Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

unknownfactor
Raven
Raven

04 Aug 2015, 1:23 pm

Magic isn't working out as a "getting social again" tool. I was too shy and awkward at the Magic the Gathering meetups at the comic shop down the street. That comic shop is closed. The next best option is a converted storage closet at the back of a toy shop. Due to the space, it's basically set up for tournament players only with casuals like me getting a round in only between tourney rounds "if another person is willing". Wife doesn't want to play that game. Friend who does play lives too far away for regular rounds. And it turns out Duels of the Planewalkers' "hard mode" seems to translate to "noob who knows basic rules" at a typical Friday Night Magic anyways.

The good news is that there was a Python programming meetup that did happen recently. It was about an hour's drive and there may or may not be another one next month. But it was interesting while I was there and one of my 2 friends I have also showed up for it. Not bad. Several years after getting into Python on my own, I finally meet other Python programmers in the flesh!

Another meetup for Linux geeks happens pretty soon too. That also is in my zone. So opportunities to meet new people in places where I actually want to be there is precious and few. But it's nice when they do actually happen.

Lessons learned. Getting into Magic the Gathering social circles is hard if you don't have another human willing to play with you on a regular basis. Python and Linux gatherings are less common but are a lot more fun if you can find them.

MU
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

04 Aug 2015, 3:08 pm

I agree that collectable card games are only half fun if you just collect them. I was once a kid that also got hit amongst the invasion of the early Pokemon and Yu-gi-oh cards. In a year I was just handing them over to an even younger. even more excited about it child seeing that I never actually played the game. I was only in one tournament at the mall for Yu-gi-oh and came in second to last in about fifty kids who's parents all got them Exodia pieces (which win you the game instantly) on eBay or something.

As for Magic the Gathering, I'm sorry I haven't actually played it except for a friends borrowed deck against him. I still have a great amount of respect for it since a lot of my favorite artists have drawn or painted for it at one point. I myself want to do that to, which is ironic given that I tried to buy some long ago only to get them thrown in the trash by my family saying, "you will not have a game with demons holding evil swords in it in our house."

I know what you're saying here. If I had card game collections, I'd want to win and have friends with it as well. That's really not easy these days. If your Python and Linux meetings work much better, well then, do that, and always try to be open to more.