Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

glebel
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2015, 12:01 pm

What is your favorite dish to cook? Mine I call Frittata ala Topaz ( after my dog who has raided the counter 4 times to eat the filling). First you brown 1/2 Lb of bacon in a fry pan over medium/high heat, drain off most of the grease, and then add 1 medium onion, diced. Cook until the onion is translucent, and then add 1/2 Lb of sliced mushrooms. When the mushrooms are nicely sweated, sprinkle 1/4 cup of chopped parsley over the top and then pour a mixture consisting of 6 beaten eggs and 1/4 cup shaved parmesan cheese on top of that. If your fry pan is oven-safe, you can pop it into a 350 degree oven until the egg firms up, or you can cook the frittata until the eggs are mostly congealed and then place another fry pan of equal or greater size over the top of the frittata and carefully flip. This can get messy. Resume cooking for another 5 minutes or so, and serve.Serve with a salad and some bruschetta. Serves about 4.

ghostie
Butterfly
Butterfly

08 Aug 2015, 10:19 pm

i love to make fresh fish, like flounder or salmon. :)

glebel
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2015, 10:30 am

ghostie wrote:
i love to make fresh fish, like flounder or salmon. :)

Hey, what do you know? I thought that I was the only person on this site who cooks. Given that I have compulsive tendencies, I found I make a good saucier. I also really like fish, though I pretty much stick to white fleshed ocean fish unless I can get some ahi-ahi.

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2015, 11:20 am

I'm no longer motivated to cook anything even slightly complicated. I only do simple things. I don't like heating oil as most oils turn unhealthy when heated and I simply hate oil splashes making a mess in the kitchen.

I still do eat healthily though. I've been using quinoa a lot recently. It's easy to cook quinoa. I mix it with uncooked vegetables to make a quinoa salad. You could use any vegetables, depending on what you like. I've recently been using coriander leaves, chillies, onion, lime juice, a red capsicum and fish sauce. Makes an absolutely delicious salad. Alternatively, I mix cooked quinoa with parsley, rocket, tomato dice, lemon juice, chillies, spring onion etc.

glebel
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2015, 11:27 am

I'll definitely have to try that. I've never had quinoa, and I don't know if I can get it in the little market in my village, but I bet it would good with brown rice too. I haven't heard about heating oil making it unhealthy. Does this apply to olive oil?

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2015, 11:23 pm

Yes, quinoa may not be available everywhere. It's only recently that it's become popular in developed nations. And it's not cheap, either. I love brown rice, too. Never tried it in a salad but that might be a good idea.

Recently I have seen several websites that say that most oils are not good for high-temperature cooking. Those oils high in unsaturated fats can break easily when heated. Olive oil (mostly mono-unsaturated) is no exception. However, coconut oil can be used for high-temperature cooking as it has lots of saturated fats.

Drawyer
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2015, 12:44 am

I'm thinking I should not share my recipes for users' sake.

glebel
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2015, 9:55 am

jk1 wrote:
Yes, quinoa may not be available everywhere. It's only recently that it's become popular in developed nations. And it's not cheap, either. I love brown rice, too. Never tried it in a salad but that might be a good idea.

Recently I have seen several websites that say that most oils are not good for high-temperature cooking. Those oils high in unsaturated fats can break easily when heated. Olive oil (mostly mono-unsaturated) is no exception. However, coconut oil can be used for high-temperature cooking as it has lots of saturated fats.

I have heard about coconut oil, but my problem is that the nearest city to me is 50 miles away and I hate to come out of the mountains. I also understand that it is flavored, so I would be afraid to use it in a lot of my dishes, though it would work in some.By the way, brown rice is good in salads if you make sure not to over cook it ( I like mine slightly undercooked so that it is toothsome ).

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

10 Aug 2015, 12:30 pm

I'm predominantly vegetarian and very fond of Italian style dishes. I love my macrroni and cheese recipe which I once found in a newspaper and use it a lot. I also love making a white sauce or cheese sauce to go with some nice vegetables such as cauliflower or broccoli. I love brinjals (aubergines / eggplant), baby marrows (zucchinis / courgettes), avos, potatoes, chickpeas, olives, dates, pancakes, and dishes made with fresh herbs.

I like to keep things simple but tasty and don't bother with recipes needing a page of ingredients and hours of preparation.

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/

glebel
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2015, 2:18 pm

I like to make macaroni and cheese myself, though unlike most recipes I use white( English-style ) Cheddar so I don't make it very often.

MathGirl
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2015, 2:22 pm

Any quinoa and bean/lentil dish. I love rice, as well, but higher-protein dishes are more satisfying, hence why I prefer quinoa. And there's something neat about legumes. They're my favourite food :D

Likely ADHD instead of what I've been diagnosed with before.

cooksp53
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

10 Aug 2015, 2:44 pm

Red beans and rice with chicken, shrimp, and sausage. Love crock pot cooking makes me feel like a mad scientist.

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2015, 7:24 pm

Anything with this tomato base sauce:

Using some coconut oil :wink: fry streaky rashers til crisp( 4-5), remove, cut them up.
Fry chopped brown onions(1lrg) until they sweat.
Lower temperature slightly, add chopped mushrooms (half punnet) and chopped smoked garlic (2 cloves/wedge) allow mushrooms to soften, add 1 finely chopped sweet pepper and one grated carrot.

Next add a punnet of roughly chopped piccolo tomatoes and some chicken stock. Simmer.
Add the chopped rashers, 1-2 tablespoons of tomato pesto.
Season to taste, sea salt, freshly ground black pepper, smoked paprika, fresh chopped basil.

Pour over pasta, add prawns (substitute vegetable stock), chicken, beef (substitute beef stock), minced beef for lasagna, bolognese , add cream to soften the taste, add grated cheese, swap basil for parsley in a chicken and smoked chorizo paella dish, use as stock in home made soups... anything that you could use tomato puree in.

AsahiPto17
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Aug 2015, 4:39 am

I like cooking, sometimes it can be a little annoying, but other times I think it can be fun. I'm vegetarian/vegan so I don't cook meat. I like cooking Asian style things a lot, like stirfrys with Asian veggies, or soups. I like making stirfrys with emphasis on eggplant and miso sauce especially, unfortunately I haven't done that in quite some time.

glebel
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2015, 10:13 am

Amity wrote:
Anything with this tomato base sauce:

Using some coconut oil :wink: fry streaky rashers til crisp( 4-5), remove, cut them up.
Fry chopped brown onions(1lrg) until they sweat.
Lower temperature slightly, add chopped mushrooms (half punnet) and chopped smoked garlic (2 cloves/wedge) allow mushrooms to soften, add 1 finely chopped sweet pepper and one grated carrot.

Next add a punnet of roughly chopped piccolo tomatoes and some chicken stock. Simmer.
Add the chopped rashers, 1-2 tablespoons of tomato pesto.
Season to taste, sea salt, freshly ground black pepper, smoked paprika, fresh chopped basil.

Pour over pasta, add prawns (substitute vegetable stock), chicken, beef (substitute beef stock), minced beef for lasagna, bolognese , add cream to soften the taste, add grated cheese, swap basil for parsley in a chicken and smoked chorizo paella dish, use as stock in home made soups... anything that you could use tomato puree in.

I'll have to try this sometime. My basic tomato sauce is more of a traditional Sicilian Basil/Garlic type, which I can add other things to to make whatever I am cooking. This can be made in large batches and canned, so if you come across a good deal on bulk tomatoes, you can save a lot of money and eat healthy too.

Britte
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2015, 3:47 pm

I like to cook, and I LOVE to bake. This is a great topic, by the way!
One of my favorite dishes I've recently made, is 'Mexican Chicken Soup', with shredded chicken and Serrano chili peppers. I cut corn tortilla into thin strips and bake them in the oven, then throw them on top, with a little shredded jack cheese and some sprigs of cilantro. I can post the recipe, shortly, if interested, although, might be self explanatory for someone who is familiar with making soups and the like. It is super simple and so good.