The ‘Ideal’ Woman’s Body... In 18 Countries

Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

iliketrees
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2015, 10:43 am

If you're so concerned about the ads then they can be turned off, even for free. The ads annoy the f**k out of me so I just put my phone on airplane mode which disables the ads. And yes, chocolates are designed to look appealing to children. Doesn't mean parents have to buy everything the kid wants. Actually they shouldn't. They need to hear "no" for an answer rather than get their way. It would exist with or without children directed advertising.

I don't think I've seen a clothing catalog in more than 5 years. Not once in the time I have seen them have I thought "oh they're thin I'll be thin too". I am a teenage girl.

Your own choice. The ads obviously are designed to make you want to buy it, but at the end of the day you're the one making the decisions. They don't make you do anything.

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2015, 11:52 am

I am not claiming that they make me do anything, I use adblock which works a treat for this site. This was a bubble gum topic which has become more of a social commentary on things I have noticed and it is not about adds forcing changes in my life.

I think adds introduce thoughts generally in people of I need to purchase that product to avoid various societal inadequacies/to be the best I can be. That is what irritates me. It attempts to, but doesn't manipulate my own insecurities.

Critical thinking skills are often not encouraged as much as rote learning or memorisation within our educational establishments, again a generalisation, but if young minds are moulded to receive/accept information, without fully questioning it, how on earth will they question the broader issues in life. How will they question what they are being exposed to subliminally? (I am coming from the context of end of term exam only state assessments, and not continuous assessment techniques.)

If children enter adolescence as active consumers, without active critical thinking skills, they perhaps are primed to grow into sheeple without even choosing that path in life. It just is the norm.

Kinme
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2015, 4:28 am

Ugh, I've seen this countless times on FB now. Getting old. They're too horribly photoshopped for me to personally take them seriously.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2015, 4:42 am

I don't see much difference between one country and another except in body size: ALL are curvy hour-glass bodies, with good sized boobs proportionally to body size.

Unlike what those who believe that it's all due to media and culture, this just validates how same species we are across the planet and how our a lot of our perception of beauty is biologically innate.

And of course the build size would differ, for example Chinese people in average are more petite than most Europeans and even Filipinas so normally their ideal body would be more petite.

And yes, what women usually think what straight men find ideal is usually wrong, very wrong, they think that straight men like what the fashion designers (who most of them are gay) like for practical reasons.

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2015, 5:19 am

Kinme wrote:
Ugh, I've seen this countless times on FB now. Getting old. They're too horribly photoshopped for me to personally take them seriously.

Ahh, I didn't know... don't use FB, thanks.

You know what Boo, we might agree! The ideal size of body frames based on ethnic differences makes sense, except that the Italian ideal is slender too.

I wonder what do women like about themselves? Or about other women? I like the hourglass shape/the more classic looks.

Any LGBT folks with comments about ideal shape, or preferences?

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2015, 6:00 am

What I don't like...is this Heroin Chic thing.

I've liked all kinds of women, with all kinds of physicality, in my life. I'm fascinated by the anatomical variations in women.

I'm a subscriber to the combination of the Victorian Ideal and the Gibson Girl ideal.

The former was curvaceous, sensuous, with hair flowing freely.

The latter was tall, angular, head held high. They knew they were just about to dispense with the corset.

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2015, 6:27 am

Quite symbolic eras to admire Kraftie!

StaticWorld
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Sep 2015, 5:29 pm

According to this I would be pretty if I lived in Colombia and Spain.
Though it's a little bit unproportional because in these pictures the women are - compared to the other pictures - "fat" so their belly should be taller. Or am I wrong with that assumption?

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2015, 11:20 pm

Anything photo-shopped is going to look unnatural, because it IS unnatural.

Even hundreds of years ago, painters did their own version of photo-shopping. Models weren't always portrayed accurately in paintings, they were portrayed according to the ideals of the era, of the patron and/or of the artist.

The main difference is that modern images used in magazines, advertising, etc. are seen more frequently than a painting would have been seen in, say, 1650.

goofygoobers
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2015, 11:55 pm

I think this should have been researched a lot better. The pictures don't look all that great either.

My body type is sort of hourglass/pear, where my shoulders are proportional to my hips, but my chest is smaller than my hips. I also have a kind of small waist (usually around 29-31 inches, while my chest is about 35 inches and my hips about 38-39 inches I think. I haven't measured in a while.), so finding clothes that fit my body isn't easy, especially with dresses. Not every woman has huge breasts, but not every smaller chested woman is shaped like a stick. :(

Unfortunate_Aspie_
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2015, 5:50 pm

What was up with predilection to make her hair lighter? (except for some obvious differences like Egypt)
Like in the Netherlands her hair was red. I think red hair is pretty unattractive personally. definitely NOT my cup of tea. I actually (baring the face changes) like the Chinese and Italian ones best. But then again I prefer thin waif-ish sort of types as well as tall sorts of people.

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2015, 12:08 pm

I just sort of stumbled across this study, yes the photoshopping is horrendous, it is bubble gum grade information and I too am confused as to why it was purposely left with an unfinished look, but I haven't encountered an alternative study and I thought it was nice to see regular female shapes being promoted.

DoNotDisturb
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Oct 2015, 6:50 pm

All women are beautiful just the way they are. It's society that's ugly.

StaticWorld
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Oct 2015, 6:34 am

DoNotDisturb wrote:
All women are beautiful just the way they are. It's society that's ugly.

That anyway. :o