Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

TiredMom
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 Aug 2015, 12:59 pm

My daughter is leaving for college in 10 days. She's been doing great--especially after we got her off of Singulair, which she had been taking for asthma (the psychotropic effects of Singulair are another story).
She has been suffering from horrendous menstrual cramps ever since she got her period at age 9.
We have been trying various forms of birth control for the cramps over the last few years, but most had no effect, some gave her migraines, etc. Last week, her gynecologist inserted the Implanon implant in her arm, and she has had two meltdowns within the last two days (after nothing at all for several months). I am totally freaked out--I suppose it could just be anxiety about going to college, but what if it's the Implanon, and she's going to be away from home?
Does anyone have any experience/advice they could share? There was a very brief thread about this a couple of years ago, but I haven't seen anything since.

Darcygirl
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 Aug 2015, 5:02 pm

I had one of these and hated it. I now have a different brand and its much better.

The UK NHS doesn't use implanon any more - I can't remember the brand I have now.

Agemaki
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Aug 2015, 4:45 am

I have Nexplanon. I think it is more or less the same thing. I really like it and I've had it for about three years (I'll be due for a new one in January). The first few months were a little rough, kind of like going through puberty again: moodiness, paranoia, acne, vaginal dryness/itchiness (which I treated with a moisturizer). But after the first few months it was great. No more menstruation, no more cramps/pms. About twice or so I had some minor spotting so I keep a pad in my purse but otherwise it's been fantastic. Everyone has a different reaction though so you should talk it over with your daughter and see if she thinks it is worth trying to stick it out for the first few months to see if the symptoms will get better.

Best of luck to you and your daughter.