Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

teksla
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2015, 8:34 am

Hello.
I am a 15 year old with pddnos. Should i get a card that explains my contion, or even a bracelet??
When i get nervous i become completely nonverbal, so i think it might be a good idea.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2015, 8:46 am

You'd have to put "autistic" on the bracelet, not PDDNOS. Nobody, but people deeply involved in autism, know what PDDNOS is.

teksla
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2015, 12:14 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
You'd have to put "autistic" on the bracelet, not PDDNOS. Nobody, but people deeply involved in autism, know what PDDNOS is.

Okay. Thanks, still wondering if i should get one though

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2015, 12:42 pm

I don't think I would. It might make you stand out to bullies.

Maybe carry a card instead?

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2015, 8:12 pm

Personally I would recommend it. I have a bracelet, and a card that I keep in my wallet. The bracelet just says "Autism: Over Please" and on the back it has my name, the fact that I'm non-verbal under stress, the anxiolytic meds I take, and "ICE" ("in case of emergency") and my mom's phone number. I also have a card in my wallet behind my driver's license which states that I have autism, that I may behave strangely, and may have difficulty understanding verbal requests or commands. I prefer the bracelet because it's more immediate, and I don't have to fish around in my wallet in the middle of a meltdown to communicate my problem, and I don't have to risk getting shot by cops who think I'm reaching into my pocket for a weapon. As Kraftie says though, a bracelet can be a little more obvious, so if you're concerned about getting picked on, you could either get a bracelet which has your diagnosis on the back, with just the standard caduceus (medical symbol) on the front, or you could get an app for your phone. I use this one:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... iemeltdown

It's compatible with android and iOS phones, and is very simple to use. The main screen tells the person that you're nonverbal and can't process speech, but that you can communicate through text, and the app itself is a very simple text program that you can use to write what you want to say. This has similar accessibility problems as the card, but it's a little more effective as far as communicating information. Having the bracelet, the card and the app all at once is probably overkill, but I'm paranoid about the idea of being stuck in a threatening situation and being unable to communicate my needs, and subsequently having something bad happen.

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

Lumi
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2015, 10:21 pm

I wear a lanyard with a medical ID. It says 'person with autism may not respond to verbal commands.' I also may freeze in new situations, and be unable to do anything.

teksla
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2015, 12:44 am

StarTrekker wrote:
Personally I would recommend it. I have a bracelet, and a card that I keep in my wallet. The bracelet just says "Autism: Over Please" and on the back it has my name, the fact that I'm non-verbal under stress, the anxiolytic meds I take, and "ICE" ("in case of emergency") and my mom's phone number. I also have a card in my wallet behind my driver's license which states that I have autism, that I may behave strangely, and may have difficulty understanding verbal requests or commands. I prefer the bracelet because it's more immediate, and I don't have to fish around in my wallet in the middle of a meltdown to communicate my problem, and I don't have to risk getting shot by cops who think I'm reaching into my pocket for a weapon. As Kraftie says though, a bracelet can be a little more obvious, so if you're concerned about getting picked on, you could either get a bracelet which has your diagnosis on the back, with just the standard caduceus (medical symbol) on the front, or you could get an app for your phone. I use this one:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... iemeltdown

It's compatible with android and iOS phones, and is very simple to use. The main screen tells the person that you're nonverbal and can't process speech, but that you can communicate through text, and the app itself is a very simple text program that you can use to write what you want to say. This has similar accessibility problems as the card, but it's a little more effective as far as communicating information. Having the bracelet, the card and the app all at once is probably overkill, but I'm paranoid about the idea of being stuck in a threatening situation and being unable to communicate my needs, and subsequently having something bad happen.

Thanks. I have the app for my phone and android tablet. I am thinking about getting the card plus maybe a bracelet. Im think it would be because of my age. But your message was very helpful. Thank you

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2015, 12:07 am

My pleasure :)

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!