Page 5 of 7 [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2015, 4:33 am

if they would accept me for long-term residence, I would accept. but that kind of good fortune is not likely.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2015, 7:09 am

cyberdad wrote:
What happened to "live and let live"?

That means we all can have our opinions, emu brother.

As for why it was a lie: I recall it was actually a lie to begin with (the person made it up). Plus, it's insulting for the simple reason that it's implying people in Oz are prone to racial violence and minorities need protection from said people. As far as I can tell, that's not the case at all.

blue_bean
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2015, 9:34 am

Don't bother, it's expensive here. The capital cities are good for a few days holiday and that's it.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2015, 9:48 am

blue_bean wrote:
The capital cities are good for a few days holiday and that's it.

Yep

It's pretty much the same worldwide too (unless you have an interest in a specific culture, but that's kinda dying out now that the world is so connected).

People are pretty much the same everywhere. The sights may change, but if there's no specific interest, they end up looking all the same in the end (snow is snow wherever you go). But then, I'm kinda a party pooper with these things.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2015, 12:50 pm

Australia is a pretty fascinating place. I found out just the other week that my cousin is now living there, as a teacher. But "invading" it sounds pretty harsh. I'd be more worried about all the dangerous creatures that live there. I read that even the cuddly-looking koalas can actually infect you with chlamydia! I once read about a lady in Australia who said she woke up thinking her cat was curled up next to her, so she reached over to give it a pet. The big hairy spider that was actually there didn't appreciate that.

And it's not just animals, I read the apt-named Death Cap mushroom grows there, they have signs warning you not to touch them, and the gum trees that have branches that can suddenly just drop and crush you. Ever heard that sing-along, "Kookaburra living in the old gum tree?" the reason he laughs in that song must really be because he's deliberately putting extra weight on the branch and can just fly away when it lands on your skull! :lol:

Yeah, I think my cousin must be pretty brave to live in a place that Tv Tropes had as a Real Life example of Everything Trying to Kill You. Also I'll bet it's gonna get really tough around Christmastime when will be summer down there. My uncle who lives up in the Northwest Territories came down this summer and complained it was too hot! :)

Katira
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Aug 2015, 3:10 pm

Dillogic wrote:
blue_bean wrote:
The capital cities are good for a few days holiday and that's it.

Yep

It's pretty much the same worldwide too (unless you have an interest in a specific culture, but that's kinda dying out now that the world is so connected).

People are pretty much the same everywhere. The sights may change, but if there's no specific interest, they end up looking all the same in the end (snow is snow wherever you go). But then, I'm kinda a party pooper with these things.
Couldn´t agree more, except that I wouldn´t bother visiting capital cities, generally speaking. That´s why I don´t travel anymore/yet, the boring tourist trips would be all I could afford.

But as I´ve said earlier, I´m very interested in nature, and have spent some time watching documentaries on YT.
May I ask something?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K89Xa7RuH88
Do Australians in general think about these things today?

And this guy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyJp_Sg1M_c
(full episode here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m04zAef07Cs )
He lived in this tin shack, very spartan to say the least (with rats and snakes and god knows what as bonus pets :lol: )
Is it legal, don´t your health and safety authorities regulate such things yet?

Katira
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Aug 2015, 4:02 pm

Perhaps I should have mentioned that this

Katira wrote:
And this guy:
He lived in this tin shack, very spartan to say the least (with rats and snakes and god knows what as bonus pets :lol: )

came to mind because of this great stand up comedian:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAnGYfnFz9I
Full show "While It's Still Legal":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohogzxiqqkM

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2015, 6:19 pm

Dillogic wrote:
blue_bean wrote:
Don't bother, it's expensive here. The capital cities are good for a few days holiday and that's it.

Yep It's pretty much the same worldwide too (unless you have an interest in a specific culture, but that's kinda dying out now that the world is so connected).

it is affordable/not expensive where I live, but I live out in the sticks. isn't the outback also relatively affordable compared with the more temperate coastal cities?

Aprilviolets
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2015, 7:04 pm

I don't know how visitors cope with the Myki ticketing system in Melbourne its been chaos since it started.

Murihiku
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2015, 7:51 pm

Dillogic wrote:
As for why it was a lie: I recall it was actually a lie to begin with (the person made it up). Plus, it's insulting for the simple reason that it's implying people in Oz are prone to racial violence and minorities need protection from said people. As far as I can tell, that's not the case at all.

That was interesting. I had to go digging around, but I found a single news article in the Brisbane Times (plus a couple of blog posts) that showed that the initial story that inspired the hashtag was only half true. I would've like to have seen this story published in more news outlets, even if only to confirm what was said.

Still, I get the whole inspiration behind the hashtag. I think these kinds of social media movements are a backlash not so much against the kind of racial or ethnic violence you see in other countries, but rather against the racial fearmongering that, while still minor, seems to be on the rise in Australia, both in the news and in society as a whole. Groups like Reclaim Australia have the right to protest and express their views, but I'd still hope that everyone else will just shrug them off with a "meh, whatever" attitude.

Not sure how I would've felt if I were Muslim seeing people actually offering to ride with me to work or school on the train. I prefer to keep my own company on public transport. :P

There's the rub, the task.

– Virgil, The Aeneid (Book VI)

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2015, 9:54 pm

auntblabby wrote:
Dillogic wrote:
blue_bean wrote:
Yep It's pretty much the same worldwide too (unless you have an interest in a specific culture, but that's kinda dying out now that the world is so connected).
it is affordable/not expensive where I live, but I live out in the sticks. isn't the outback also relatively affordable compared with the more temperate coastal cities
The rent is much cheaper but you would have a harder time getting a job there. Would good is having cheaper rent if you have no income?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2015, 10:00 pm

RetroGamer87 wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
Dillogic wrote:
blue_bean wrote:
it is affordable/not expensive where I live, but I live out in the sticks. isn't the outback also relatively affordable compared with the more temperate coastal cities
The rent is much cheaper but you would have a harder time getting a job there. Would good is having cheaper rent if you have no income?

no jobs where I live also. if it weren't for some good luck, I'd be living under a bridge.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2015, 12:29 am

Katira wrote:
May I ask something?

And this guy:

You may.

You only really hear of dingoes mentioned if there's a human attack somewhere (usually Fraser Island, as there's many there for a small area). I've only seen them on said island (I might have heard some howling when I first moved here, but they might have been a pack of feral dogs). They don't seem to be as adapt at hunting like feral cats, so they're often really skinny. People see that they're native critters. I suppose they are, but you can tell they never evolved here.

As long as you own the land and pay the council rates, you can live how you want on it for the most part. People often build sheds on blocks of land out here as you have somewhere to live whilst you save up for a proper house (some people stay in the sheds; there's a dude just down the road that lives in his shed, and he has for over a decade). Funnily, my mother had a wild joey living in her home when she was young and living even further out west; they like pillow cases to sleep in (he had my room before I was born).

You can go bush and live that way too without owning land, just don't bring attention to yourself (like, bothering people). :) When there's so much space, the law doesn't really care unless you're being a nuisance.

syzygyish
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2015, 5:53 am

I have already invaded Australia and I don't want any more of you bogging up the works!

"Get your damn dirty paws off my girt by sea!"
:P

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2015, 5:55 am

you're so lucky to live there already. :|

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2015, 6:15 am

...It seems a lot of homeless people of a more " stable/permanent ' well-off ' " , nature , so to speak ,in Oz live in caves near cities out by the ocean ?
On a homeless-oriented board* that in fact came out of AU that I used to post on ~ It's now inactive/off the Web but its owner still has a placeholder page ~ I recall a post by a fairly long-term/stabilized HL , he was going to college/uni in town & living in a by-the-beach cave , IIRC .

ote="Dillogic"]

Katira wrote:
May I ask something?

And this guy:

You may.

You only really hear of dingoes mentioned if there's a human attack somewhere (usually Fraser Island, as there's many there for a small area). I've only seen them on said island (I might have heard some howling when I first moved here, but they might have been a pack of feral dogs). They don't seem to be as adapt at hunting like feral cats, so they're often really skinny. People see that they're native critters. I suppose they are, but you can tell they never evolved here.

As long as you own the land and pay the council rates, you can live how you want on it for the most part. People often build sheds on blocks of land out here as you have somewhere to live whilst you save up for a proper house (some people stay in the sheds; there's a dude just down the road that lives in his shed, and he has for over a decade). Funnily, my mother had a wild joey living in her home when she was young and living even further out west; they like pillow cases to sleep in (he had my room before I was born).

You can go bush and live that way too without owning land, just don't bring attention to yourself (like, bothering people). :) When there's so much space, the law doesn't really care unless you're being a nuisance.[/quote]