Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2015, 3:37 pm

pcuser wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
From what i understand this isn't really in the national news or anything, but it is effecting Colorado, Utah, Arizona probably other states soon. Anyways not really looking good, heavy metals and other toxins have gotten into the Animas River because of the EPA f***ing around with an abandoned mine. Anyways here is a video:
https://video-dfw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hvideo-xft1/v/t42.1790-2/11810478_494421747384840_1711102582_n.mp4?efg=eyJybHIiOjQzMiwicmxhIjo2NDZ9&rl=432&vabr=240&oh=98e3e5453ddb530ab07ac0375bb630a7&oe=55CAF10F

So, are you suggesting we do away with the EPA?

No it could use better funding or something though so it can properly deal with these situations rather than have accidents like these...or something. I don't really know...either way they did let it loose, even if it was an accident but I realize it would not be fair to blame the whole thing on them they didn't put the abandoned mines up lol.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2015, 3:39 pm

pcuser wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
I thought maybe people would agree that this sucks and be at least mildly concerned.......now I just feel kind of stupid for posting it here.

I think most people are very concerned about this. I'm also concerned that many will blame the EPA for it when the fact is that Colorado refused the appropriate help because of tourism concerns. This is a case of privatizing profits and externalizing cleanups to the taxpayers. That's why we need to hold accountable corporations for their costs that they leave us. They should have to deal with it as they create these toxins...

I hear some surrounding states have accident waiting to happen sites around mines as well, so its not just Colorado that failed to take appropriate measures rather than effectively ignoring the issue till now...after tons of heavy metals have already been put into the water I mean hopefully action can be taken to prevent a lot more of these incidents but damage is already done I imagine.

Also though some of these are pretty old and the people 'responsible' may not even be alive anymore.

pcuser
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2015, 3:44 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
pcuser wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
I thought maybe people would agree that this sucks and be at least mildly concerned.......now I just feel kind of stupid for posting it here.

I think most people are very concerned about this. I'm also concerned that many will blame the EPA for it when the fact is that Colorado refused the appropriate help because of tourism concerns. This is a case of privatizing profits and externalizing cleanups to the taxpayers. That's why we need to hold accountable corporations for their costs that they leave us. They should have to deal with it as they create these toxins...

I hear some surrounding states have accident waiting to happen sites around mines as well, so its not just Colorado that failed to take appropriate measures rather than effectively ignoring the issue till now...after tons of heavy metals have already been put into the water I mean hopefully action can be taken to prevent a lot more of these incidents but damage is already done I imagine.

Also though some of these are pretty old and the people 'responsible' may not even be alive anymore.

I know these are old mines. When I talk about holding corporations responsible, I mean they should have to solve the issue as they produce it. And they shouldn't be allowed to create holding pits or tanks that can degrade or rupture over time. This has happened in West Virginia, I believe, where pits of coal ash have failed...