Not fitting in with NTs, not fitting in with Aspies?

Page 1 of 4 [ 59 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

unnamed
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Apr 2007, 1:21 pm

Kaleido wrote:
Sounds like a great dad to me Unnamed.

Thanks, Kaleido. After I was diagnosed, he told me that he never thought there was anything "wrong" with the way I was. He thought my quirks were funny, and he'd always just assumed I was as antisocial as he was! It was pretty comical. He always pushed me hard for good grades in school, but then roared with laughter whenever I came home and told him how I'd made a teacher look stupid! I was lucky to have him. And I'm glad to hear that you're feeling more at ease now! I am too, but it's always going to be hard for all of us at times. I've finally accepted that those who tend to misunderstand our communication style wouldn't be too pleasant for us to have around in the first place. Social issues have a way of sorting themselves out for the better, if we stop worrying about what the other person thinks of us, and instead decide whether or not we like them!

Kaleido
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2007, 5:32 am

unnamed wrote:
Social issues have a way of sorting themselves out for the better, if we stop worrying about what the other person thinks of us, and instead decide whether or not we like them!

I care a lot less now, mind you, I didn't much care what people thought before with certain things like clothes but if people pick on you because of your differences, that is hard to take if there might be physical violence at the end of it, otherwise I am indifferent to peoples judgements about my appearance or interests.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2007, 6:15 am

To reiterate: I’m only alone when I’m around people.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2007, 6:19 am

I don't know many AS but I feel I have a hard time fitting in whatever. I noticed similarities but I still think I'm different. Actually it could be similarities that could cause problems. Like with this ASD guy at my martial arts. I chose the pigeon hole exactly in centre and then he came all and said he had to put his stuff there because that the one he has to use. I felt a bit uncomfortable/pissed not having it there. I can move because I know he'll feel the same way possibly worse.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2007, 5:49 pm

I feel that way sometimes. I just figure that maybe I wasn't meant to fit in anywhere.

MsTriste
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2007, 5:56 pm

This thread is an example of why I put up with this place - because occasionally you read posts from others that ring so true, and I realize I am not the only one that has certain problems. It is such a relief.

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2007, 6:08 pm

IdahoRose wrote:
I feel that way sometimes. I just figure that maybe I wasn't meant to fit in anywhere.

It's the same for me, I am afraid I can't fit in here either

MsTriste
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2007, 6:16 pm

I think Apatura said it best: "I am an outcast among outcasts".
Perhaps we should start an outcome among outcasts forum here for those of us who don't feel we fit in here either. But then we might not fit in there, either :evil:

Kosmonaut
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2007, 6:28 pm

I think that if you feel you 'fit in' anywhere, then you probably don't have AS.

After years and years of knowing you are not within the norm, you discover they have a name for it. There is no reason why this should cure alienation.

I don't 'fit-in' as people united in support of a football team, for example.
But i recognise my own kind, at least this is something.

RadiationHazard
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2007, 6:47 pm

I've always felt like an outsider. Never welcome anywhere.

Always thought it was either self-imposed or punishment for some past unknown sin, and that I deserved it.

There I go again, somehow finding a way to blame everything on myself.

I kinda got used to it though. As it it was my lot in life to be the outsider. The Observer. The lone wolf.

Dr. Chase: I'm Australian.

Dr. House: You put the Queen on your money, you're British.

aspiebegood
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Apr 2007, 9:50 pm

Good grades in university seem to really help in the nonaspie world.

philski
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

10 Apr 2007, 10:15 pm

No wonder I have a real passion for wolves. I've been a lone wolf all my life. I can understand the wolves dilema about misinformation, unfair judgements, and downright prejudice about these magnificant animals.
I've dated another aspie for four years now. Aside from her, I have no friends and for the most part have given up on seeking out NT friends. I'm self-employed due to not being able to hold down a job working for others for more than six months.
I'm a Newbie as far as discovering AS. It is such a relief to understand why I am the way I am. Now the challenge is practicing self forgiveness for all the years of disasterous results in the relationship department.
Philski

RadiationHazard
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2007, 10:23 pm

Just relationships?

Half of my thoughts the last couple days are of how all of this might still be my fault.

SpaceCase
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2007, 10:25 pm

I feel that I don't fit in anywhere,as well.

-SpaceCase

Last edited by SpaceCase on 10 Apr 2007, 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RadiationHazard
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2007, 10:28 pm

Does anyone?

Kaleido
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2007, 2:33 am

philski wrote:

I'm a Newbie as far as discovering AS. It is such a relief to understand why I am the way I am. Now the challenge is practicing self forgiveness for all the years of disasterous results in the relationship department.

It is hard to look back over your life and see it absolutely littered with all the mistakes (in NT eyes) and knowing there is not a thing you can do apart from accept it, which sounds simple and in practice, is hard.