Page 3 of 5 [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

glebel
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2015, 11:13 am

Being descended from Union Army soldiers, I would never fly the Rebel Rag; however, this is indeed another example of political correctness. Just because some pinheads want to ramrod their beliefs down our throats makes me almost want to fly it. This all comes down to freedom of speech. If someone wants to fly it on their own property, more power to them. And by the way, some people display it who aren't racist.

Fugu
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2015, 11:30 am

Raptor wrote:
adifferentname wrote:
blauSamstag wrote:
Why wouldn't i? Being black doesn't prevent someone from being a stupid as*hole.

Take Kanye for example.

I thought the people flying the Confederate Flag were meant to be the intolerant ones. It's hilarious watching you fighting to rid yourself of your right to free speech, all in the name of... what exactly?

Ah, yes; the progressive hypocrisy.
On the average they are at least every bit as intolerant, hateful, and violent as those they so vehemently oppose for being.............intolerant, hateful, and violent.
not really surprising that you're fond of such twisted logic I suppose. :roll:

Fugu
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2015, 11:42 am

glebel wrote:
Being descended from Union Army soldiers, I would never fly the Rebel Rag; however, this is indeed another example of political correctness. Just because some pinheads want to ramrod their beliefs down our throats makes me almost want to fly it. This all comes down to freedom of speech. If someone wants to fly it on their own property, more power to them. And by the way, some people display it who aren't racist.
claiming that public opinion turning against a traitor flag is somehow pinheads ramrodding beliefs is dishonest tbh. it should never have been flown on government grounds.

blauSamstag
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2015, 11:54 am

adifferentname wrote:
blauSamstag wrote:
Raptor wrote:
adifferentname wrote:
blauSamstag wrote:
Why wouldn't i? Being black doesn't prevent someone from being a stupid as*hole.

Take Kanye for example.

I thought the people flying the Confederate Flag were meant to be the intolerant ones. It's hilarious watching you fighting to rid yourself of your right to free speech, all in the name of... what exactly?

On the average they are at least every bit as intolerant, hateful, and violent as those they so vehemently oppose for being.............intolerant, hateful, and violent.

How is intolerance of the despicable a sin, or somehow inconsistent with progressive thought?

blauSamstag wrote:
Being black doesn't prevent someone from being a stupid as*hole.

Said by you, of people whose only 'failing' is to disagree with you.

There is a word for this.

You know what that word is.

Wait, at what time did i advocate the restriction of individual right of free speech?

I encourage the racists and confederate apologists to express themselves by waving their as*hole flag as high as they can.

There is a difference, fwiw, between disagreeing and just being wrong.

Fugu
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2015, 12:13 pm

it should be noted that unlimited tolerance would necessarily end with tolerance being destroyed by intolerance and that intolerant ideas and intolerant people are not mutually inclusive.

Quote:
source:Karl Popper

Less well known is the paradox of tolerance: Unlimited tolerance must lead to the disappearance of tolerance. If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them.

In this formulation, I do not imply, for instance, that we should always suppress the utterance of intolerant philosophies; as long as we can counter them by rational argument and keep them in check by public opinion, suppression would certainly be unwise.

But we should claim the right to suppress them if necessary even by force; for it may easily turn out that they are not prepared to meet us on the level of rational argument, but begin by denouncing all argument; they may forbid their followers to listen to rational argument, because it is deceptive, and teach them to answer arguments by the use of their fists or pistols. We should therefore claim, in the name of tolerance, the right not to tolerate the intolerant.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2015, 1:06 pm

Fugu wrote:
Raptor wrote:
adifferentname wrote:
blauSamstag wrote:

Take Kanye for example.

There, fixed it for ya.

Fugu
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2015, 1:51 pm

Raptor wrote:
Fugu wrote:
Raptor wrote:

There, fixed it for ya.
you missed a bit. don't worry, I got it for you :)

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2015, 5:37 pm

blauSamstag wrote:

Wait, at what time did i advocate the restriction of individual right of free speech?

Is that the yardstick by which you measure how far your personal morality may be allowed to bend?

Quote:
I encourage the racists and confederate apologists to express themselves by waving their as*hole flag as high as they can.

Likewise there is a difference between disagreeing and characterising those whose views are different to your own as stupid as*holes, you know, fwiw.

Looking at it from my position, with no vested interest in either you or them, I have a very different opinion regarding who happens to be 'wrong'. Am I a stupid as*hole too? How long before the world is just you surrounded by a sea of stupid as*holes?

blauSamstag
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2015, 7:22 pm

adifferentname wrote:
blauSamstag wrote:

Is that the yardstick by which you measure how far your personal morality may be allowed to bend?

No, it was a direct response to when you wrote " It's hilarious watching you fighting to rid yourself of your right to free speech, all in the name of... what exactly?"

I actually want to know when i wrote something that suggested anything about restricting free speech.

I am pretty sure i didn't.

Quote:
Quote:

Likewise there is a difference between disagreeing and characterising those whose views are different to your own as stupid as*holes, you know, fwiw.

Looking at it from my position, with no vested interest in either you or them, I have a very different opinion regarding who happens to be 'wrong'. Am I a stupid as*hole too? How long before the world is just you surrounded by a sea of stupid as*holes?

How long before??

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2015, 3:29 am

blauSamstag wrote:
Raptor wrote:
adifferentname wrote:
blauSamstag wrote:

Take Kanye for example.

How is intolerance of the despicable a sin, or somehow inconsistent with progressive thought?

Damn, I missed this earlier. Good thing I found it.
I was talking more about hypocrisy than just intolerance.
Examples:
- Talking (even whining) incessantly about racism but being overheard that they don't want a "ni66er" handling thier money, living next to them, or dating thier daughter.
- Getting all wrapped around the axle over trophy hunting in Africa while not doing diddly to help homeless animals in their own comunity.
- Lamenting over harm to the environment but quitey yet casually admitting that they still dump used motor oil in a ditch and/or driving a not so environmentally friendly vehicle.

Just stuff that comes to mind that I've observed IRL and online.
And here's some more:
http://townhall.com/tags/liberal-hypocrisy/

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2015, 12:17 pm

Yeah,yeah,even Liberals can be hypocrites.Its human nature.Like Conserves can't be,I watched the debate.lol
But I agree on some points,people that claim to be environmentalists running around in a hummer.I drive an old Pontiac becuse I can't afford a new vehicle,and the ones that are gas efficient are built right on the ground.Never make it up my drive.
Yup my house is all wood.Most was locally sourced from saw mills around here.Better on the environment than vinyl siding.But I have a regular sized house,not a giant lodge like some people build.Must cost them a small fortune to heat and cool and I don't see them trying to go solar.
People that grow a fit about Deer hunting when they are overpopulated,eating the ginseng and other rare plants.
Then when the deer eat their garden they beg someone to come in and hunt them.As in someone they threatened to call the Game Warden (aka Possum Police)on.

blauSamstag
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2015, 12:27 pm

Yeah none of those three really match me.

At any rate, high ideals and hipocracy go hand in hand. We're all hypocrites. And that includes you.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2015, 12:31 pm

Never said I wasn't.I'm also a b***h.And that's Ms.b***h to you.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2015, 1:57 pm

But conservatives pride themselves in being warmongers, racists, builies, and wreckers of the environment just to name a few. :D
There's no hypocrisy when a hard hearted conservative partakes in any of the above.
There IS when a liberal does. :shameonyou:

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2015, 3:06 pm

You still driving a rice burner?Then you are a conservative hypocrite.Shouldnt you be coal rolling?

blauSamstag
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2015, 5:04 pm

Misslizard wrote:
You still driving a rice burner?Then you are a conservative hypocrite.Shouldnt you be coal rolling?

Who me?

I actually have 4 cars but the daily gets 32mpg on the freeway according to the epa.

But i carpool in a diesel beetle.

The other 2 cars and the truck don't get driven much.

Fwiw i am not much of an eco nut but i do maintain emission control on my vehicles and i absolutely know people who could get me a sticker without actually passing. I prefer to pass required inspections.

But, like obama and hillary, i believe that the keystone xl pipeline is the lesser evil of the choices we actually have. Not that hillary admits this.

I also know that you can't save the environment by buying a new car. All the emissions my old 13.5mpg '94 truck puts out over all the miles i will ever drive it is less than the manufacture of a single hybrid car.