Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Britte
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2015, 3:47 pm

I like to cook, and I LOVE to bake. This is a great topic, by the way!
One of my favorite dishes I've recently made, is 'Mexican Chicken Soup', with shredded chicken and Serrano chili peppers. I cut corn tortilla into thin strips and bake them in the oven, then throw them on top, with a little shredded jack cheese and some sprigs of cilantro. I can post the recipe, shortly, if interested, although, might be self explanatory for someone who is familiar with making soups and the like. It is super simple and so good.

Britte
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2015, 4:18 pm

cooksp53 wrote:
Red beans and rice with chicken, shrimp, and sausage. Love crock pot cooking makes me feel like a mad scientist.

This makes me think of a Paella that my friend's father used to make, when we were kids. I still envision it, however, he made it in a pan. My sister has started cooking beautiful dishes in a crock pot. I like how creative you can get, while keeping things super simple.

glebel
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2015, 4:25 pm

Britte wrote:
One of my favorite dishes I've recently made, is 'Mexican Chicken Soup', with shredded chicken and Serrano chili peppers. I cut corn tortilla into thin strips and bake them in the oven, then throw them on top, with a little shredded jack cheese and some sprigs of cilantro. I can post the recipe, shortly, if interested, although, might be self explanatory for someone who is familiar with making soups and the like. It is super simple and so good.

I love to make soup in the winter time ( it gets quite cold where I live ) and would love to have your recipe. Sounds like a Chicken Tortilla Soup, which I like a lot but haven't found a good recipe for.

Moonshine
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Aug 2015, 7:32 pm

Thick aubergines with melted mozzarella balls and watercress soup.

Britte
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2015, 10:48 pm

glebel wrote:
Britte wrote:

I love to make soup in the winter time ( it gets quite cold where I live ) and would love to have your recipe. Sounds like a Chicken Tortilla Soup, which I like a lot but haven't found a good recipe for.

Great! Yes, it is very much like Chicken Tortilla Soup, but the stock is different, as I don't use tomatoes or chili powder and other ingredients typically used. I would compare it to your typical Jewish chicken stock, but, with a Mexican twist, due to the affects of the cumin and chili peppers, et al.

Ingredients I Use (organic is best (not mandatory, however), for multiple reasons)
Chicken Breast (no skin)
Celeriac Root or common Celery (just the bottom (white) part) (for flavor, only. will be removed prior to serving)
Leek
Chili Peppers (of your preference, depending on how much heat you like. I use Serranos)
Ground Cumin
1 to 2 dried Bay Leaves (not mandatory)
Fresh Cilantro
Jack Cheese
Corn Tortillas
Lime (to taste)
Salt (very little/ a pinch or two (per 4 to 6 servings), not mandatory
Water

Instructions
Coat bottom of pot with very small amount of olive oil and heat slightly.
Add chicken and let cook for approx a minute or two, at most
Add 1 quart of cold water
Add sliced sliced leek, 1/2 teaspoon of cumin (or, to taste) and just one half of one chili pepper (do not cut-up)
Add the bottom/white root part of the celeriac/celery (whole, do NOT cut, as it is only to flavor the stock)
Cover with 2 to 3 additional quarts of cold water and a pinch (or two) of salt
Bring to a boil on high heat and reduce to a low simmer
Simmer on low heat, for about 4 hours (so the stock fully absorbs the flavors of all ingredients and chicken shreds, easily)
Cut tortillas in half, then cut the haves into thin strips
Bake tortilla strips at 200/250 degrees (or equivalent, depending on where you are) for approx 6-8 minutes
Grate the cheese and set aside
Remove the celery (after 4 hours of simmering)
Remove all leek bits
Slice and add the following: fresh pieces of leek, chili peppers & cilantro to the cooked stock
Simmer on low, for additional 5 minutes (do not over-cook leeks and cilantro. They should stay bright in color)
Remove from heat
Squeeze a bit of lime, into the soup (not too much)
The chicken should be tender enough to shred easily, with a fork or spoon
Spoon the soup into bowls
Sprinkle grated cheese
Place tortilla strips in center (do not stir them in)
Place sprigs of cilantro atop the tortilla strips
-Serve

(I've also done a 30 minute version, using a microwave oven, if you'd like me to share it, as well)

Enjoy!!

glebel
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2015, 10:21 am

Thanks for the recipe! I think that this will be a good one. I eat a lot of soup in the winter, so the more recipes I have, the merrier.

KateSkipper
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

13 Aug 2015, 10:23 am

I like to make homemade soup.

Britte
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2015, 3:51 pm

You are most welcome, glebel! Enjoy!

What types of soups do you like to make, KateSkipper?