Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2015, 11:50 pm

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

Sigbold
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2015, 11:54 pm

I did not watch the video. But just based on the title of the video I would say it is a pretty lame attempt to reach out to youngsters who like gangsta rap.

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2015, 11:58 pm

Sigbold wrote:
I did not watch the video. But just based on the title of the video I would say it is a pretty lame attempt to reach out to youngsters who like gangsta rap.
It was and was an epic fail, these are old farts who are white and wanting to be hip and trying to get into hip hop culture but failing miserably and instead of the n word ending with a its with an er!

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2015, 12:15 am

Lighthearted humor.
If it was intended to reach out to the yoots with a message of Christianity then bless thier hearts for trying.

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2015, 1:16 am

Raptor wrote:
Lighthearted humor.
If it was intended to reach out to the yoots with a message of Christianity then bless thier hearts for trying.

No! This is flagrant cultural appropriation and everyone involved should be dragged into the streets and shot! Gangsta style!

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2015, 1:27 am

adifferentname wrote:
Raptor wrote:
Lighthearted humor.

No! This is flagrant cultural appropriation and everyone involved should be dragged into the streets and shot! Gangsta style!

I had fried chicken for supper today so I guess I'm guilty of "cultural appropriation", too. :P

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2015, 1:29 am

Raptor wrote:
adifferentname wrote:
Raptor wrote:
Lighthearted humor.

I had fried chicken for supper today so I guess I'm guilty of "cultural appropriation", too. :P

:lol:

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2015, 1:40 pm

I have to say, that was just too sad to be offensive. :lol: If anything, those old fundie farts are going make urban youths want to go to hell just to avoid listening to that anymore!

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2015, 5:37 pm

It's an epic fail for one reason. Its not because of the N word, but because they put the word "my" in front of the N word.

I just couldn't get past that .

I would have said "Jesus Christ is my home boy", or "my homie".

Even if you're trying to parrot Black rappers (who do routinely call themselves "niggas") when you describe someone as "my n****r" it still sounds like you mean that the person is your "peon", or your "toady", your "subordinate", or even... your "b***h". "Jesus Christ is my...."? You get my drift?

"Homeboy" would sound better. At least to me. More like what the pastor means.

Though if he had substituted the word "a" for "my", and had rapped about how JC was "a n***a" ( ie a carpenter's son from the slums of Galilee, who got mistreated, ) he might have been on to an interesting theme. Though it might be a bit blasphemous to go that way.

iBlockhead
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Aug 2015, 6:12 pm

The OP's video has been out for years. Nothing new here.

That is why people need to know more about Christian Black Metal (or Unblack Metal, or White Metal, since it is supposed to be the complete opposite). Could get some completely new threads here.

For example, this song is apparently based on Colossians 2:14-15:

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2015, 10:30 pm

Cultural appropriation - I know that is not the focus, but I cannot help reacting. Exactly what proportion of the culture of African sourced Americans - and cultures would be more correct - does anyone seriously believe is African? My answer - very little. A god bit of independently evolved due to voluntary / involuntrary segregation. And a lot of American melting pot.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2015, 6:38 am

Philologos wrote:
Cultural appropriation - I know that is not the focus, but I cannot help reacting. Exactly what proportion of the culture of African sourced Americans - and cultures would be more correct - does anyone seriously believe is African? My answer - very little. A god bit of independently evolved due to voluntary / involuntrary segregation. And a lot of American melting pot.

Welcome back Philogos. Long time no see.

I hope that you realize that the posters on this thread who are talking about "cultural appropriation" are being purely sarcastic ( are making fun of folks who care about 'cultural appropriation'- whatever that even is).

But even if they were being serious - its "cultural appropriation from Black Americans" - but since you supposedly can't call Blacks "Blacks" anymore- you have to call them "African American"-you have to phrase it as "cultural appropriation from African Americans". But that doesn't necessarily mean that anyone is claiming that the culture being appropriated from African Americans is African in origin. Kinda like a "Kurt Vonnegut Jr. College". It would NOT be a "junior college". It would be a four year college named after a famous author whose name ended with "junior". Lol!

And you're right that though Blacks do have a distinct subculture in the USA very little of it is the legacy of Africa- and most is from separate cultural evolution right here in North America. Though if you dig deep enough you can find Africa in some areas of the Black subculture (like styles of Christian worship).In contrast much of Africa is quite obvious in the Black communities in Brazil, and in the Caribbean.

Skibz888
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2015, 11:03 am

Sorry to break it to you, everybody, but the original video is 100% hoax. Parody. Not real. Fake-a-mundo.

Quote:
In the following weeks, a number of Christian news outlets and viral media blogs, including The Christian Post and The Daily Dot, raised skepticism over the authenticity of the music video, as further fact-checking confirmed that 1) there is no digital footprint of an Iowan pastor by the name of James Colerick on the web; 2) the church in West Dubuque, Iowa thought to be affiliated with Pastor Colerick shut down in 2004, according to the last news bulletin posted on its defunct website; and 3) the domain name for the church was registered on January 15th, 2013, about a month before Spinney had uploaded the music video to YouTube.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2015, 12:35 pm

Skibz888 wrote:
Sorry to break it to you, everybody, but the original video is 100% hoax. Parody. Not real. Fake-a-mundo.

Quote:
In the following weeks, a number of Christian news outlets and viral media blogs, including The Christian Post and The Daily Dot, raised skepticism over the authenticity of the music video, as further fact-checking confirmed that 1) there is no digital footprint of an Iowan pastor by the name of James Colerick on the web; 2) the church in West Dubuque, Iowa thought to be affiliated with Pastor Colerick shut down in 2004, according to the last news bulletin posted on its defunct website; and 3) the domain name for the church was registered on January 15th, 2013, about a month before Spinney had uploaded the music video to YouTube.

Ooooookay, that's why it's so damn goofy! :lol: