The Legend of Zelda: Triforce heroes

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2015, 4:19 am

I was not too interested in it when I heard of the 3DS game, Triforce Heroes, at E3. It did not seem like a traditional Zelda game, it seemed to be largely multiplayer and I knew that I would not know anyone to play it with. But after a bit of time I have kind of warmed up to it, online would probably be pretty good, actually there is something that has got me rather into it. The reason is the bellow official artwork.
That is Nintendo has released official artwork of Link proudly wearing Zelda's dress, and for some reason it kind of gets me into it. Apparently there are calls from some to have a female playable character, although I think Link's non-masculine characteristics make him accessible to both genders, and this dress-up thing is kind of cool for that. I am not a crossdresser or anything, alone I find the idea of Link crossdressing actually quite funny, especially the pride he is clearly showing while another is kind of admiring him.

It might just be marketing or something, but it feels like it is breaking down gender expectations, and it kind of makes me happy.

FullMetalAspie
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

06 Aug 2015, 4:21 pm

haven't seen that picture yet. Link looks surprisingly good in a dress.
This game might be interesting if they add a bunch of costumes that actually do something significantly different from each other. I don't have anyone to play with locally but online play might be fun if its works well.
Also I think their should be a female playable link in spinoff games like this and Hyrule warriors
(maybe even a main series game). but then again most people seeing link for the first time already think he is a chick so they would have to figure out how differentiate male and female link.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2015, 8:33 pm

FullMetalAspie wrote:
Also I think their should be a female playable link in spinoff games like this and Hyrule warriors
(maybe even a main series game). but then again most people seeing link for the first time already think he is a chick so they would have to figure out how differentiate male and female link.

I am actually looking forward to the rumoured female Link that may be put in Hyrule warriors along with the 3DS edition.
Apparently a crossbow not attached to any other character was spotted in the trailer.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2015, 1:04 am

I'm always excited for a new Zelda game B)

Regarding having a playable female character, wasn't there a cancelled game that was going to feature Tetra?

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2015, 2:37 am

I'm pretty excited for Triforce Heroes myself, though I wish there was an option to play with just one other player, while the CPU controls the third player. It's a bizarre omission on Nintendo's part, but then again, these are the same people who claimed that the 3DS couldn't handle the Ice Climbers on Smash 4...

As for Zelda's dress being a usable costume, I think it's pretty funny that Nintendo included that, because Link IS pretty feminine looking for a male character, though I never would have thought that Nintendo would allude to that. :P Of course, I think they purposefully give him an androgynous appearance so that he connects with a broader range of players, both male and female. It's been said that Link isn't so much a character, as an avatar of the player themselves.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2015, 7:52 am

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
It's been said that Link isn't so much a character, as an avatar of the player themselves.

That actually reminds me, I'm pretty sure in one or both of the BSX Zelda games, you could be male or female, since you were the Satellaview avatar instead of Link.

I know you could in the Zelda 1 remake, but I'm not so sure about Ancient Stone Tablets...I think they just put a baseball cap on Link?

xenocity
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2015, 3:32 pm

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
I'm pretty excited for Triforce Heroes myself, though I wish there was an option to play with just one other player, while the CPU controls the third player. It's a bizarre omission on Nintendo's part, but then again, these are the same people who claimed that the 3DS couldn't handle the Ice Climbers on Smash 4...

As for Zelda's dress being a usable costume, I think it's pretty funny that Nintendo included that, because Link IS pretty feminine looking for a male character, though I never would have thought that Nintendo would allude to that. :P Of course, I think they purposefully give him an androgynous appearance so that he connects with a broader range of players, both male and female. It's been said that Link isn't so much a character, as an avatar of the player themselves.

Four Swords on GBA was only playable if you had 3 other people to play with.
Four Swords Adventure on Gamecube allowed you to play 1-4 people, though to play multiplayer, each player needed to have a GBA to hook up to Gamecube.
Single player mode doesn't need a GBA (though you can use one).

Triforce Heroes is purposely designed to have three people playing in multiplayer, though you can either play online with others or play locally.
You can also play the game alone in single player.
It's just how the team designed the game.
Also each outfit gives you abilities.

As for Smash Bros 3DS, Sakurai couldn't get Ice Climbers to work on the original 3DS models without running into constant glitching and frame rate drops.
Smash Bros 3DS purposely disables all extra OS functions including Miiverse, app switching, accessing friends list and others while running on the original 3DS hardware, due to the game literally maxing out the hardware.

New 3DS hardware has more than enough power to run Smash Bros 3DS without disabling anything.
Sakurai is not going to split the base by creating Ice Climbers for New 3DS and Wii U owners.

As for Hyrule Warriors 3DS there is no female Link, but a female character related to Link.
This version of the game will allow you transfer all the new characters and content to the Wii U version.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2015, 12:47 am

xenocity wrote:
As for Hyrule Warriors 3DS there is no female Link, but a female character related to Link.
This version of the game will allow you transfer all the new characters and content to the Wii U version.

Apparently the description was "like a little sister", and the name going around is Linkle. I do wonder in Hyrule Warriors how she would have the hero's garb. I personally really want her because I really think being the hero not prevented by gender ideas of being a hero as pretty cool.

Well gender is not a huge problem as some would say still. There are some cool female characters in the series, as the cast of Hyrule Warriors makes. People say that there is a problem that Zelda is always getting kidnapped, saying she is useless, but she often is doing quite a bit that is not action orientated. Actually, she often is pretty good in things like being Sheik and Tetra, some games seem to state that she is often a bit of a tomboy, she was even the companion in Spirit Tracks, which I kind of feel the urge now to finish off.