We shouldn't associate autism and smartassery

Page 3 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

sophisticated
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Nov 2015, 1:30 pm

The other day a colleague of mine asked me "Why do you always have to be such a smart ass".

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2015, 1:44 pm

Funny.

I always thought of smartassery as a NT weapon against AS folks. Not the other way around.

sophisticated
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Nov 2015, 1:59 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Funny.

I always thought of smartassery as a NT weapon against AS folks. Not the other way around.

NT's do it knowingly whilst AS folks do it unknowingly.

Look at this autistic kid, he comes across as a complete as*hole:

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2015, 2:09 pm

^
If its not intentional then it isnt true smartassery.

It's....

"dumbassery"??

Maybe not.

It would "psuedosmartassery". Or "False smart ass syndrome".

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2015, 5:31 pm

SoMissunderstood wrote:
When I get impatient with an illogical argument, I will usually resort to 'smartassery' to end it (or try), which usually gets me into a shedload of trouble....eg:

Admin: "You are not allowed to discuss this on our forum"?

Me: "Why not? I didn't see any reference to it in your board rules or terms of service".

Admin: "It's because the methods you use don't justify the existence of the paranormal"

Me: "Does any method justify it?"

Admin: "I'm just going to go ahead and ban your account for being a smartass now"...

I cop it all the time for being logically blunt whenever I get pissed off.

I read your entire thread on the general forum about "the voices", so I have some context for this exchange.

I can empathize, the urge to put stupid-rule people in their place is great.

Unfortunate_Aspie_
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2015, 10:35 pm

sophisticated wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
Funny.

NT's do it knowingly whilst AS folks do it unknowingly.

Look at this autistic kid, he comes across as a complete as*hole:

Huh! Sometimes when I see autistic people I think- You are so obvious. SO OBVIOUSLY socially inept, but then sometimes I look at autistic people and I'm like: you are a relative social ninja :ninja:

But this kid- wow, he did seem like a smart ass haha- I suppose (much like my younger self) he hasn't learned the art of "don't correct other people ever" no one likes to be corrected... :roll:

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2015, 4:35 am

Autism is more often associated to social stupidity.

Cockroach96
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2015, 5:37 am

AspieOtaku wrote:
This reminds me when I was in elementary school and when the teacher said "don't talk smart to me" I replied back "Why? I go to school to get smart!" Then I ended up going to the principles office and had detention! It was worth it, trololo!

Tell the teacher and the principle to go to hell. People like them deserved to be guillotined.

Grammar Geek
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2015, 5:45 pm

^...Well then.

I was called a "smart aleck" so often in elementary school and would always get punished for it. I never knew what I was doing wrong, so I didn't know how to stop getting in trouble. I can't stop holding grudges against former teachers for treating me like this. Unhealthy, I know, but man...I just want to go up to them with my diagnosis and say "SEE? SEE? I never intended to act like that! You had no reason to treat me like that!"

Unfortunate_Aspie_
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2015, 7:44 pm

Grammar Geek wrote:
^...Well then.

I was called a "smart aleck" so often in elementary school and would always get punished for it. I never knew what I was doing wrong, so I didn't know how to stop getting in trouble. I can't stop holding grudges against former teachers for treating me like this. Unhealthy, I know, but man...I just want to go up to them with my diagnosis and say "SEE? SEE? I never intended to act like that! You had no reason to treat me like that!"

Aw man I can't talk about teachers or school for very long without getting extremely angry about how I as an AS kid was treating- honestly treating someone who OBVIOUSLY had NO f*****g CLUE what was going on that way.... just really gets to me.
Like really teachers? Did you have to stoop so low as to bully essentially a disabled confused and perpetually scared child? Year after year? Often in front of all the other students?? :?
So unnecessary ....
I hope AS kids now have more understanding from school officials/teachers (one can only hope...). :|