Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

01 Aug 2015, 9:49 pm

I had a double mastectomy 8 months ago. I have no cancer. My only problem now is that I don't want to wear a bra. I have hated them for 50 years and now I don't need one. Except that I am obese, which means my belly measures 58" around. I look like I'm pregnant with triplets. I bought one of those special bras and I hate it. And I'm fed up of pleasing the world.

So it should be simple? If I could lose a lot of weight then I'd just look like an ironing board, which would be fine. But I really do look very pregnant. Of course I can't be; I'm 64 and have white hair.

I have gone out - to hell with strangers. But now my nephew and his family want to visit - yikes, 3 young teenage boys that I haven't met yet (2nd marriage). Do you think I might scare them silly? Should I cave and put on that loathsome, hurtful bra and look normal? It does look fine. But my soul wanted to be free at last.

Is this going to make any sense to anybody?

Beau
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2015, 12:38 am

Hey Claradoon.

I don't think you'd scare your family if you were to go braless. How about wearing layers or a loose-fitting sweater/jacket?

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

02 Aug 2015, 6:09 am

Beau wrote:
Hey Claradoon.

I don't think you'd scare your family if you were to go braless. How about wearing layers or a loose-fitting sweater/jacket?

It's way too hot for layers. It's been 90 degrees and we're expecting more of the same.

Loose-fitting tops is what I usually wear but it doesn't help.

questor
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2015, 5:27 pm

How long a visit is this supposed to be? if it's just for the day, wear the mastectomy bra, while they are there. If it is a longer visit,--several days, then wear the bra at the beginning of the visit on the first day, and if you all go out anywhere. However, let them know on the evening of the first day, that you had an operation several months ago, and your chest still hurts, so around the house you go bra-less most of the time.

I understand how you feel. I have never been able to find a comfortable bra. I live alone now, so around the house I go bra-less, and only wear them when going out, or expecting company. I had a complete hysterectomy almost ten years ago due to cancer, so I am at increased risk for other types of cancer. I decided a while back that if I ever need a double mastectomy, I won't have new boobs put in, I will just get some type of mastectomy bra to wear when I must go out.

Why?! Oh, why, can't someone design a comfortable, supporting, and wireless bra that won't ride up?! :( :roll: