Over- and under-estimating my ability to function

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

teksla
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2015, 4:13 pm

Sometimes i feel like i am over-estimating my ability to accomplish thing, and other times i feel like i think of myself aas much more "disabled" than what i am. Like i would time after time do something that i was convinced i could handle but it would always end in the same way; a meltdown/panic attack. Whereas other times i will be convinced i will not be able to do something because of my "disability" (i put disability in "" since it is officially a disability but it makes me who i am, and i prefer to not be seen as disabled, at least right now).
Does anyone else do this?

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2015, 10:38 pm

I find it hard to estimate my abilities, yes. Mostly I play things very safe, instinctively feeling that if it can go wrong, it will go wrong, and when I can't avoid what seems like a dangerous situation, I often notice that it doesn't turn out as hard as I was expecting. But sometimes I just don't see the elephant traps until I've fallen down them.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2015, 12:41 am

I have this issue also. What makes it difficult is that people often if ask I can do something and I answer I can not know the answer until I try it. People in general are not accepting of that response.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman