Is this a phobia? And if so, who else has it?

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Eric2971
Raven
Raven

02 Aug 2015, 2:20 pm

For as long as I can remember, I could not stand having different foods touching on my plate. I always have to tell the wait staff at any restaurant to give me everything on separate plates. My ex complained non-stop about how many dishes I dirtied. I love a good rare steak and potatoes to go with, but the slightest hint of pink in my potatoes and I was ready to go heave in the bathroom. Anyone else have this issue?

Quetiapine 300mg Morning
Quetiapine 100mg Night
Depakote 1500mg Night
Sertaline 75mg 2xDaily
Bupropion 100mg 2xDaily
Gabapentin 600mg Morning
Gabapentin 300mg Night

Imagine my therapist's embarrassment when it turned out they really were after me.;)

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2015, 3:29 pm

There are some really unusual phobias you don't hear as often about, so I don't think this phobia even has a name. But phobia is a bit of an overused word. There's a difference between having a healthy fear of something or being so terrified you can't live normally or pleasantly.

Fibbox
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

04 Aug 2015, 5:20 am

I experienced a similar thing recently.

My brother's birthday was two weeks ago and we went to a rather fancy restaurant for dinner. I ordered bird. Just bird, they didn't specify what bird. When i got the food the bird was under heaps of other food and all my food was to me was more of a visual thing rather than something you eat. Even after the food was heaped off i didn't want to eat it.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2015, 5:30 am

Common in autism but not exclusive to it. A few days ago at dinner I heard one of my NT relatives talking about hating having their food touch. I noticed at that time that my food was not only touching, but mixed together some. But don't think this is a phobia and not really all that uncommon. Just wonder how someone that hates different food touching deals with stew or soup or salad, where different food items are mixed up together.

glebel
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2015, 11:26 am

I definitely don't like the food on my plate to touch, although I don't think of this as a phobia. Who wants their potatoes to taste like vinaigrette? Also, this always gave me an opportunity to drive my obnoxious older brother around the bend by really exaggerating this behavior. Ah, sweet revenge! :P