Page 1 of 3 [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

MindBlind
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2015, 5:58 pm

So I recently bought two new bras at Bravissimo and they're so much more comfortable than any other bra I've ever worn before. I also discovered that I'm now a 34HH (well, in one brand - I'm a GG in the other bra) which to surreal, but I'm just glad my bra feels good.

Anyway, Bravissimo doesn't actually use measuring tapes for fittings and they tailor fittings differently to other places I've been to. The other places I've gone for bra fittings would just give me a bra that was "close enough" and I would just have to put up with the agony of my bra not sitting right. I'm certain that I will never shop anywhere else but Bravissimo for future bras because most places do bra fittings for large busts badly.

Which brings me to my next point ; I'm aware that finding the right bra is an issue regardless of the size of one's bust. Like, if you have relatively small boobs, is it sometimes harder to find cups that fit or feel comfy? Do bras not sit on some people properly because of how their body is shaped? Do you have tactile issues with bras? Basically, what bra angst do you ladies have?

Kiriae
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2015, 6:07 am

I have small bust size, just 75A or 70B so I could be going without bra if I were not afraid of my nipples showing up through clothes. Unfortunately they are sticking up so I can't do it with most t-shirts and I must find bras with double thick cups.

My bra troubles are not bra not fitting well(I am fine with both too small and too big bras as long as they are not pinching under bust and the cups don't stick out from my body too much) but the texture - they tend to have a lot of itching seams. I try to choose bras without any lace parts because they are the worst but even regular seams or the snaps can be overly itchy.

And of course the bra bones, they are a huge pet peeve for me. But I know an easy way to get rid of them (just make a small hole in the bra and take them out - it doesn't affect the bra fitting in my case) so it's not much of a deal.

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2015, 10:08 am

My pet peeve is overly long straps. It's hard enough finding a bra that fits. I don't get why they have to make the straps ridiculously long.

Kiriae
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2015, 10:53 am

DevilKisses wrote:
My pet peeve is overly long straps. It's hard enough finding a bra that fits. I don't get why they have to make the straps ridiculously long.

Too long are better than too short - you can easily shorten them if you know how to sew(assuming they have no regulation or they are too long even after the regulation).
Some bras also have changeable straps and even if they don't it is easy to make the grip so they are - the ability to sew really helps a lot.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2015, 10:18 am

I hardly ever wear bras now unless it's really warm out and wearing an undershirt would make roast even more, or I just want the extra "support". I think the biggest pet peeve is it showing through my tops, which is humiliating.

What was even more humiliating was back in junior high and some boys decided it would be incredibly intelligent and fun to snap the back of it through my shirt. I think if they did that now I could sue the entire school for sexual harassment. Or I could just put glue in their jock straps. :twisted:

Malus_Domestica
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Oct 2015, 4:45 am

I have a smallish bust, and have also breast fed two babies so they're not very ... er ... yeah. My pet peeves with bras are underwires and sometimes they have these rods or whatever in the side, and they hurt like h*ll. So I usually only wear sports bras, they're so comfortable!

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2015, 8:10 pm

My biggest pet peeve is it's hard to find anything in my size (32F or G) and not enough different styles to pick from. And I'm still not sure if I have the right size since I haven't been able to try on very many in my size range. I have to order online, or else drive to a mall an hour away.

Also I really don't like the synthetic materials bras are made of, they feel scratchy and abrasive.

And the straps are always too wide set on me. They slip off my shoulders unless I tighten them down a lot.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2015, 8:06 am

I have trouble finding bras with a small enough "band size" -- the bit that goes around your ribs -- but a large enough cup. I have a small ribcage/small body but fairly "generous" actual boobs (they're not fake, just real but not tiny). I will have to try Bravissimo too because I heard they do address that issue, while run of the mill shops just stock size correlations that fit most average women, and they seem to think that if you have a small ribcage you'll be an A or B cup.

I always end up having to buy a 34 C or D, and cutting the band up and sewing it back together so that it fits around my ribs instead of slipping around, a feeling a I hate. My true size is probably something like 30 FF, but that's just not the kind of size the average everyday store even stocks.

I also have problems with cups that are too far apart. Again, the bra seems to be made for a bigger woman -- not bigger as in overweight or large, but just a woman with a wider skeleton. I have bras where the cups are too far apart and cut into my boobs near the centre. I actually found a bra at Target in the US that was PERFECT for me. The cups were very close together and fit me perfectly. You can't get that particular bra anymore, and I'm still wearing the ones I have into the ground. They're the only things that fit me and I can't find a UK bra that fits my dimensions. I'm short and have a smaller frame than the women most bra sizes seem made for.

The only thing that worries me about Bravissimo is that those bras are pricier than plain old high street bras, and if I want more than one so that I can be comfortable every day, it's going to be quite a financial outlay.

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2015, 1:06 pm

BirdInFlight wrote:
I also have problems with cups that are too far apart. Again, the bra seems to be made for a bigger woman -- not bigger as in overweight or large, but just a woman with a wider skeleton. I have bras where the cups are too far apart and cut into my boobs near the centre.

Altering the center gore might help
http://bybabysrules.com/2012/08/25/bra- ... ing-wires/

I have the same problem with needing a small band, large cup, and a narrow gore. But when I try bras made like that, it seems like they are made for someone with more narrow/forward or "pointy" breasts than I have and the wire cuts in too close under my arms. My breasts are close set, but also wide. I need the wires to extend out pretty far, and make a large circle on a small band. It is damn hard to find that.

Quote:
I actually found a bra at Target in the US that was PERFECT for me. The cups were very close together and fit me perfectly. You can't get that particular bra anymore, and I'm still wearing the ones I have into the ground.

Did you check ebay? I have found discontinued bras on there (new, not used).

Also search for it on here, this site gives suggestions for bras with similar measurements and dimensions.
http://www.bratabase.com/

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2015, 1:31 pm

The gore! I never knew that part had a name! :lol:

Yes, I too need the wire/cup width to be wide as well as starting close together at the gore (using my new word for something!)

I did indeed find more of my discontinued bra on e-bay, but now even those seem to have dried up -- I think it may be me who exhausted the supply, hahah! I have that bra style and brand on the permanent Search feature that emails you, and there are no more emails coming in now. I even contacted someone who can custom make bras, with pictures of that Target bra, and she says she can't do it because although the actual cups are soft and not padded or anything (basically just two layers of chiffon-like nylon-ish material, they are heat molded and she doesn't have that machine.

I will check out that link though. It's my favorite bra of my entire life, seriously! I'm wearing one right now. :lol:

EDIT -- I just found my bra on that site you linked! But I can't figure out if they're saying there's one available to buy or if it's just database information that it existed. I was so happy to see it somewhere though!

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2015, 1:59 pm

BirdInFlight wrote:
EDIT -- I just found my bra on that site you linked! But I can't figure out if they're saying there's one available to buy or if it's just database information that it existed. I was so happy to see it somewhere though!

It's just a database (sorry to disappoint you!) But if you look around on there it may suggest other bras that have similar measurements.

seaweed
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2015, 1:22 am

my weight fluctuates a lot due to an eating disorder and so depending on my weight at the time certain bras i own may or may not be comfortable. sports bras are my friends except for when I wear them all day they start to feel constricting on my chest. at my lowest weights I usually just go without a bra but at my current weight i like wearing a Victoria's Secret "body" 32A. I don't think it's exactly my size at the moment but if I lost about 7 lbs it would fit close to perfect.

I have a lot of trouble with bras for the reason I've already stated and because many styles of bras don't fit on my form well. shelf bras for instance are the most awkward on me because my boobs don't fill them to the top, and also lots of styles tend to leave too much side boobage or be too bulky and make me feel like I've got blocks of wood on my chest. on this note I also greatly dislike push up bras.

Varelse
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Oct 2015, 4:15 pm

The only bra-related angst I suffer from is being expected to wear one in public.

Sometimes I just don't bother with it. When I do wear one, the most common problem experienced is shoulder pain that comes on with longer walks (more than 5 miles or 1 hour), or if the straps are too loose, they fall off the shoulder (equally annoying). That, and feeling like the thing is going to suffocate me because it's squeezing my rib cage too hard :roll: The racerback bra fixes the shoulder issues, but increases the ribcage restriction.

I don't wear one in the gym any more because it changes movement patterns and screws up my heavier lifts (deadlift, squats, bench press, and overhead thrusts).

adoylelb90815
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Nov 2015, 12:28 am

For me, the thing I hate is when a bra wears out to the point where the wire starts to poke me in the armpit. One interesting thing I found out is that the reason some bras have that bow in the center gore is that it goes back to when women wore corsets. Sorry, one interest I have is in history, and that even includes fashion.

heyyoujess
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

03 May 2016, 2:42 pm

Oh, no! Bras!

1. I hate the feeling of the chest band bunching, or not sitting flat, or fitting tight.

2. The shoulder straps must sit exactly at the spot where the clavicle swoops up and becomes more horizontal. That's the sweet spot. If it rests anywhere else, I'll be forever tugging on the straps.

3. I don't like a bra with too much lift (I'm a B/C cup), I feel like I'm always adjusting.

4. I hate bras with a formed cup - my breast is never the right shape, and either the fabric rubs, or it fits too tight. Pulling the breast into place like the bra experts recommend just makes me more uncomfortable (see pet peeve 3)

5. Also, if I try on a bra and it doesn't fit right, it's like my skin and body become sensitive for days. Even the bras I normally wear become intolerable, because I'm too aware of them. Ugh.

TheSilentOne
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2016, 12:01 pm

I can't tolerate padding or wire. I have trouble finding my size in my band (46) but I usually have good luck online and there is one style I can buy there I love.