Might not turn out well... 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
It won't turn out good at all. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 13

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2015, 11:33 am

Redstar2613 wrote:
I saw a video earlier tonight that said you'll only have a few items to start off with, have to play for 5 minutes to unlock more the next day. So for the first few days, we're forced to play with hardly anything. That's so boring! You'll hardly be able to do anything with what you get on the first day. This is just restricting everyone to a puny amount of content, seriously getting in the way of the fun and creativity this game is supposed to be about.
Things like the sound effect generator is a good unlockable, though.

You can break all the locks on stuff by forwarding the clock on the Wii U. It's already been tested by those with an advance copy of the game. Just do that, and you've got it all on the first day!

That being said, I think I understand why they did it that way. By restricting players to only a few tools at the start, the player is forced to get to know that very small set of tools, using them numerous times and learning about them; same each day onward, learning over time. I think the idea is that if you just have everyone start with everything, one of the first things alot of players will do is just jumble everything into one level. Deal it out to them slowly though, and they'll take their time on it (because they have to), and learn how using just a FEW elements in a level (instead of like 50 of them) generally makes for a much better level. LittleBigPlanet did this sort of thing.... when you start in that game, if you go into the editor, you have very, very little in there. Some extremely basic materials with no variations (in a game where a given material type may have like 100+ variations on it), no decorative objects, and overall, lots of things missing. This forces the player to go through the singleplayer mode, which, in alot of subtle ways, shows off how all sorts of different game elements work on their own and together, to make lots of stuff possible. The player learns as they go, wheras if you were to give it to them all in a big initial heap, well..... THAT game, can have levels that are WAY more of a disaster when the "squash everything in it" technique is used. It aint as bad in this one.