I wish people would stop believing the media.

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2015, 8:58 pm

I was just reading about five things aspies/autistic people want NT's to understand and the one I liked the most was the second one "Don't believe the media".

The news people know little, if anything, about the stuff they're reporting, they're just reading it to us on the air.
And yet viewers believe them as if everything they said wasn't something they just "learned" as little as a few minutes ago. These people are not experts on autism. At all. People need to be told not to listen to any of the BS these glorified media sensationalists say on TV. We're not cold, unemotional killers and we do have empathy, we're not the result of being vaccinated and we're not going to shoot up yet another school.
End of story.

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2015, 9:21 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
I was just reading about five things aspies/autistic people want NT's to understand and the one I liked the most was the second one "Don't believe the media".

The news people know little, if anything, about the stuff they're reporting, they're just reading it to us on the air.
And yet viewers believe them as if everything they said wasn't something they just "learned" as little as a few minutes ago. These people are not experts on autism. At all. People need to be told not to listen to any of the BS these glorified media sensationalists say on TV. We're not cold, unemotional killers and we do have empathy, we're not the result of being vaccinated and we're not going to shoot up yet another school.
End of story.

Unless said telejournalist has had first hand experience with autism. The only two I can think of at the moment is Keith Olberman (on the spectrum, even though he's a jackass, IMNSHO), and Sally Thorner (anchor/reporter on 3 of Baltimore's stations, at one time or another. She has a child on the spectrum)

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2015, 11:43 pm

Autism and AS are in the news when either 1. someone with it is killed or 2. someone with it kills somebody else. That is because there really isn't a lot else about autism that is newsworthy. You can't very well expect them to report "Tonight, three million (or however many there are) autistic individuals did not hurt anyone else". You never see things about lots of things unless something bad happens or there is a new drug or some controversy.

Bad stuff is usually news more often than good stuff. Thats just how it is. That gets viewers and readers.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com