Page 1 of 5 [ 75 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

evilreligion
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Aug 2015, 12:59 am

Ok so following on from the piece I wrote a month or so ago about social justice warrior types damaging the autism rights movement I have written a follow up piece about them using autism as an excuse for their behaviour. There is, as far as I can tell, a plethora of tumblrites who "self identify" as autistic. I am pretty sure that many are using their "self diagnosis" as an excuse and that this is harming the image of genuine autistic people.

Now I don't this to be seen as an attack on everyone who self diagnoses. It can be useful to do so BUT if you are going to give advice to others on autism, criticise parents or other autistic people or generally do the things that SJW's get up to then I think you had better damned well get a proper diagnosis first.

As we all know autism is a hugely varied and wide spectrum. With the internet anyone could, if they were in the right frame of mind, spend an hour or two reading about autism and find some autistic like traits in themselves. Pretty much any one on the planet could do this. More problematic are the on-line tests for autism. These are so subjective and so dependant on the mood and frame of reference of the person doing them. I could, for example, take an on-line test and easily get a has autism score if I wanted to or if I was in a frame of mind I was in for example the question (taken from such a test)

* Do you lack interest in spontaneously sharing your interests or joys with others?

Well that depends. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. Now if I "wanted" to get and autism score I answer yes if not I answer no. Anyone who has done even a little bit of research knows how to answer "correctly". Now the human mind often tricks us into thinking we are being honest with ourselves when we are not. If we want and answer to such a question then we will fool ourselves into thinking we are answering with the "correct" answer honestly.

So if someone with say a narccisistic personality disorder is taking such a test then it is entirely possible that they will unconsciously answer with the correct autism answers because autism is perferable to narcissim in their mind.

Anyway. Hope this does not cause any offense to the self-diagnosed. The article is really about the negative impact of the SJW mentality on the perception of autism rather than self diagnosis as such.

Note: I have started this on a different blog because it is slightly off topic from my main blog as it focuses more on SJW nonsense than autism per se.

https://incompletenesstheory.wordpress. ... en-ticket/

cooksp53
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

14 Aug 2015, 8:45 am

Very good post. You make an excellent point about the value of a diagnosis.

I total agree. That is if I understand your points correctly. Self-diagnosis for finding coping skills with life = good. Self-diagnosis to start a career as an activist = bad.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2015, 8:47 am

One could be an autistic advocate without being autistic--as long as that person educates his/herself about the viewpoints of autistic people.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2015, 9:09 am

Are you saying that there are aspie-poseurs on Tumblr?

I am shocked!

Shocked, I say!

evilreligion
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Aug 2015, 9:56 am

Fnord wrote:

I am shocked!

Shocked, I say!

:lol:
Yes its seems this is a well known phenomona although to be honest I'd never even been on tumblr unit a few months ago. The whole SJW tumlr experience has been somewhat of an eyeopener for me! Its a crazy world.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2015, 10:01 am

Nothing shameful about having Asperger's--but I just don't see the glamor in it. It doesn't make sense.

Maybe the "smart" aspect of it--but otherwise. No glamor in it!

cooksp53

14 Aug 2015, 10:16 am

Fnord wrote:

I am shocked!

Shocked, I say!

Casablanca?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2015, 10:18 am

There is something Humphrey Bogartian about Fnord--but at least he'll survive longer than him.

Lukeda420
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2015, 10:58 am

Why is SJW a slur. When I see this phrase being used it's primarily by misogynists who distort the feminist philosophy. The so called "men's rights activists" who spend the majority of there time and effort to harass any woman who expresses an opinion counter to theirs. Again why is it somehow wrong to be against harassing people for their gender, race, or sexual orientation? And why is it wrong to call them out for it? I don't get it.

iliketrees
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2015, 12:12 pm

And I imagine pointing out that they don't have a diagnosis would work in their favor, especially if they're an adult female. They could talk about how they didn't have support growing up unlike those with early diagnoses and how people don't think girls are autistic so they can't get a diagnosis and actually twist it against you and make it look like you're a bad person for pointing out that they're "self identified". You can't win against professional victims, which is what those who call themselves SJWs are. I've seen posts and I really hope they're satirical. I really hope the whole SJW thing is a joke, but there are probably people out there taking it seriously.

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2015, 12:29 pm

Lukeda420 wrote:
Why is SJW a slur. When I see this phrase being used it's primarily by misogynists who distort the feminist philosophy. The so called "men's rights activists" who spend the majority of there time and effort to harass any woman who expresses an opinion counter to theirs. Again why is it somehow wrong to be against harassing people for their gender, race, or sexual orientation? And why is it wrong to call them out for it? I don't get it.

It depends how you do it. I am against all those things, too, but if you use the word "microaggressions" with anything but derision, scorn or contempt (for the word), then it's likely that it is wrong when you call people out on their transgressions.

Lukeda420
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2015, 1:01 pm

Adamantium wrote:
Lukeda420 wrote:

It depends how you do it. I am against all those things, too, but if you use the word "microaggressions" with anything but derision, scorn or contempt, then it's likely that it is wrong when you call people out on their transgressions.

I still don't get it. So some people are naive. Call them that instead. Like I said I primarily see this phrase used by misogynists and trolls when reacting to people calling them on their sh*t. Why does anyone want to associate themselves with that crowd by adopting their terminology? Just check how many times that phrase is used on the white supremacist site stormfront. That's the kind of people who turned this phrase into a slur. Why does anyone want to sound like that if they are not racist or bigoted?

evilreligion
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Aug 2015, 1:25 pm

Lukeda420 wrote:
Why is SJW a slur. When I see this phrase being used it's primarily by misogynists who distort the feminist philosophy.

Indeed this was exactly what I used to think.

Quote:
The so called "men's rights activists" who spend the majority of there time and effort to harass any woman who expresses an opinion counter to theirs.

You will find no love if MRAs from me. In my mind they are the same as radical feminists in my opinion, just blaming all their problems on the boogy man. Rad fems blame the patriarchy MRAs blame feminism. Both are a bunch if losers who take no responsibility for their own faired in life.

Quote:
Again why is it somehow wrong to be against harassing people for their gender, race, or sexual orientation? And why is it wrong to call them out for it? I don't get it.

None if these things are wrong. I am as progressive a person as you will ever meet. I passionate believe in equality for all humans.
But the SJW mentality is an entirely different thing to genuine activism. The SJW is all about feeling morally superior to others and attacking others by using identity politics to shame them, they deliberately take offence at the most innocuous of things claiming racism, sexism, ableism or whatever ism stings to mind. This belittles the genuine oppression faces by various minority group.

Please do not confuse SJW mentality with genuine social justice activism it is very different. As I said before I used to think those that moaned about SJWs where just butt hurt misogynists and racists that was until I experienced first hand the viciousness of SJWs in the autism community. Trust me these SJWs are a cancer that is ruining all social justice rights movements

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2015, 1:42 pm

Lukeda420 wrote:
I still don't get it. So some people are naive. Call them that instead. Like I said I primarily see this phrase used by misogynists and trolls when reacting to people calling them on their sh*t. Why does anyone want to associate themselves with that crowd by adopting their terminology? Just check how many times that phrase is used on the white supremacist site stormfront. That's the kind of people who turned this phrase into a slur. Why does anyone want to sound like that if they are not racist or bigoted?

Interesting, it's not an acronym I am familiar with, so I don't make that association.

What the term "social justice warrior" communicated to me was the idea of a fake, a person who uses the pose of crusading for social justice as an excuse to harass people and claim moral superiority. It seems like a very similar concept to "political correctness" which is often also used by nasty people to suppress criticism.

The problem is that while those ideas can be misused in that way, the abuses they label are also real. There are feminists and theorists of social justice who invite ridicule because of the way they employ this kind of criticism.

What evilreligion says about people "identifying" as autistic and then taking up the challenge as warriors for autism makes sense and is to be expected given the inherent problems in the "identity" idea.

Lukeda420
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2015, 1:43 pm

evilreligion wrote:
Lukeda420 wrote:
Why is SJW a slur. When I see this phrase being used it's primarily by misogynists who distort the feminist philosophy.

Quote:
The so called "men's rights activists" who spend the majority of there time and effort to harass any woman who expresses an opinion counter to theirs.

You will find no love if MRAs from me. In my mind they are the same as radical feminists in my opinion, just blaming all their problems on the boogy man. Rad fems blame the patriarchy MRAs blame feminism. Both are a bunch if losers who take no responsibility for their own faired in life.

Quote:
Again why is it somehow wrong to be against harassing people for their gender, race, or sexual orientation? And why is it wrong to call them out for it? I don't get it.

None if these things are wrong. I am as progressive a person as you will ever meet. I passionate believe in equality for all humans.
But the SJW mentality is an entirely different thing to genuine activism. The SJW is all about feeling morally superior to others and attacking others by using identity politics to shame them, they deliberately take offence at the most innocuous of things claiming racism, sexism, ableism or whatever ism stings to mind. This belittles the genuine oppression faces by various minority group.

Please do not confuse SJW mentality with genuine social justice activism it is very different. As I said before I used to think those that moaned about SJWs where just butt hurt misogynists and racists that was until I experienced first hand the viciousness of SJWs in the autism community. Trust me these SJWs are a cancer that is ruining all social justice rights movements

Then be creative and come up with a new term instead of using one primarily associated with horrible people.

Another thing radical feminists are a fringe element in the larger movement and should rightly be ignored. But I can guarantee that there are far more MRA's and misogynists than there are radical feminists. So don't claim they are equal, they aren't. Show me some MRA's that have been driven from their homes because of online threats and harassment.

So sorry, if a person uses SJW as a slur, the thing that makes the most sense to me is to assume they are not smart enough to understand the nuances of the conversation or are just miserable people who live to sh*t on others.

And if getting called racist by strangers upsets you, than you need to figure out why. It's either because you're a racist or you're just too easily offended, like the people you're complaining about.

evilreligion
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Aug 2015, 2:36 pm

Lukeda420 wrote:
evilreligion wrote:
Lukeda420 wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

Then be creative and come up with a new term instead of using one primarily associated with horrible people.

It isn't primarily associated with horrible people.

Quote:
Another thing radical feminists are a fringe element in the larger movement and should rightly be ignored. But I can guarantee that there are far more MRA's and misogynists than there are radical feminists. So don't claim they are equal, they aren't.

The radical feminists far far far outweigh MRAs in numbers. In terms if insanity they are about equal though.

Quote:
Show me some MRA's that have been driven from their homes because of online threats and harassment.

Show me the radical feminists that have. Genuinely that is not the Zoe Quinn and Anita sarkesian fakeness.

Quote:
So sorry, if a person uses SJW as a slur, the thing that makes the most sense to me is to assume they are not smart enough to understand the nuances of the conversation or are just miserable people who live to sh*t on others.

Interesting that these are the only options you consider viable.

Quote:
And if getting called racist by strangers upsets you, than you need to figure out why.

That's easy. It's because anyone that calls me a racist is lying and is rendering the term racist meaningless thus giving cover to genuine racists. I short the SJW types that scream racist at every imagines insult are reducing the effectiveness of race equality activism
Quote:
It's either because you're a racist or you're just too easily offended, like the people you're complaining about.

Or the third option is that I am sick of people screaming false accusations of racism and so rendering the term meaningless. Every time an SJW shrieks false accusations of racism, ableism, sexism of any other ism they belittle those causes. They harm the very things they purport to support. I happen to care about all those things, so it pisses me off.