Page 1 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Fraljmir
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Aug 2015, 5:55 am

Hi everyone, I'm 19 and I recently went to the doctor and got a referral to a psychiatrist who will test me for Aspergers (& Depression). I sent the referral in today and I'm now waiting for a phone call in the next day or two.

I have some worries about getting diagnosed however. I'm worried that I'll subconsciously 'act it' to try and show the traits he expects to see. I'll be trying to act as I normally do, but I still can't help but think that I'll act different to usual which may lead to a misdiagnosis. I know it sounds strange, but I'm also worried that he'll tell me I don't have Aspergers, because when I looked at the symptoms a lot of them made complete sense and "completed the puzzle" so to speak. The only symptom I'm sure I don't have is facial recognition. I can generally read people's emotions through their faces well.

When you were getting your diagnosis did you have similar worries to this? And what should I expect when I go in for the diagnosis?

Thanks.

cooksp53
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

13 Aug 2015, 6:47 am

It's totally understandable to be nervous. Don't try to answer the questions in a certain way. That'll create more stress for yourself.

neilson_wheels
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2015, 6:57 am

It's very important that you are honest with the person assessing you, as a misdiagnosis would mean that you might not be able to get any useful help. If you receive a positive diagnosis just because you can physically act autistic then the clinician's opinion will not be worth much anyway.

starfox
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2015, 7:00 am

Hmm. I didn't look up autism at all before my diagnosis because I didn't want to take on any of the traits. In fact I tried to hide the traits I do already have but I was still diagnosed. Lol

I'm glad to be diagnosed though because it's helped

Destruction and creation are 2 sides of the same coin.

Xenization
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2015, 7:03 am

Try to relax and be as candid as you can with the person diagnosing you. If you want to know what to expect, here's one guide/story I found a while ago: http://musingsofanaspie.com/adult-diagnosis/.

Norny
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2015, 7:09 am

where do you live

Fraljmir
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Aug 2015, 7:12 am

Norny wrote:
where do you live

In Australia.

As for what everyone else is saying, yeah I definitely will try to be as honest as possible, and to act like I normally do. It's mainly on a subconscious level that I'm concerned about. I have a tendancy to do the same thing around authority figures (I'll try to act normal, which makes me think I'm acting strange, which makes me try harder to act normal and then I just feel extremely awkward).

Norny
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2015, 7:21 am

What exactly do you need/want a diagnosis for?

Also, how long have you been thinking about this? Do you have any friends that know or that you talk to about it? They may be helpful in the assessment process.

Fraljmir
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Aug 2015, 7:49 am

Norny wrote:
What exactly do you need/want a diagnosis for?

Also, how long have you been thinking about this? Do you have any friends that know or that you talk to about it? They may be helpful in the assessment process.

I mainly need/want a diagnosis because I struggle in social situations and while I don't think I leave bad impressions, I never leave good impressions it seems. It makes things like job interviews, and making friends difficult. Although, I do prefer to be alone majority of the time so the making friends side of things doesn't concern me too much.

I've suspected it for about two years, but only started reading into it a lot more 3 weeks ago. I do have two friends who are on the autism spectrum, and another with ADHD and funnily enough I get along with them better than anyone- I can be myself around them. The two on the autism spectrum are both very, very different people. I see a lot of similarities in myself with one of them, and I've talked to him about it. He says there are some things he sees in me that would fit into the autism spectrum, but he's not sure and that I should get it checked.

Norny
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2015, 7:57 am

Do you have any non-autistic friends that have suggested it to you, or any teachers in the past?

Perhaps it'd ease your mind to explain your case here. What routines/sensory issues etc. do you have? What special interest do you have?

Who are you seeing in Australia? Which state do you live in?

Does your family know? Do you have brothers/sisters?

Fraljmir
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Aug 2015, 8:19 am

Norny wrote:
Do you have any non-autistic friends that have suggested it to you, or any teachers in the past?

Perhaps it'd ease your mind to explain your case here. What routines/sensory issues etc. do you have? What special interest do you have?

Who are you seeing in Australia? Which state do you live in?

Does your family know? Do you have brothers/sisters?

I've never had anyone suggest it, but there have been people that have pointed out certain symptoms.

For instance, when I was in primary school my teachers used to talk to me and I just wouldn't hear them until they were right infront of me. They thought I had bad hearing problems, so I had a hearing test and got 500/500. I also don't like bright lights, they make me feel uncomfortable. I'm able to concentrate and be more productive in the dark. Routines? Not entirely sure about that. I don't think I have many routines, but if I do something I like to do it the same way every time, regardless of whether it's the most efficient way or not. I like video editing and programming, and these are the sort of things I like doing the same thing every time for. I'm not very imaginative with my concepts and ideas, but I do basic ideas to a high standard. Another thing that I do the same way every time is introductions (I usually always say "Good thanks, yourself?" when someone asks how I'm going- it means I don't have to think of something on the spot).

What do you mean by who am I seeing? As in, my doctor or the psychiatrist I'm going to see? I haven't yet met the psychiatrist, I just have a booking (I'm not sure if I should mention his name? I looked them up and they seem to be extremely qualified, maybe even over-qualified). I live in Victoria.

And yes, my family knows, I told them two nights ago which was extremely hard for me to do. I have trouble talking about emotional problems, which this was one of. I knew they'd react to it well and be supportive, but it was still very hard to get the words out. I had to sit there for a minute or more and think about how to word something before it finally came out (albiet not very well worded). My mum thinks her father had Aspergers. And yes, I have two older sisters.

Last edited by Fraljmir on 13 Aug 2015, 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2015, 8:28 am

Fraljmir wrote:
Hi everyone, I'm 19 and I recently went to the doctor and got a referral to a psychiatrist who will test me for Aspergers (& Depression). I sent the referral in today and I'm now waiting for a phone call in the next day or two.

I have some worries about getting diagnosed however. I'm worried that I'll subconsciously 'act it' to try and show the traits he expects to see. I'll be trying to act as I normally do, but I still can't help but think that I'll act different to usual which may lead to a misdiagnosis. I know it sounds strange, but I'm also worried that he'll tell me I don't have Aspergers, because when I looked at the symptoms a lot of them made complete sense and "completed the puzzle" so to speak. The only symptom I'm sure I don't have is facial recognition. I can generally read people's emotions through their faces well.

When you were getting your diagnosis did you have similar worries to this? And what should I expect when I go in for the diagnosis?

Thanks.

Difficulty in reading facial expressions is not one of the diagnostic criteria, thought it may be related to one of them. You do not need to tick off all the boxes in a list of traits sometimes associated with autism to be diagnosed, you need to meet the basic criteria in a way that isn't better explained by something else. That's about it.

The kind of anxiety you are feeling is completely normal before you are assessed, but it's helpful to recognize that the feeling is just a feeling and not try and justify it by overthinking the causes.

Norny's question about why you want the diagnosis is very good, but it might be more important to think in terms of what impairments you are experiencing that might be attributable to autism. Bringing the impacts of the traits you have identified in yourself to the doctors attention will probably be helpful.

Don't get caught up in worrying about acting or not acting the right way, unless the diagnostician is totally incompetent, that won't matter.

Norny
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2015, 8:33 am

That's interesting, and a very brave thing you did by explaining your suspicions to your family. It sucks that you suffer from depression.

I live in Victoria as well. I'm only slightly older than you.. perhaps I have spoken to you. Or maybe you know the autistic people that I have known. An interesting thought. 8)

Though it seems like you'd want to be diagnosed, receiving no diagnosis or even different diagnoses isn't a huge deal. You'd still have your autistic traits and you'd eventually be able to feel content with those without having the label. What matters is that you feel better, with or without treatment. Though, if you're going for a diagnosis, it'd be best to make use of all the support you could get as that's what they're for. And by all means, if you are diagnosed, feel free to celebrate if you feel it fits.

I'm not autistic. I have autistic traits, though upon consideration they don't seem to be rooted in anything to do with autism. I have been assessed and though I was not diagnosed autistic (rightfully so), it helped me a bunch. It's a great personal learning journey.

Feel free to PM me if you want to discuss anything. I hope your assessment is worth it.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2015, 8:34 am

There has been much research which points to people with autism tending to have a more "generalized" view of faces than the "neurotypical" population.

There is even a theory which states that this "generalization" of faces causes a disinclination to socialize.

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2015, 8:38 am

You can also just tell the person you're talking to that you're nervous and afraid you'll exaggerate things without meaning to.

What you're talking about is something I studied over the Summer called disability masquerade. It's like how when I go to the neurologist I exaggerate my neurological symptoms, partially without thinking about it and partially on purpose to make sure I get the medication I need for my migraines and documentation I need for my neuro disease. It's a natural phenomenon when people are self-conscious about something like that.

Fraljmir
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Aug 2015, 8:41 am

Norny wrote:
I live in Victoria as well. I'm only slightly older than you.. perhaps I have spoken to you. Or maybe you know the autistic people that I have known. An interesting thought. 8)

That's definitely a thought, it makes me both equally curious and nervous thinking of it like that. The 'cool face' makes me think you know something that I don't haha. Victoria is a pretty populated state though, so the chances are slim. Who knows though.

And thanks for the concern. I'll be sure to update it here with how the diagnosis goes.

Last edited by Fraljmir on 13 Aug 2015, 8:47 am, edited 2 times in total.