We shouldn't associate autism and STEM fields

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Barchan
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2015, 2:49 pm

There's a stereotype making the rounds for the last few years, that autistic people are naturally good at STEM fields (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math). I feel like this is harmful to autistic youths, who may be trying to figure out what they're good at, and end up being pushed into science/engineering/etc. by their parents, whether they like it or not.

This is especially problematic for women and minorities, who frequently face discrimination in the STEM fields, though that's a separate issue that goes beyond the scope of this thread. Basically I don't want autistic people to feel like their options are inherently limited.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2015, 3:40 pm

Ironically, the sterotype is promoted by autistic activists to explain why society needs autistic people.

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2015, 4:25 pm

Of course not---the proper association for autism is stim fields.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

glebel
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2015, 3:20 pm

Our options are inherently limited. And as far as parents pushing their children into an area that the kids shouldn't be in, that appears to be what most parents do because they want the best for their kids.

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2015, 3:37 pm

And they have every right to.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

Barchan
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2015, 10:47 pm

glebel wrote:
Our options are inherently limited.

They're not, though. You can have any career you want; having a disability just means you'll have to work harder, it doesn't mean it's impossible.

There's nothing stopping you from pursuing any career in the world. Your only limitation is your own attitude. Knock it off with this defeatist bull***t.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2015, 11:05 pm

In one study, autistic college students had highest rate of STEM majors compared to normal and other groups.
Many people in STEM have a lot of autistic traits.
There is association between autism and STEM, and if any autistic child has interest in STEM, it is good for parents to strongly encourage the interest, as STEM careers and people may be some of the most compatible with autistic traits and brain.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2015, 11:38 pm

btbnnyr wrote:
In one study, autistic college students had highest rate of STEM majors compared to normal and other groups.
Many people in STEM have a lot of autistic traits.
There is association between autism and STEM, and if any autistic child has interest in STEM, it is good for parents to strongly encourage the interest, as STEM careers and people may be some of the most compatible with autistic traits and brain.

This.

Barchan
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2015, 11:43 pm

btbnnyr wrote:
if any autistic child has interest in STEM, it is good for parents to strongly encourage the interest

Okay, and what if they don't?

Are you going to keep trying to fit a round peg in a square hole?

1401b
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2015, 11:44 pm

Geez, I'm starting to hate this site.

Barchan what's your solution? And please don't say, "everybody needs to [idealistic thought]."

Barchan
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2015, 2:49 pm

1401b wrote:
what's your solution? And please don't say, "everybody needs to [idealistic thought]."

First of all, you can lose the attitude. I'll say whatever needs to be said.

Expanding college autism programs is one obvious solution. Autism programs are often understaffed, with only a handful of tutors trained in various math/science disciplines. An autist should be able to major in anything an NT can major in, and still receive adequate opportunities for tutoring and advice. If you disagree with this, then you agree with discriminatory policies and I don't know what else to say to you.

Another goal we should work toward is greater representation for autistic people with non-STEM careers. We need more autistic artists, musicians, and athletes in the spotlight. I don't think this is unreasonable.

glebel
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2015, 11:31 am

Barchan wrote:
glebel wrote:
Our options are inherently limited.

They're not, though. You can have any career you want; having a disability just means you'll have to work harder, it doesn't mean it's impossible.

There's nothing stopping you from pursuing any career in the world. Your only limitation is your own attitude. Knock it off with this defeatist bull***t.

Whereas I agree with you that we have to work harder, I don't see myself either working retail or even working indoors ( slightly claustrophobic ).