Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Laymasterflex
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Aug 2015, 7:35 pm

Crazy question I know but do you think its possible. Especially if you have been through a ton of your own problems and can emphasize

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2015, 10:26 pm

An Aspie psychologist is mentioned in "Loving Mr. Spock," so I guess an autistic therapist or counsellor could exist. Much would depend on the particular Aspie's profile of traits.

I'd be interested in such a job myself, but I'd likely have to be able to take an interest in whatever problems the clients happened to want help with, without being able to pick and choose, and if I didn't happen to be interested in a particular case, I'd probably not be much help. Plus, although I think I know a lot about people, there are probably big gaps in my expertise. And my ability to fathom emotions and work out how to respond appropriately doesn't always work quickly enough in realtime. I could probably wing it without my limitations getting noticed, like I suspect many counsellors do, but I wouldn't like myself for it.

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2015, 3:48 am

I'm going to school to become a psychologist, and I'm diagnosed with HFA. I'm hoping to provide assessments and therapy for adults on the spectrum, since such supports are severely lacking. Hopefully working with others like myself will decrease my chances of encountering major social problems.

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

Jensen
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2015, 5:14 am

Tony Attwood is supporting some of his clients in becoming therapists and he claims, that HFA therapists, who are aspies themselves may turn out to be the best.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2015, 1:33 pm

Jensen wrote:
Tony Attwood is supporting some of his clients in becoming therapists and he claims, that HFA therapists, who are aspies themselves may turn out to be the best.

They'd definitely have the advantage that Aspies are the only ones who really understand autism from the inside. Good to know that a neurotypical appreciates that.

Laymasterflex
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Aug 2015, 8:21 am

bump

SpaceRanger
Butterfly
Butterfly

18 Aug 2015, 8:41 am

Laymasterflex wrote:
Crazy question I know but do you think its possible. Especially if you have been through a ton of your own problems and can emphasize

In the place I live (central Europe), one of the most famous psychiatrists has asperger syndrome. He is fully booked out, and people actually in line to get an appointment. I think asperger would be only a good therapist for people that also have asperger, because he will have a hard time to make sense of neurotypical people's emotions and could therefore treat them wrong. He will however understand a asperger patient much better in a rational way, than regular psychiatrists and psychologists, but many are now specializing with aspergers, so I guess it is getting better. Each time I go to see my psychologist and psychiatrists, I usually have to shift a few gears down, with many issues I know I cannot be helped, but I make them believe they can, we just have to adapt and sometimes make people believe that they are doing a good job at something that they aren't, because I suppose they mean well. Then again, not their fault they think different. Therefore I say yes, I am sure asperger psychologist that treats asperger patients can be a good experience.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2015, 10:27 am

I think if someone has a talent for it, then being on the spectrum shouldn't be something to hold them back.

Xenization
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2015, 1:16 pm

I think, as long as they didn't experience constant/overwhelming social communication issues, an aspie could certainly harness their analytical mind to be an excellent therapist. But it really depends on the person.

ASPickle
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

18 Aug 2015, 2:31 pm

Laymasterflex wrote:

I don't think that is too crazy of a question.

In fact, I've come to suspect that my current therapist is a closeted Aspie. When I brought this idea up to him a couple of sessions ago, he seemed to agree in general. He's definitely the most wonderful therapist I've used. So intuitive on what my problems are. He just "gets it," if you will. It makes me wish there were more people out there like him, not simply in therapist roles but in everyday roles.

I would highly recommend that we get more HFAs or Aspies in therapist roles.

Waterfalls
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2015, 3:13 pm

Therapy isn't intuitive social interaction, it's thoughtful, so if your special interest is in understanding how to help people, and that's something you focus on, certainly. IMO yes.

conundrum
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2015, 8:06 pm

Waterfalls wrote:
Therapy isn't intuitive social interaction, it's thoughtful, so if your special interest is in understanding how to help people, and that's something you focus on, certainly. IMO yes.

I've been interested in this for years.

I applied to work at my local mental-health center and had an interview last week...if I get hired, I think I may be well on my way to my next career (providing I do a good job, that is :) ).

so that the people say,
'It happened of its own accord.' -Tao Te Ching, Verse 17

BobinPgh
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Aug 2015, 8:40 pm

How would a therapist "candidate" go through a quality high school, college and graduate school to even become a therapist? I had a rough time in college, but this was back in the 80s is it different now?

When I went to college, I found out I was very poorly prepared because I had received special education and it turns out few people from my high school went to college anyway.

slave
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2015, 10:01 pm

Laymasterflex wrote:

One cannot generalize this issue.
If the individual has moderate to severe problems with TOM and empathy, then it is a no go.
There are some Aspies that would make excellent Therapists though.