Veteran

16 Aug 2015, 8:27 pm

The darkness laughs.

Ban-Dodger
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2015, 3:25 pm

Darkness is Laughing at me ! D=
I yell out into the Darkness : Where're the Cheetoooos!?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2015, 6:18 pm

The Darkness answers ...

"One thing can be said
about cheesy Cheetos

Their stain applies to
mouth, fingers and nose

That cheesy orange color
is dye I suppose

It might fade from your fingers
but stays on your clothes

So when eating a bag
of those messy Cheetos

Use caution, that stain will
spread out as it goes

In the end you'll be covered
from your head to your toes

Yet the treat was well worth it
now go get a hose!
"

("Cheetos", by David Knape. Used without permission.)

UnturnedStone
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Aug 2015, 6:46 pm

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2015, 10:35 pm

I play a Mountain, *taps Mountain*, I cast a Lightning Bolt, take 3 damage. Pass turn.

Ban-Dodger
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2016, 2:08 pm

Well, then, I sacrifice a card to add to my mana-pool, followed by laying out a trap-card. End.

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
I play a Mountain, *taps Mountain*, I cast a Lightning Bolt, take 3 damage. Pass turn.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2016, 2:14 pm

Ban-Dodger wrote:
Well, then, I sacrifice a card to add to my mana-pool, followed by laying out a trap-card. End.
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

*Taps Plains* during your turn I'll Disenchant your trap card.

Wait a second, MtG doesn't have "trap" cards. :P

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2016, 2:22 pm

No, but Yu-Gi-Oh does.

Sad thing?? I'm not a gamer. MtG got too expensive for me when our first kid was born in 2001, and I gave up on Ever having the social tolerance for D&D when 3rd Edition was "the new rules."

Haven't liked a video game since Tetris, and the only video RPG I ever got into was Battle for Mount Olympus.

But I recognize all of those. Instantly.

I married a gamer and gave birth to a small army of gamers.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2016, 3:11 pm

BuyerBeware wrote:
No, but Yu-Gi-Oh does.

Sad thing?? I'm not a gamer. MtG got too expensive for me when our first kid was born in 2001, and I gave up on Ever having the social tolerance for D&D when 3rd Edition was "the new rules."

Haven't liked a video game since Tetris, and the only video RPG I ever got into was Battle for Mount Olympus.

But I recognize all of those. Instantly.

I married a gamer and gave birth to a small army of gamers.

I knew he was referencing Yu-Gi-Oh. ;) There's a bit of a rivalry between Magic and Yu-Gi-Oh players, though there's also a fair bit of overlap as well. Personally, I grew up in a Magic household, since my dad's been playing since 1994 (it's a really big hobby for him, and I don't see him quitting any time soon), but I knew Yu-Gi-Oh was popular with my peers.

I don't really play MtG anymore myself, mostly because I don't like the competitive playstyle most people are into, and because I feel I'm too "slow" to keep up. I don't think well on my feet, I have difficulty keeping up with things and concentrating, and I also tend not to bother following information about new cards, sets, etc. That said, I still think Magic is a great game at its core, and I occasionally fire up the old 1997 PC game or the newer Magic Duels whenever I want my fix. I like how the computer games keep track of the state of the game and enforce the rules, and how much easier it is to deal with a faceless AI opponent than a real human. It just plays so much better than the physical game, and it's way cheaper too.

As for D&D, I've played it briefly a couple of times and enjoyed it, though both times were with my dad DMing using the old Advanced Dungeons & Dragons 1st Edition rules, also known as D&D 1.5. I haven't ever played with the newer rules, but having seen some of the materials, things definitely seem more complex. I've heard they've made the newer editions more "video-gamey" as well.

Tetris is awesome, and one of my favorite implementations is Bitblocks, an unofficial game on Android that copied things so well that it got pulled off the Google Play store. Luckily, it's still really easy to find the apk for it, but of course be careful where you get it if you decide to download it. Android APKs often contain malware. As for Battle for Mount Olympus, it's really hard to Google since I get a bunch of results for an animated film with a similar title. :P

My parents are both gamers, so it's only natural that I've become somewhat of a gamer as well, though I'm definitely not as big on it as I used to be.

It's not sad that you're not a gamer though, it can be an expensive, time-consuming hobby, and it can be frustrating too. Believe it or not, I often feel too lazy to play games. It's an activity that requires concious thought and well, action, and I find myself more interested in more passive pastimes nowadays.

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2016, 3:33 pm

I got the sarcasm. About 5 seconds AFTER submitting the comment. :oops:

BfMO was an ancient, and not very successful, single-player RPG for the NES. Along the lines of Zelda:Adventures of Link, but not as cool.

Sometimes I miss gaming. But-- Eh.

I never had the strategic planning capacity to play the card games with anyone over the age of 10 or 12. My hubby and I have a strategy: I teach them the format, and he plays with them once they actually learn the game.

I actually do miss D&D (if I could find anyone who even knows 2nd Ed. rules anymore). Except I had this very Aspish problem of getting too into the story, and then either getting irritable or zoning out when some group of players decided to derail it by cutting up. As I understand it, derailing the story by cutting up is somewhat more than half the fun (at least if you're a drunk male college student), thus making me the resident killjoy once our Aspie rules lawyer got mad, took his books, and went home.

So I quit.

I'm just amused at how many games I recognize, even though I haven't played since like 2003.

*Now butting out of forum where I don't EVEN belong*

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2016, 10:40 pm

BuyerBeware wrote:
I got the sarcasm. About 5 seconds AFTER submitting the comment. :oops:

BfMO was an ancient, and not very successful, single-player RPG for the NES. Along the lines of Zelda:Adventures of Link, but not as cool.

Sometimes I miss gaming. But-- Eh.

I never had the strategic planning capacity to play the card games with anyone over the age of 10 or 12. My hubby and I have a strategy: I teach them the format, and he plays with them once they actually learn the game.

I actually do miss D&D (if I could find anyone who even knows 2nd Ed. rules anymore). Except I had this very Aspish problem of getting too into the story, and then either getting irritable or zoning out when some group of players decided to derail it by cutting up. As I understand it, derailing the story by cutting up is somewhat more than half the fun (at least if you're a drunk male college student), thus making me the resident killjoy once our Aspie rules lawyer got mad, took his books, and went home.

So I quit.

I'm just amused at how many games I recognize, even though I haven't played since like 2003.

*Now butting out of forum where I don't EVEN belong*

I often wondered what would happen if you mixed Magic and Yu-Gi-Oh. You'd have to devise a system to balance things out, since monsters in YGO tend to have higher numbers than creatures in MtG. There are a number of other differences in the rules too, and all in all they are quite different despite having similar premises.

I figured that was the game you were talking about, but I wasn't 100% sure. I've been meaning to give it a try, especially since I'm a fan of Zelda II. Zelda II is actually one of my favorite games in the series, and on the NES as a whole. I honestly wish they come back to the action-RPG elements that game had some day, since I like games where you can grind for experience and gain levels.

I play games a lot less than the average person my age, despite my knowledge on the topic. It's something I grew up around and have been influenced by a lot.

Playing Magic with friends was fun when I was like 15 and my friends were like 13 and 14, but eventually as I got older and moved to a different town, the scene I became a part of was a lot different, a lot more competitive. I didn't particularly care for this.

Part of the fun of D&D, I find is the fact that it's as open-ended as it is. The rules are still nice to have in order to ensure order and smooth out the experience, but if you want to you don't have to do everything by the book. It's a system that you can build on and modify. I can sort of see how this open-endedness could frustrate someone though.

Second Edition though, I'm surprised anyone has fond memories of that. My dad says everyone hated it.

Tbh, console gaming kind of turned to crap around 2006. PC gaming is pretty good though, and much cheaper now than it was at one time. I rarely ever spend more than $10 on a Steam game, thanks to their awesome sales.

But yeah, it's kind of funny that you mentioned games of D&D getting derailed, since we've derailed this thread! :P I enjoy thread derailment.

Ban-Dodger
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2016, 11:51 pm

Actually... I was going by the format of another game... Angelic-Saga...

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
I knew he was referencing Yu-Gi-Oh. ;)

Drake
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2016, 5:44 am

Well that's surprising. Someone made a video off of an Easter egg video in Summoner.