Page 2 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2015, 1:00 am

Pepe wrote:
Barchan wrote:
I feel like this is a false dichotomy.

I don't think "emotion" and "logic" are necessarily opposed, or that they are mutually exclusive of eachother. I don't consider myself "more logical" or "less emotional" than my neurotypical peers.

I almost never make a decision based on "the heart" rather than "the head"...

A survey I came across recently indicated 86% of people based their decisions on emotion, rather than reason...
This I can believe, based on life experiences...

Here is a good example of what I was referring to:

I was recently thinking about buying a new car...
My "heart" said I needed a Jeep Wrangler...
(mmmm...military looking jeep)
My "head" said it was impractical, not the least reason being I have absolutely *no* intention of ever "bush bashing"...
(D'oh!)
And I would be buying it because it looked so purdy...

Ultimately reason bested impractical emotional considerations...

So now we have the explicit context which was implied in my initial comment... :wink:

PS...Bloody website...
Every time I edit lately, it transfers a lot of crap making it impossible to type until it finishes...
I think it might be the ads...

If the truth be known, I let my emotions rule my mind more than my brain. Oh, I'm wrong more often than I'm right in such cases, but still it happens.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2015, 1:34 am

Kraichgauer wrote:

If the truth be known, I let my emotions rule my mind more than my brain. Oh, I'm wrong more often than I'm right in such cases, but still it happens.

How do you explain this?
I understand we are all unique individuals with variations...

Are you saying you can't identify with a more logical approach to life in general?
Do you agree that autistic individuals tend to lean more towards a more logical approach to life?
Do you consider yourself atypical to those on the spectrum?

So there is no misunderstanding, let me point out that I have a typical aspie low frustration threshold, meaning I often struggle with my problematical emotion processing system...
I am *not* saying we lack an emotional component...
Far from it...

I am saying that without real time pressures forcing us to make poor choices...
In a stress free environment such as in this forum...
We would lean towards a more intellectual and considered approach rather than one which is predominantly dependent on emotional considerations...

For me personally, I gain greater satisfaction from an intellectual pursuit than focusing on emotional satiation...
And quite frankly, I find the inordinate attention dedicated to emotional satisfaction by many, if not most, quite mysterious and confusing...

To me personally, I feel/find that comfort (but particularly the absence of discomfort) is as meaningful as euphoria...
I have yet to fully investigate the philosophical implications/ramifications of this seemingly atypical approach to life...
All I can say is: Go figure... ;)

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2015, 1:41 am

Pepe wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

How do you explain this?

Are you saying you can't identify with a more logical approach to life in general?
Do you agree that autistic individuals tend to lean more towards a more logical approach to life?

So there is no misunderstanding, let me point out that I have a typical aspie low frustration threshold, meaning I often struggle with my problematical emotion processing system...
Far from it...

We would lean towards a more intellectual and considered approach rather than one which is predominantly dependent on emotional considerations...

For me personally, I gain greater satisfaction from an intellectual pursuit than focusing on emotional satiation...
And quite frankly, I find the inordinate attention dedicated to emotional satisfaction by many, if not most, quite mysterious and confusing...

To me personally, I feel/find that comfort (but particularly the absence of discomfort) is as meaningful as euphoria...
I have yet to fully investigate the philosophical implications/ramifications of this seemingly atypical approach to life...

I'm saying that Aspies are each unique individuals. Granted, I get further using my brain than my heart, but that doesn't mean I don't depend more on my emotions than I should.
Trust me, I am officially diagnosed, so I can say without hesitation that I am an Aspie who lacks common sense, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2015, 2:14 am

Kraichgauer wrote:

I'm saying that Aspies are each unique individuals. Granted, I get further using my brain than my heart, but that doesn't mean I don't depend more on my emotions than I should.
Trust me, I am officially diagnosed, so I can say without hesitation that I am an Aspie who lacks common sense, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Not sure why you ignored my questions...

However, we both agree that every individual is an individual <sic>... ;)

I have the impression that you are ignoring the simple fact that in order to be diagnosed as being on the autistic spectrum, you need to satisfy certain characteristics identified as autistic characteristics...
One of the autistic characteristics that I believe is generally accepted as fairly typical is our penchant towards a more logical approach in dealing with life...
Are you saying you disagree with my position?
Quote:
I am an Aspie who lacks common sense

Are you saying you are an a-typical aspie?

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2015, 2:47 am

Pepe wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Not sure why you ignored my questions...

However, we both agree that every individual is an individual <sic>... ;)

I have the impression that you are ignoring the simple fact that in order to be diagnosed as being on the autistic spectrum, you need to satisfy certain characteristics identified as autistic characteristics...
One of the autistic characteristics that I believe is generally accepted as fairly typical is our penchant towards a more logical approach in dealing with life...
Are you saying you disagree with my position?
Quote:
I am an Aspie who lacks common sense

Are you saying you are an a-typical aspie?

I thought I answered your question.
As for autistic individuals being more logical - - my daughter has PDD-NOS, a form of autism, and she is almost entirely emotional, with little use of logic. It isn't atypical for autistics to be emotional; rather, it's a matter of autistics being unable to tell how to react properly with the appropriate emotions. Hence, many of us come across as unemotional, like a Vulcan. But even Vulcans have emotions, they just keep them suppressed.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2015, 3:00 am

Pepe wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

How do you explain this?

Far from it...

I do not think people with autism are more logical and less emotional than people in general...are meltdowns logical? Is it logical to put needs aside because you get caught up in your special interest and maybe neglect to eat, shower or do other things because of being side-tracked by your special interest. IDK I see plenty of emotion expressed on these boards as well....I think most people when making decisions reach the decision based on both logic and emotion in a lot of cases.

I think we do have a capacity to collect a lot of information on a given topic...and retain it to recite to people, so to some it might give the illusion we are generally more 'logical' because talking about factual/intellectual topics is associated with 'logic' by a lot of people...but I don't think it actually means we are more logical in general.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2015, 3:04 am

Pepe wrote:
I believe is generally accepted as fairly typical is our penchant towards a more logical approach in dealing with life...

Even if it were, having a more logical approach in dealing with life is actually not part of the diagnostic criteria whatsoever. Maybe its a 'stereotype' people have come to accept, but that's it.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2015, 6:01 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:

Rather than my hunting down where you answered my question, could you cut and paste where you previously answered my query?

Quote:
As for autistic individuals being more logical - - my daughter has PDD-NOS, a form of autism, and she is almost entirely emotional, with little use of logic.

What age is your daughter?
The human brain isn't (usually) capable of cohesive logical thinking until it has developed to a certain level, usually around age 15 (which not so coincidentally coincides with adolescents).
And simply having the facility for logical thinking doesn't mean that particular psychological "tool" has been honed...
Young people will say they know everything already, but I know my reasoning ability has improved with age...

N.B. My context in this discussion is predominantly involving individuals beyond adolescence...

My assumption is that your daughter is also an individual <sic> ;)...
The reason we have an autistic *spectrum* is *specifically* due to our individuality...
Perhaps you and your daughter are on the fringes of the "bell curve" of autistic characteristics, as am I...

Quote:
It isn't atypical for autistics to be emotional; rather, it's a matter of autistics being unable to tell how to react properly with the appropriate emotions.

This is a misrepresentation of what I had said, and I have already clarified that I am not suggesting autistic individuals aren't emotional.
Please refer to my previous statement in a previous post:
Pepe wrote:
Far from it...

And then I did qualify my statement further here:
Pepe wrote:

Part of the problem with autistic individuals becoming overly emotional is due to having no choice but to survive on "The Wrong Planet"... :wink:

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2015, 6:49 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Pepe wrote:
I believe is generally accepted as fairly typical is our penchant towards a more logical approach in dealing with life...

Even if it were, having a more logical approach in dealing with life is actually not part of the diagnostic criteria whatsoever. Maybe its a 'stereotype' people have come to accept, but that's it.

You have missed my point...
My point is that those on the autistic spectrum tend to have identified associated autistic characteristic clusters.

You have combine two individual concepts of mine:

Firstly, in order to be diagnosed as being on the autistic spectrum, a number of parameters need to be satisfied...
Do you consider this stereotyping also?

Secondly, those on the autistic spectrum tend to have significant associated characteristics which are differential from their neurotypical cousins...
You are not suggesting we tend to act the same or tend to have the same outlook as NTs, do you?

Edit: Yes I do see how one of my ideas ran into the other causing confusion...
I am only human and am still in the process of learning to extend my philosophical network... :wink:

Do I look like a fool to you?
Don't answer that... :wink:
I don't adopt a stereotype (period) simply because I read it on the internet.
I use my life experience and my desire to be objective and honest to filter the truth from the non-truth.

People confuse seeing patterns of behaviour with the classic generalisations/stereotypes...
There is a difference...
And if you have followed my posts, you will see I constantly use the term "tendency" to acknowledge individuality...

I embrace this adage:
"The truth is the truth no matter where it may take us..."
As would any good social scientist...

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2015, 8:27 pm

Pepe wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Rather than my hunting down where you answered my question, could you cut and paste where you previously answered my query?

Quote:
As for autistic individuals being more logical - - my daughter has PDD-NOS, a form of autism, and she is almost entirely emotional, with little use of logic.

What age is your daughter?
The human brain isn't (usually) capable of cohesive logical thinking until it has developed to a certain level, usually around age 15 (which not so coincidentally coincides with adolescents).
And simply having the facility for logical thinking doesn't mean that particular psychological "tool" has been honed...
Young people will say they know everything already, but I know my reasoning ability has improved with age...

N.B. My context in this discussion is predominantly involving individuals beyond adolescence...

My assumption is that your daughter is also an individual <sic> ;)...
The reason we have an autistic *spectrum* is *specifically* due to our individuality...
Perhaps you and your daughter are on the fringes of the "bell curve" of autistic characteristics, as am I...

Quote:
It isn't atypical for autistics to be emotional; rather, it's a matter of autistics being unable to tell how to react properly with the appropriate emotions.

This is a misrepresentation of what I had said, and I have already clarified that I am not suggesting autistic individuals aren't emotional.
Please refer to my previous statement in a previous post:
Pepe wrote:
Far from it...

And then I did qualify my statement further here:
Pepe wrote:

Part of the problem with autistic individuals becoming overly emotional is due to having no choice but to survive on "The Wrong Planet"... :wink:

My daughter is ten.
And if I appeared to misrepresent you, my apologies. I was simply making a related point.