Research funding for Adults went down from 2008 to 2012

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2015, 4:17 pm

ASAN Statement on GAO Report on Autism Research Funding

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2015, 6:07 pm

Definitely not cool!

JCJC777
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

31 Aug 2015, 5:28 am

sadly mental health is very underweight in medical research overall; c.5% of spend, against c.23% of DALYs (disability) and more of suffering (especially when collateral suffering of family included).
Stigma works at many levels, including that most medical leaders are from acute (i.e. non-mental-health) backgrounds.

I believe the best way forward is for communities such as this to find their own ways forward; to share and build on their own experiences and experiments in what has been useful and good for them.

A few of us here have found ways out of Asperger (mine is here http://unlearningasperger.blogspot.co.uk); if you'd like to join with us, let us know.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2015, 5:43 pm

You know, I read that link with mixed feelings, because I think that hardly anyone is asking the big questions:

who is the research for? whose interests is it primarily serving? in what context is it taking place? why has all the research to date been of so little value to people on the spectrum? are ASD people used in these studies subjects or objects? who funds different research and for what ultimate purposes? where is our research, by us, with us, about us and for us? how is the past and status quo of benefit to ASD people?

It seems to me that the overall goal to date is to find "the cause" of ASD - just as researchers have looked for years (often in the wrong places) for "the cause" of cancer. (Note: I am not saying ASD is equivalent to cancer, NOT AT ALL - merely using an analogy of using a lot of money and time to produce relatively little useful result).

Off the top of my head I cannot think of a single study that has produced findings of lasting benefit and value to people on the spectrum. I can think of hundreds of over-claimed examples that seem primarily to have been undertaken to advance the researcher's career path and future funding.

So I am cynic in this circumstance and given the overall underlying ethos of bulk of the existing research, I may find difficult to lament the reduced funding for it. Autism Speaks must always be evaluated cautiously for the underlying motive of funding research in often covert ways to obtain results it wishes to receive and use to promote its propaganda.