Unsure 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
Might not turn out well... 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
It won't turn out good at all. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 13

epiccolton26
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Aug 2015, 11:07 pm

After seeing the Nintendo Treehouse videos and trailer of it on YouTube, I can safely say I am looking forward to this game. There's just so many things that make it awesome in my opinion 8O :

Level Themes? Woot! :)
Various Game themes with different mechanics? Woot! :)
Large amounts of Customization like with Scribblenauts Unlimited? Super Woot! :D
The ability to make your own custom 8 worlds? MEGA WOOT! :mrgreen:

I'm sorry if I sound really excited, but all these features make Mario Maker sound like a promising game. I hope I'm not disappointed.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2015, 2:04 am

I'm waiting for this one too. Impatiently. It has a very similar draw to me as LittleBigPlanet always has.

And just soooooooooooo many features and such, while retaining everything that each individual game has. And it's sorta breathing life into these old classics and making them new again. I can particularly appreciate that for the very first Super Mario game on the NES, that one being my favorite.

Also, Mario with a Buzzy Beetle helmet is hilarious.

Like LBP though, there's likely to be a high number of amazingly terrible levels. There might be less with this game though than with LBP, since the Wii U doesnt have stupid trophies or achievements. Many of the dumb levels in LBP are created for super fast grabbing of achievements. Though, Mario levels also bring with them the idea of everyone trying to replicate stupid Kaizo. I'm sooooooooooooo glad that the creator of each level is required to fully beat it themselves before putting it up. That at least might reduce the number of those. Might be a few too many gimmicky levels too. But we'll see.

Really though, the only other game I'd been this excited for in a pretty long time was Splatoon; there hasnt really been anything else to grab my interest nearly as much. Well, there's the upcoming expansion for Isaac, but that's an expansion, not a full game release.

From everything I've seen of the game (there's LOTS of videos of it right now; look for the Nintendo Treehouse vids of it, I think is what they're called, if you want to see some really good footage of it), you're not going to be disappointed at all.

One thing I am tired of though: People whining about the price. They think it should be $10. *sigh* For a game that you can get bazillions of hours of content out of, and which even allows the creation of levels in the New Super Mario Bros engine (AKA, fully advanced 3D graphics and everything! This sort of thing is NOT cheap to produce, even if reused!), but they'll more than happily accept yet another damn cloned FPS that gives like 7 hours of gameplay with hardly any replay value. They see pixels in the older games, and a lack of completely pointless emo cutscenes, and suddenly, hey, it's just a silly CASUAL game. Really, I think ALOT of gamers have the casual/hardcore thing outright backwards. But they'll base everything on that anyway, in too many cases.

I really hate this industry sometimes. And Mario Maker is just going to make me miss the old days even more.

Currently, I am playing through alot of the older games in anticipation, including the ones that have nothing to do with this specific game. Currently, the Gameboy ones. I am including the Wario Land games, because Wario Land. And nobody can stop me. Hah!

Redstar2613
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Aug 2015, 1:19 pm

Oh hell yeah! I'm super excited for this game. This is a childhood dream come true! :D

xenocity
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2015, 3:35 pm

I played the demo at the Best Buy Nintendo E3 event.
I played a level, where the special ? mushroom turned me into Link.
I played another level that required me to use a stilleto to get Mario to the end.

The game has tons of modern effects in it that NES cannot render in 8-bit, same goes for SMW style too.

AdamAutistic
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2015, 5:28 pm

i am very excited to see all the crazy stuff people will think up.

one of the newer videos shows that not everything is available from the start and you need to play in the creator mode daily to unlock new features.

i actually really like this idea. whenever i play a game with a level maker, there are always so many elements to play with. it is just so overwhelming for me and i get nothing done.

Crazyshy42
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

15 Aug 2015, 6:05 pm

I'm so excited! I've been looking forward to this game for a long time because I can't wait to play fun, creative, and challenging new levels not to mention the Super Mario World skin! There's just so many great things about this game and I can't see myself getting bored with it any time soon like other 2D Marios where the levels never change. Also I'm gonna use level designer to create pixel art :3

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2015, 11:39 pm

AdamAutistic wrote:
i am very excited to see all the crazy stuff people will think up.

one of the newer videos shows that not everything is available from the start and you need to play in the creator mode daily to unlock new features.

i actually really like this idea. whenever i play a game with a level maker, there are always so many elements to play with. it is just so overwhelming for me and i get nothing done.

That one will annoy some players, no doubt about it.

Though at the same time, it's an idea that's been done before, and it's usually turned out well. Hell, Nintendo has been doing it with Splatoon, where they've been opening the game slowly, much of the content having been locked at launch, more and more opening up as time goes on and the community learns more about each bit.

LittleBigPlanet rather does this too, and it's a very similar type of game as Mario Maker (except really, really dramatically more complicated), as it uses the story mode and such to show a variety of design ideas, and you have to play through the story mode (and actually explore and experiment) to unlock materials and things to use in the editor. Among a variety of other things that it does in an attempt to ease players into the design process. Though, THAT game will never be as easy to learn fully as THIS one will. I'm not even going to try to explain why.

Either way, the more I see of this game, the more I must have it. There's alot of entertaining and hilarious videos of this floating around now; the Nintendo Treehouse ones (or whatever that's called, I forget) are the most informative, but there's been alot of hands-on vids from all sorts of people in the last couple of months. Worth looking up on Youtube for anyone that's interested in this game, even if you already know alot about it, they're still often hilarious.

AdamAutistic
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2015, 7:18 am

yes, i know all about little big planet. i had a playstation phase (that didn't last too long. i find all their games really boring.)

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2015, 8:52 am

AdamAutistic wrote:
yes, i know all about little big planet. i had a playstation phase (that didn't last too long. i find all their games really boring.)

Yeah, I have pretty much the same view of both the Playstation and Xbox brands. FPS, FPS, FPS.... pretty much the entire damn consoles, for both, seem to be that, and.... ugh. Or JRPGs, which are almost as bad. If I want INTERESTING stuff, I gotta go to PC (which is where most of my gaming is done) or Nintendo.

Though I do have a PS4, which is actually almost entirely for LittleBigPlanet 3, which is fantastic. I cant get bored of THAT. Aint expecting to get bored of Mario Maker either.

But yeah, both PS3 and PS4 kinda.... have very limited appeal, at least I think so. Heck, I often lose track of the PS3 for long periods of time; I mostly only still have it because of a couple of imported games that I wouldnt be able to play otherwise. Same with my 360, which itself is an import. Not buying an XBone, bloody pointless.

As Mario Maker goes, it has inspired me to start playing through alot of the older games. The first 2 Mario Lands on the original Game Boy I did recently, and currently for no apparent reason Super Mario 2 (not the "lost levels" one) is next. I never did beat that one as a kid. I'm still bad at it for whatever reason, ugh. I know that specific game has nothing to do with Mario Maker, but dammit, I'm going to finish it.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2015, 11:53 am

Just.... WTF....

There's some rather alarming sounds that go along with.... whatever the hell that is, too. And it just looks more disturbing in motion.

And no, I dont know what it is entirely. Watching a video of this guy do the 100 Marios mode, he goes through a few levels, starts the one that this happens in, and.... it happens, and he takes a couple hits and dies afterwards. Level restarts, he hits the same block, aaaaand.... normal mushroom.

Some sort of Easter egg perhaps? Pulled straight out of some sort of deep nightmare void?

Andrejake
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2015, 12:03 pm

Misery wrote:

Just.... WTF....

There's some rather alarming sounds that go along with.... whatever the hell that is, too. And it just looks more disturbing in motion.

And no, I dont know what it is entirely. Watching a video of this guy do the 100 Marios mode, he goes through a few levels, starts the one that this happens in, and.... it happens, and he takes a couple hits and dies afterwards. Level restarts, he hits the same block, aaaaand.... normal mushroom.

Some sort of Easter egg perhaps? Pulled straight out of some sort of deep nightmare void?

I saw that! It's scary huh? lol
People are calling it Skinny Mario and apparently it gives you Luigi powers (like jumping higher)

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2015, 1:21 pm

Next weird thing!

....I have no idea as to what is even happening there. The guy jumped on a Koopa, and.... that happened. I've seen it in other videos too; this one seems like something the player can actually set up themselves? There was one level that had this pair of Wigglers that the player needed to bounce on to get past, and each bounce produced that particular effect.

Seems to be quite a number of funky effects like this. Can see a bunch of them in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfqOMhZ3xVU

With that specific one happening just after the 16:00 minute mark, though the entire level that happens in has a number of funky elements.

Though, the crowning moment isnt that... it's the very end of the video. I'm not going to spoil that one here. But it had me laughing so very hard... I'm guessing this specific thing is like the Skinny Mushroom, in that it's just RNG-determined and pretty rare, but regardless, it was absolutely hilarious.

AlanSmithee
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Aug 2015, 10:12 am

Imagine a level of nothing but Hammer Bros., Lakitus, and Bowsers.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2015, 11:44 am

AlanSmithee wrote:
Imagine a level of nothing but Hammer Bros., Lakitus, and Bowsers.

It's been done. Naturally, some players will occaisionally just fart out a level without much actual design to it, that's just a blob of random stuff everywhere, which usually means spamming enemies of some sort.

I've also seen a small tower of Hammer Bros stacked on Bowser's head (you can stack enemies on top of each other, and they'll stay in that tower unless knocked around by a shell or something), with a couple of Bullet Bill cannons on top of the highest Hammer Bro. Which were set to fire Homing Bills (orange version of Bullet Bill, seeks you out!). Though they could have had the cannons fire, I dont know, Spinys or something. Needless to say, that particular version of Bowser was a tad dangerous.

Redstar2613
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Aug 2015, 11:11 am

I saw a video earlier tonight that said you'll only have a few items to start off with, have to play for 5 minutes to unlock more the next day. So for the first few days, we're forced to play with hardly anything. That's so boring! You'll hardly be able to do anything with what you get on the first day. This is just restricting everyone to a puny amount of content, seriously getting in the way of the fun and creativity this game is supposed to be about.
Things like the sound effect generator is a good unlockable, though.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2015, 11:33 am

Redstar2613 wrote:
I saw a video earlier tonight that said you'll only have a few items to start off with, have to play for 5 minutes to unlock more the next day. So for the first few days, we're forced to play with hardly anything. That's so boring! You'll hardly be able to do anything with what you get on the first day. This is just restricting everyone to a puny amount of content, seriously getting in the way of the fun and creativity this game is supposed to be about.
Things like the sound effect generator is a good unlockable, though.

You can break all the locks on stuff by forwarding the clock on the Wii U. It's already been tested by those with an advance copy of the game. Just do that, and you've got it all on the first day!

That being said, I think I understand why they did it that way. By restricting players to only a few tools at the start, the player is forced to get to know that very small set of tools, using them numerous times and learning about them; same each day onward, learning over time. I think the idea is that if you just have everyone start with everything, one of the first things alot of players will do is just jumble everything into one level. Deal it out to them slowly though, and they'll take their time on it (because they have to), and learn how using just a FEW elements in a level (instead of like 50 of them) generally makes for a much better level. LittleBigPlanet did this sort of thing.... when you start in that game, if you go into the editor, you have very, very little in there. Some extremely basic materials with no variations (in a game where a given material type may have like 100+ variations on it), no decorative objects, and overall, lots of things missing. This forces the player to go through the singleplayer mode, which, in alot of subtle ways, shows off how all sorts of different game elements work on their own and together, to make lots of stuff possible. The player learns as they go, wheras if you were to give it to them all in a big initial heap, well..... THAT game, can have levels that are WAY more of a disaster when the "squash everything in it" technique is used. It aint as bad in this one.