We shouldn't associate autism and smartassery

Page 1 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2015, 5:35 am

Should we?

Unfortunately, I don't know how to go about not associating them. Especially because I am a smartass.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2015, 5:40 am

Spiderpig wrote:
Should we?

Unfortunately, I don't know how to go about not associating them. Especially because I am a smartass.

I have always had the reputation as a "smart alec" for better or worse because I was really good at witty retorts and impulsive about using them. I had to train myself not to do it but eventually, I stopped due to consideration of others.

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2015, 12:39 pm

This reminds me when I was in elementary school and when the teacher said "don't talk smart to me" I replied back "Why? I go to school to get smart!" Then I ended up going to the principles office and had detention! It was worth it, trololo!

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2015, 12:42 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Spiderpig wrote:
Should we?

I have always had the reputation as a "smart alec" for better or worse because I was really good at witty retorts and impulsive about using them. I had to train myself not to do it but eventually, I stopped due to consideration of others.

Holy dogshi+ Batman we have something in common!! !! ! 8O

When I was a kid smartassery, scathing sarcasm, and mocking condescension peppered with bold profanity was my true art medium. :D
The old man walloped me upside the head numerous times at the dinner table and knocked me clean off of my chair once because I just couldn't hold it back when the sheer stupidity that was thier hallmark would leak from his or my mother's mouths. :P

As I got older I had to let up on it some because socially it doesn't go over well.
Of course, I could never stop completely. :twisted:

Hyperborean
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2015, 12:53 pm

Being a smart alec is one of life's greatest pleasures. 8)

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2015, 1:02 pm

Better to be a smartass than a dumbass! I guess we can call it Smartassburgers!

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2015, 1:29 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Spiderpig wrote:
Should we?

Learning how to control the impulse to blurt out the first amusing thing that occurs to me is an ongoing struggle that I fear I shall never overcome.

AspieOtaku wrote:
Better to be a smartass than a dumbass! I guess we can call it Smartassburgers!

That's the perfect name for a hipster diner.

kamiyu910
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2015, 1:34 pm

I'm not as good at it as the rest of my family, but I've been known to be a smartass :3
You should see my entire family, including my dad's siblings and uncles and cousins. We'd be joking at the apocalypse. That's just how we deal. I think they can make a pun out of anything.

When we decided to all go to Disneyland as a family, the Indiana Jones ride died on us right as the boulder was rolling towards us, and as everything was pitch black, we started joking about how the boulder had probably crushed us and we were dead.

We use humor, even at funerals. At my grandpa's, we had a potluck and stood around telling bad stories about him. Our humor has gotten us in a lot of trouble :P

Hyperborean
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2015, 1:58 pm

kamiyu910 wrote:
Our humor has gotten us in a lot of trouble :P

But it's still great fun, isn't it! :lol:

Skibz888
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2015, 2:05 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:

Seconded. I used to fancy myself a smart alec because I was likewise quite adept at snarky witticisms, but I stopped because I would feel immensely bad if I happened to hurt somebody's feelings. I'm too sensitive for my own good sometimes. Every now and then I find myself occasionally letting loose a little snippy jab here and there, but I often play it up as a joke as much as possible to let people know I'm not being malicious...usually I just turn it around on myself in self-deprecation.

adifferentname wrote:
Learning how to control the impulse to blurt out the first amusing thing that occurs to me is an ongoing struggle that I fear I shall never overcome.

I still have those issues, but luckily with me its more TMI stuff than it is anything derogatory or condescending towards others.

blauSamstag
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2015, 2:51 pm

I'd rather be a smartass than a dumbass.

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2015, 3:10 pm

Dad used to ride my ass for having no sense of humor. His idea of humor was to berate me in front of my friends. I was a Monty Python/Benny Hill/Bob "Skislope nose" Hope/Peter Schickele/Gerard Hoffnung/Victor Borge fan. I can be a smart ass, but not say anything, other than "I could make a smart remark right now, but I won't." If the situation warranted it.

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2015, 3:38 pm

Skibz888 wrote:
adifferentname wrote:

I still have those issues, but luckily with me its more TMI stuff than it is anything derogatory or condescending towards others.

Oh, I no longer consider it an issue. I'm lucky enough to mostly associate with very tolerant and understanding people. And yes, it's more likely to be self-deprecating than derogatory.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2015, 4:02 pm

Me? Never :wink:

I have a silver tongue on occasion :P

Skibz888
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2015, 4:52 pm

blauSamstag wrote:
I'd rather be a smartass than a dumbass.

You make it sound like it's an either-or, rather than realizing that there's a massive middle ground between being snotty and being ignorant...

...as if the two are even related? If we're going by direct opposites, it'd either be "smart vs. dumb" (which has nothing to do with how you interact with people) or "arrogant vs. humble" (which has nothing to do with intelligence).

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2015, 5:02 pm

There are people who claim there's no intelligence without arrogance. There are also people who seem to think you're smarter the more people you consider dumb and make it known.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.