who here is left-handed or right-handed or ambidextrous?

Page 1 of 7 [ 108 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

left-handed, right-handed, or ambidextrous?
I'm a leftie :alien: 17%  17%  [ 12 ]
I'm a rightie :arrow: 54%  54%  [ 39 ]
I'm somewhere in between/ambi :star: 24%  24%  [ 17 ]
I wanna nice yummy ice cream! :chef: 6%  6%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 72

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2015, 12:56 am

who here is left-handed, right-handed, or ambidextrous? I gots to know :alien:
I'm nominally a leftie but a severe accident in 2012 forced me to learn how to use my right hand for everything.

sleepingpancake
Toucan
Toucan

14 Aug 2015, 1:08 am

im right handed, though i wanna be ambidextrous....wonder how long will it takes for my leftie to learn huh :thumleft:

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2015, 1:08 am

sleepingpancake wrote:
im right handed, though i wanna be ambidextrous....wonder how long will it takes for my leftie to learn huh :thumleft:

thank you for your reply :) your left eventually can learn if it is forced to learn with no alternative, as my right was. it takes several months for the brain to rewire itself.

Lumi
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2015, 1:15 am

ambidextrous

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2015, 1:20 am

yay :star:

Fraljmir
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Aug 2015, 1:24 am

I'm mainly right handed, but I use both hands depending on the situation. For example, when I eat food I can use the fork/knife in either hand, I often find myself switching quite often between the two. I notice myself eating with fork/knife in the opposite hand to everyone else quite often. I switch usually 2-5 times during a meal, no idea why, it just happens.

A lot of tasks I can do equally as well with both hands, but things like throwing a ball I can't do with my left hand.

So all in all, ambidextrous maybe? Somewhere inbetween? Not entirely sure in my situation.

Myriad
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Aug 2015, 1:28 am

I'm a rightie, but I use my left hand for a couple of tasks.

I find hand dominance fascinating.

AQ: 39 / 50

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2015, 1:48 am

^^^
IMHO you're both "somewhere in between" in that if you can do even one task with either hand, you are not by definition a hard leftie or rightie. my late mother was a hard rightie, she could not do anything major with her left hand other than to assist her right hand. for example, in shoveling in the garden, she could not switch sides when she tired.

Myriad
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Aug 2015, 2:04 am

auntblabby wrote:
^^^
IMHO you're both "somewhere in between" in that if you can do even one task with either hand, you are not by definition a hard leftie or rightie. my late mother was a hard rightie, she could not do anything major with her left hand other than to assist her right hand. for example, in shoveling in the garden, she could not switch sides when she tired.

That's interesting! I guess it's kind of like a continuum.

Tasks can certainly be learned, too. I went through a phase where I was obsessed with left-handedness, and tried to train my left hand to do certain tasks. Now when I switch back to my right hand to brush my teeth, it just feels wrong. Opening jar lids with my left hand was always just natural, though.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2015, 2:13 am

Myriad wrote:
Tasks can certainly be learned, too. I went through a phase where I was obsessed with left-handedness, and tried to train my left hand to do certain tasks. Now when I switch back to my right hand to brush my teeth, it just feels wrong. Opening jar lids with my left hand was always just natural, though.

sounds like your brain rewired itself only too well, mine never went that far in that my right hand is still comparatively fumbly when doing normally leftie tasks.

Myriad
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Aug 2015, 2:21 am

auntblabby wrote:
Myriad wrote:

sounds like your brain rewired itself only too well, mine never went that far in that my right hand is still comparatively fumbly when doing normally leftie tasks.

It probably depends on the actual task, too. I need to use my right hand if the task requires great precision, like handwriting. How did you go with learning to write?

Fraljmir
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Aug 2015, 2:25 am

The question wasn't directed to me but learning to write's an interesting one for me. I've always had 'horrible' hand-writing. No-matter how much I practiced, it looked like a fourth graders scribbles. Quite frustrating really, hand-writing just never came naturally to me, I avoid it whenever possible. I also had a great deal of trouble learning to tie my shoes, which was embarrassing. It took me until I was 14 or 15 to get a grasp of tying my shoes. Glad I don't have to worry about that anymore.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2015, 2:32 am

Myriad wrote:
It probably depends on the actual task, too. I need to use my right hand if the task requires great precision, like handwriting. How did you go with learning to write?

very slowly and painstakingly. since my left arm was totally casted and out of commission, I had to use it as a brace to rest my right hand on, so it would not quiver so much. then I would plot out one stroke of each letter or number at a time, then the next stroke, then the next one, each taking a few seconds, and after about a minute I might be able to write one line, like the "pay to" line on a check. then I was be basically exhausted after that short effort, and it would take me a half-hour to recover. it would make me nauseous and dizzy, that amount of effort. granted, I was pretty effed up after my accident, I was one big fractured contused piece of raw meat. I was riding my bike in the hills when some deer bounded out from the bushes on both sides of me, too fast for me to react, and the next thing I knew I flew over the handlebars and landed in a crushed bloody heap on the hard rough pavement, in a rapidly expanding pool of my own blood. I almost bled out but somehow [I suspect providence] I made it to the hospital on my own power. spent the next week there in post-op with both arms in casts and slings, with just enough movement in the right arm to slowly/clumsily/messily feed myself. anyways, I just crudely gripped the pen and forced my right hand to slowly move the pen across the paper. fast-forward to now, I can slowly write with my right hand, slowly and clumsily brush my teeth, and do other personal tasks. but probably never as fluidly as with my naturally dominant left hand, my brain didn't seem to want to entirely rewire itself.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2015, 2:33 am

Fraljmir wrote:
The question wasn't directed to me but learning to write's an interesting one for me. I've always had 'horrible' hand-writing. No-matter how much I practiced, it looked like a fourth graders scribbles. Quite frustrating really, hand-writing just never came naturally to me, I avoid it whenever possible. I also had a great deal of trouble learning to tie my shoes, which was embarrassing. It took me until I was 14 or 15 to get a grasp of tying my shoes. Glad I don't have to worry about that anymore.

I've always had mediocre handwriting and could never write legibly in flowing cursive, I've always had to laboriously print with much soreness in my left hand after only about a page of quasi-scribble. can you tell me, did you grip a pen or pencil in a conventional way or did you have an idiosyncratic method of holding onto the pen or pencil?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2015, 2:34 am

not too many lefties so far, I wonder why? :scratch:

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2015, 2:37 am

I have no clue why I'm right handed. My mom's a lefty. Saab drivers supposedly are, my last two rides wore Griffins. I have my moments of ambidexterity but my right arm is really more aware most days.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen: