40 am

We probably should associate success and libertarianism, among autistics and non-autistics alike.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

brunorivard
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

01 Mar 2016, 11:47 pm

Spiderpig wrote:
We probably should associate success and libertarianism, among autistics and non-autistics alike.

That would not be completely useless, obviously, but success in our society often means coming up with garbage or callous exploitation. Then there's direction of causality. If you're successful does that make you a libertarian? (Statistically) Then there's the issue of success of the society. I'm not the only one suspecting that libertarianism would lead to something that would make Mad Max look like Manhattan.

AR15000
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Mar 2016, 3:23 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
I think more often than not, Libertarians - Aspies or NT's - rarely know what it's like to need help. That's why most of us with Asperger's aren't Libertarians, despite the popular notion.

That's because they are fortunate enough by the circumstances of their lives to not be in a position where they're unable to get what they need.

Libertarianism is an ideology for the privileged and fortunate. I'm quite astonished at all the libertarians here on WP.

CommanderKeen
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2016, 6:50 am

I'm surprised at so many aspies that think the state will babysit them the rest of their lives and anyone who believes in persona liberty is somehow evil. You know you can subscribe to the idea of personal liberty, without being against helping people. You can even be semi-for some government programs and believe in personal liberty. I do not believe in the flat out elimination of welfare programs, but I do believe them to be a necessary evil; within a mixed economy system. If we had an economy that was stable, many of these programs would be unneeded and thus be able to be phased out, if not eliminated. I'm on ssi as I type this, but I certainly don't want to live off of it the rest of my life, nor do I expect to. I'm working on getting my life together. Now, I obviously know some people can't work and I'm not against them getting benefits; however my point is if we could still make a decent living doing an ordinary job, less and less people would need to be on welfare. If we had currency that was backed buy gold and not nothing at all, that would fix a lot of the problems. Look at what you could buy $100 years ago with a $1 and how much you can buy now.

CommanderKeen
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2016, 6:55 am

AR15000 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
I think more often than not, Libertarians - Aspies or NT's - rarely know what it's like to need help. That's why most of us with Asperger's aren't Libertarians, despite the popular notion.

That's because they are fortunate enough by the circumstances of their lives to not be in a position where they're unable to get what they need.

Libertarianism is an ideology for the privileged and fortunate. I'm quite astonished at all the libertarians here on WP.

Please explain how believing in personal liberty and constitutional values makes someone "privileged and fortunate." I live with my grandmother and I'm attending college. I don't have a car, a job, or a girlfriend. On top of that it's too much of a hostile environment for me to want to bring a woman here. Do I expect the government to fix my living situation? No, I do not. In fact I have tried to get on section 8(title 8 ) years ago and I'm still on the waiting list. Guess what, if we had sound currency, I would be able to move out right now. Government programs are NOT the salvation of modern society, sound money is.

AR15000
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Mar 2016, 10:30 am

CommanderKeen wrote:
AR15000 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Please explain how believing in personal liberty and constitutional values makes someone "privileged and fortunate." I live with my grandmother and I'm attending college. I don't have a car, a job, or a girlfriend. On top of that it's too much of a hostile environment for me to want to bring a woman here. Do I expect the government to fix my living situation? No, I do not. In fact I have tried to get on section 8(title 8 ) years ago and I'm still on the waiting list. Guess what, if we had sound currency, I would be able to move out right now. Government programs are NOT the salvation of modern society, sound money is.

What would you do if your folks had kicked you out of the house at age 18 and continually refused to provide ANY financial support?
Many disabled people who cannot work or find work are on welfare because otherwise they'd be homeless eating from dumpsters and sleeping on the streets. Not everyone in your situation has a family that is willing or even able to support them.

See, you are conflating personal freedom with economic freedom. Sound money is currency pegged to some commodity. Now the value of commodities fluctuates over time. Economic freedom means there is NO financial security for anyone and no matter how hard you work, how wise you are with your money, you could still lose everything you have and end up homeless. There really is no *invisible hand* of G-d that makes the economy work. It is a nonlinear dynamical system and guess what? The historical track record of the past 100 shows that the economy will spiral out of control and fall apart if left unmanaged.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

02 Mar 2016, 10:43 am

AR15000 wrote:
CommanderKeen wrote:
AR15000 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

What would you do if your folks had kicked you out of the house at age 18 and continually refused to provide ANY financial support?
Many disabled people who cannot work or find work are on welfare because otherwise they'd be homeless eating from dumpsters and sleeping on the streets. Not everyone in your situation has a family that is willing or even able to support them.

See, you are conflating personal freedom with economic freedom. Sound money is currency pegged to some commodity. Now the value of commodities fluctuates over time. Economic freedom means there is NO financial security for anyone and no matter how hard you work, how wise you are with your money, you could still lose everything you have and end up homeless. There really is no *invisible hand* of G-d that makes the economy work. It is a nonlinear dynamical system and guess what? The historical track record of the past 100 shows that the economy will spiral out of control and fall apart if left unmanaged.

It's been managed by a private bank for the past 100 years and hasn't fared any better, we seem just as unequal as before if not worse. You talk about this invisible hand and dynamic system then what the hell are we doing right now? I know the prevailing thought of modern economics amounts to worshipping "animal spirits" and making blood sacrifices to them.