How to explain Autism (or ASD) to someone...

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

JoelFan
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2015, 1:47 pm

Using simplest terms? last week I got a new math teacher whom expects the class to be finished with math by the end of the year I pulled him aside after class and told him that more then likely it would be impossible for me to do that (altho I'll try) because I have Autism and 3 other LD's to which he said "Autism what's that?" I basically said it's a developmental disorder to which he kinda had a blank look on his face to which I just told him it kinda means I process things differently I didn't say too much about the other 2 of the 3 LD's other then I'm borderline dyslexic and have dyscalculia again blank stare so how do I describe to somebody whom has no clue what Autism/ASD is or has little to no clue dyslexia & dyscalculia?

Advice please

Jensen
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2015, 3:18 pm

Dyslexia and dyscalculia are the easiest to explain: Tell him how you percieve words/figures, that he just read. I explain my own dyscalculia by referring to my experience: "I don´t have trouble following the logic, but it takes extra energy to read figures, I mix them up or read something, that isn´t there. My brain can´t handle them well, so I get confused". It usually goes in.

Autism is definitely more difficult. I´ve tried: "Autism is a sort of a social dyslexia, a difficulty in reading a social situation and knowing, what to make of it and how to respond".
If the stare is still blank, I go on with more concrete descriptions of what may happen cognitively, referring to commonly known situations.

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2015, 3:31 pm

i usually only explain it through my personal traits and difficulties, and ONLY if i need the teacher to know, not every teacher has to know. i explain it like this.

"hi, i just wanted to let you know that i have been diagnosed with Aspergers, have you heard of it? it can cause me to have a hard time working with another person but mostly i cant process information as fast as all the other kids. ill need more time on lessons and tests. i have a light/sound sensitivity, which can cause some problems when i read, the words get jumbled together. If i have a meltdown i need to go home, it doenst happen often but when the schedual changes or another student upsets me or the rules change it can trigger one."

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com

teksla
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2015, 3:35 pm

Jensen wrote:
Dyslexia and dyscalculia are the easiest to explain: Tell him how you percieve words/figures, that he just read. I explain my own dyscalculia by referring to my experience: "I don´t have trouble following the logic, but it takes extra energy to read figures, I mix them up or read something, that isn´t there. My brain can´t handle them well, so I get confused". It usually goes in.

Autism is definitely more difficult. I´ve tried: "Autism is a sort of a social dyslexia, a difficulty in reading a social situation and knowing, what to make of it and how to respond".
If the stare is still blank, I go on with more concrete descriptions of what may happen cognitively, referring to commonly known situations.

You can for example explain, it makes socializing hard for you, and that you may react differently to sounds & touch etc.
You could also show him a article on aspergers (or autism, what you feel fits you better) and (try) to explain it to him

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2015, 3:41 pm

Well Asperger's seems to affect every Aspie in different ways, so it's best to just say a couple of the symptoms that affect you the most in your life, rather than giving a generalization. I'm not even sure I have Asperger's any more, but if I want people to understand me, I just say I have an anxiety disorder. By saying that, people seem to understand me much better. When people are told I have Asperger's, they seem to be afraid to take me anywhere that might be loud. Like once I was invited to watch a carnival, and the people who I was going with knew I had Asperger's, and they were all like, ''oh, will you be all right watching a carnival? The music on the floats are loud, and they have very bright lights too.'' So I had to explain to them that ongoing loud noises are OK, it's just sudden noises that I don't like, like dogs barking, and kids screaming just annoys me. And bright lights have never bothered me anyway, in fact I like bright lights, they are beautiful and make the whole thing so magical and enjoyable to watch at night. When people know I just have an anxiety disorder, they don't assume I'll be afraid of lights, smells and noises. I can go on like a normal person, and if I do verbally express anxious feelings, then they understand, without assuming any annoying Autism stereotypes first. Well, not all people understand anxiety, but my close relatives and friends do. Most of my relatives suffer with anxiety disorders themselves, but aren't Aspies.

Xenization
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2015, 3:45 pm

Well, in terms of resources, Amythest Schaber has a great list here: http://neurowonderful.tumblr.com/autismmasterpost. Obviously, everyone's different ("if you've met one aspie, you've met one aspie), but that could be helpful.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2015, 4:07 pm

I think I'd personally find it very difficult. Depends on how much time the teacher has.

I'd probably try to first work out what traits would specifically hamper my delivery of the teacher's expectations. Then I'd find a way of putting it as clearly and simply as possible. No point in launching into a thesis on ASD and its myriad facets. If possible, I'd also be ready to suggest the kind of adjustments that would fix the problem.