We shouldn't associate autism and libertarianism.

Page 2 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

03 Aug 2015, 10:44 am

Actually, I think PPR isn't exactly evidence against an association between autism and libertarianism. There's a far higher concentration of ideological libertarians (i.e. people who believe governments should only exist in order to prevent or minimise direct exertion of force, because exertion of force is a bad thing) on here than in the rest of life.

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2015, 10:52 am

0_equals_true wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
But wouldn't that mean that the definition of the word is changing with how the word "libertarian" is used? For instance those who labeled themselves as liberals back in the 19th century would be called pro-business conservatives today.

I'm a trade Liberal in no way am I Conservative.

You're not living in the 19th century either.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2015, 5:07 pm

Ettina wrote:
0_equals_true wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
But wouldn't that mean that the definition of the word is changing with how the word "libertarian" is used? For instance those who labeled themselves as liberals back in the 19th century would be called pro-business conservatives today.

I'm a trade Liberal in no way am I Conservative.

You're not living in the 19th century either.

I never said I was.

Conservative tends to be anti-economic migration, except when it suits them, like when they are pushing multinational interests though collusion with other governments. They also believe in pseudo-properties/rights like Patents and Corporation law.

Liberals are compassionate becuase they are not passing social judgment on people's private lives, and should follow the harm principle to be Liberal.

As as Competitionist I'm compassionate becuase top heavy economies with lack of competition in sectors are unstable, putting more jobs at risk during a crisis. I make a distinction between capital and competition. I also want people to get paid more with less disparity through having a more diverse labour market meaning that people are not indentured and can afford to choose. In fact I would incentivise reducing the disparity within companies. Even if companies split or subcontract to work round this, that will have the side effect of producing more competition, which ties into the Labour market.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2015, 5:19 pm

Raptor wrote:
Conservative: Hardhearted and evil. :twisted:
Libertarian: Hardhearted

Conservatives are not necessarily evil they are just backwards. Although I'd defend their right to be backwards, so long as they don't push it on others.

glebel
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2015, 2:25 pm

0_equals_true wrote:
Conservative economics, has is own form of protectionism and collusion, even may of the people who call themselves Libertarians advocate it.

It all comes under the heading of pseudo-rights and pseudo-property (not to be confused with fundamental rights and concrete property), which is basically just collusion and protectionism.

How do you define Pseudo-rights and Pseudo-property? How do you define fundamental rights and fundamental property? These are just artificial terms that can be changed at the whim of a bureaucrat, so they have absolutely no real meaning. BUT, to get back to the original subject, you might as well say that all Toyota drivers are __________.

Cash__
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2015, 3:53 pm

I have never heard anyone make the association between autism and libertarianism? That's a new one to me.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

06 Aug 2015, 4:16 pm

Who makes that association and why do you care? Your own prejudice and stereotyping of other's views are what are making you unhappy. Perhaps someone would associate individualism with autism which in turn can can associated with libertarianism but that's passing at best. I suspect there probably are an inordinate amount of libertarians at least online that might fall on the spectrum, ton of INTJ/INTP personalities just as there are here but that's hardly scientific. I think it is best to try to not identify myself with any -isms tho, I don't box myself in like that and seeing people that way only divides. I don't feel the need to defend some imaginary strawman's beliefs.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2015, 5:09 pm

glebel wrote:
0_equals_true wrote:
Conservative economics, has is own form of protectionism and collusion, even may of the people who call themselves Libertarians advocate it.

It all comes under the heading of pseudo-rights and pseudo-property (not to be confused with fundamental rights and concrete property), which is basically just collusion and protectionism.

How do you define Pseudo-rights and Pseudo-property? How do you define fundamental rights and fundamental property? These are just artificial terms that can be changed at the whim of a bureaucrat, so they have absolutely no real meaning. BUT, to get back to the original subject, you might as well say that all Toyota drivers are __________.

Not true. Actually is very easy to define. There a very few fundamental rights:

- Freedom to thrive (against death, against cruel or unusual punishment, privacy, liberty, assembly, movement, etc)
- Freedom of due process.
- Freedom of expression (speech, association, press, thought, etc)
- Freedom of self-determination (some democratic process)

That is all. All other rights are either derivative or not related to fundamental rights. For instance the right to a legal marriage is not a fundamental right, it is a legal provision. You can have fundamental rights without it becuase freedom expression allows cultural and religious practices without need for legal recognition.

One of the key principle of right is one person's rights shouldn't diminish another's. The more "special" or pseudo-rights that are afforded the greater chance of this principle being violated.

Pseudo-rights often require some special status, recognition protection or collusion. So it is important to oppose them, as they degrade the principles of rights.

CommanderKeen
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2015, 12:26 am

Raptor wrote:
luan78zao wrote:
DarthMetaKnight wrote:
We Shouldn't Associate Autism And Libertarianism

Nobody who's spent five minutes in PPR would do anything of the kind.

True.
Libertarian are only one notch below conservatives on the measuring stick of meanness.

Yeah, damn those Libertarians for wanting the government from taking away liberties. You know maybe you should change your avatar. Clint Eastwood is a Libertarian.

Sigbold
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2015, 10:54 pm

0_equals_true wrote:
Conservative tends to be anti-economic migration, except when it suits them, like when they are pushing multinational interests though collusion with other governments.

No, politicians calling themselves conservative do such things. And the irony is that supporting the cheap-labor lobby damages their electoral changes and political interests. Such conservative politicians could be compared with the bird who sits above the other bird :

0_equals_true wrote:
Conservatives are not necessarily evil they are just backwards. Although I'd defend their right to be backwards, so long as they don't push it on others.

Of course it should come as no surprise that a liberal embraces the idea of progress. And alto you give them the right to be backwards (as you label them), you deny them the right to try and convince others of their positions. Which is probably the privilege of those holding the correct political viewpoints.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2015, 11:10 pm

0_equals_true wrote:
Raptor wrote:

No, we're hard hearted and evil.
Just ask any liberal on this side of the big pond.
I get a kick out of it, myself.
:P

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2015, 11:39 pm

CommanderKeen wrote:
Raptor wrote:
luan78zao wrote:
DarthMetaKnight wrote:
We Shouldn't Associate Autism And Libertarianism

Nobody who's spent five minutes in PPR would do anything of the kind.

True.
Libertarian are only one notch below conservatives on the measuring stick of meanness.

Yeah, damn those Libertarians for wanting the government from taking away liberties.

For the most part I have nothing against libertarianism since some of my values lean more libertarian than traditional conservative. But if I were a libertarian I'd only be hard hearted. However, in being a conservative I get to be hard hearted and as an added and highly valued bonus; EVIL. :twisted:
Go back and read some of the threads in this forum, especially the ones that discuss social programs, and you'll see what I mean and how I arrived at these labels of hard hearted and evil.

Quote:
You know maybe you should change your avatar. Clint Eastwood is a Libertarian.

That's a Dirty Harry avatar. This, I believe, is from the opening scene of the first Dirty Harry movie and sort of sets the tone of all Dirty Harry flicks that follow. I can never find exactly the avatar I want so I take what I can get.

Personally, I neither know nor care about Eastwood's politics. He's an outstanding actor and director and that's all I'm looking for.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2015, 2:53 pm

Raptor wrote:

Aww raptor is such a cuddly little bird.
:heart:

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2015, 3:57 pm

Sigbold wrote:
No, politicians calling themselves conservative do such things. And the irony is that supporting the cheap-labor lobby damages their electoral changes and political interests. Such conservative politicians could be compared with the bird who sits above the other bird :

Such policy is very popular ATM though. Just look at the elections in the US and UK.

0_equals_true wrote:
Of course it should come as no surprise that a liberal embraces the idea of progress. And alto you give them the right to be backwards (as you label them), you deny them the right to try and convince others of their positions. Which is probably the privilege of those holding the correct political viewpoints.

Arguments like "you stop me from proving my point" are lame and factually inaccurate. When have I done this? Are you are trying to associate me with some group?, This questionable that they have had the capacity to do as you say as ordinary citizens. Yes most major political parties have tried to exhaust the resource of certain activists and sometimes the succeed but this is hardly an exclusive tactic, it is about as far away from my sort of politics that you can get.

So before you try to pigeonhole, I should remind you that there is a whole other world out there.

Maybe you should read what a said about fundamental rights before you level such accusation against me. You couldn't be more wrong about me.

Also it up to you to be persuasive. Criticism is not censorship. Even if you are under some social pressure, unless you are actually prevented from expressing yourself then you still have your freedom to do so.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2015, 8:04 pm

0_equals_true wrote:
Raptor wrote:

Aww raptor is such a cuddly little bird.
:heart:

Aint I just adorable? :heart: :heart:

yelekam
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2015, 8:19 pm

Skibz888 wrote:
Maybe it's just me, but in my 27 years I've never heard any associations between autism and any form of political or religious belief or orientation.

I'm just seeing a lot of "we shouldn't associate autism and _____" posts and threads around here and it's confusing the heck out of me.

I myself have seen a number of posts and threads claiming associations between autism and various political and religious affiliations, including that of libertarianism.