Page 1 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Aspie202
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Aug 2015, 2:50 pm

I found this story where it says a fecal transplant can cure autism.

Here is the page ---> http://symbionticism.blogspot.com/2013/ ... -cure.html

Really? Just really? :roll: :roll:

Xenization
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2015, 4:19 pm

Yes, I think there was a post about this on "Autism Politics, Activism, and Media Representation".

Curbies, in their desperation, often suggest something like this--a treatment that can hurt or even kill people.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2015, 12:04 am

Unbelievable.

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2015, 9:24 am

It kind of makes sense with the 'gut bacteria' theory of autism. Fecal transplants are actually used to treat problems with gut bacteria - for example, having had all your gut bacteria killed by antibiotics. The feces contain the other person's gut bacteria, and if placed in your gut, those bacteria will repopulate your gut.

However, there is no real evidence that autism has anything to do with gut function. Even if digestive issues are common in autism (which I have yet to see evidence of), that doesn't mean helping the gut will affect the brain in any way whatsoever. (Just like giving open heart surgery to a child with Down Syndrome and a heart defect will not change their cognitive abilities - just help their heart function better.)

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2015, 10:12 am

Aspie202 wrote:

I don't usually jump to conclusions, but this sounds like a lot of "crap" to me... :mrgreen:
I'm still laughing about the vaccine causal link with autism...

Why do they hate us so much? <sniffle>

Aspie202
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Aug 2015, 10:15 am

Pepe wrote:
Aspie202 wrote:

I don't usually jump to conclusions, but this sounds like a lot of "crap" to me... :mrgreen:
I'm still laughing about the vaccine causal link with autism...

Why do they hate us so much? <sniffle>

I guess NT's like all people to be "normal". (Just a guess)

Xenization
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2015, 12:20 pm

Aspie202 wrote:

Yep. And they'll go to extraordinary lengths to try.

Aspie202
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Aug 2015, 12:25 pm

Xenization wrote:
Aspie202 wrote:

Yep. And they'll go to extraordinary lengths to try.

I think that NT's are jealous that kids with autism are smarter then them, and they think that is unfair, and they want to cure autism so no one can be smarter then them. But we still don't know why they want to cure autism. This is just one possibility. :huh:

cooksp53
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

20 Aug 2015, 12:26 pm

That's just gross. The first time I heard about these I thought it was a joke.

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2015, 1:04 pm

I have two lines of thought about this:
1) There is a lot of evidence for mind-gut connections that one would expect to be impacted by autism. A lot of neurotransmitters are produced in the gut microbiome, for example and changes in the gut microbiome can have neurological effects... despite the ick factor, there is a lot of solid research on this. There is good information on the gut microbiome from the American Society for Microbiology: http://academy.asm.org/index.php/faq-se ... microbiome

2)Random experiments of the kind reported in the comments on the link in the OP are potentially quite dangerous because recent research has shown that there are a number of very different relatively stable mixes of organisms in the human gut microbiome and some of these are pathological. One approach to understanding these variations in the gut microbiome has named the different mixes "enterotypes" -- http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v4 ... 09944.html
There is some evidence that the enterotype concept may unhelpfully oversimplify a very complex and dynamic balance, but there can be little doubt that some balances of organisms in the gut microbiome can have a positive effect on the human host while others can have a negative impact. Arranging to have fecal samples removed from one individual and inserted into another without being very sure about this rapidly evolving area of knowledge seems reckless.
http://www.microbeworld.org/component/j ... le&id=6467
http://www.microbeworld.org/component/j ... le&id=7386
http://www.microbeworld.org/component/j ... le&id=8609

pcuser
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2015, 3:00 pm

Xenization wrote:
Yes, I think there was a post about this on "Autism Politics, Activism, and Media Representation".

Curbies, in their desperation, often suggest something like this--a treatment that can hurt or even kill people.

I've read of this in depth in Discover magazine and there doesn't seem to be any downside. It may not work, but won't kill you as long as you use a legitimate health care facility.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2015, 8:27 pm

Adamantium wrote:
I have two lines of thought about this:
1) There is a lot of evidence for mind-gut connections that one would expect to be impacted by autism. A lot of neurotransmitters are produced in the gut microbiome, for example and changes in the gut microbiome can have neurological effects... despite the ick factor, there is a lot of solid research on this. There is good information on the gut microbiome from the American Society for Microbiology: http://academy.asm.org/index.php/faq-se ... microbiome

Does this negate the belief in mutation and hereditary transference of autism?
Or is it a supplemental theory on the existence of the neurological differences?

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2015, 9:52 pm

Ettina wrote:
It kind of makes sense with the 'gut bacteria' theory of autism. Fecal transplants are actually used to treat problems with gut bacteria - for example, having had all your gut bacteria killed by antibiotics. The feces contain the other person's gut bacteria, and if placed in your gut, those bacteria will repopulate your gut.

However, there is no real evidence that autism has anything to do with gut function. Even if digestive issues are common in autism (which I have yet to see evidence of), that doesn't mean helping the gut will affect the brain in any way whatsoever. (Just like giving open heart surgery to a child with Down Syndrome and a heart defect will not change their cognitive abilities - just help their heart function better.)

I've already posted about this. Many times over the last couple years. I haven't done a fecal transplant, but it does make sense in theory for sure. I HAVE done the most intense intestinal cleanses, medicinal diet, and mass amounts of probiotics - and the Net result has been that my symptoms are now pretty much subclinical and I'm living a second life for it - a happier, healthier, wealthier life. ASD is either caused or exacerbated by gut dysbiosis, which is most likely antibiotic induced. There's a fair bit more to it & I've shared all of that here, too.

There is real evidence of it. I am walking talking living breathing proof. Further, I've read that 90% of autistics have digestive issues - this is why; because the digestive issues CAUSE the ASD. Further to that, helping my gut HAS improved my brain functions SIGNIFICANTLY. The gut is called the second brain for a reason. More signals are sent from the gut to the brain than the brain to the gut. Based on my experience, I believe that probiotic bacteria act as neurotransmitters in the enteric nervous system. Without them, my brain doesn't function anywhere near as well. I use probiotic gel caps daily - ~30Billion CFU orally, and 5-10Billion CFU rectally as a suppository - putting the medicine directly to the source of the problem.. and it works. I am 100% absolutely dead serious.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2015, 9:57 pm

Pepe wrote:
Or is it a supplemental theory on the existence of the neurological differences?

1.) No. It may be in part a genetic predisposition combined with gut dysbiosis - which may be due to short circuiting the enteric nervous system, or a neurotoxin, or blocking probiotic bacteria from working their magic as neurotransmitters in the enteric nervous system etc. Also, you inherit your mother's digestive bacteria - so even those are inherited.

2.) Maybe, as I said above. Also, it may be that the gut dysbiosis CAUSES the neurological wiring differences via any one of the mechanisms guessed above, or some other one. Eventually science will tell us. For now, I just know that treating the gut dybiosis successfully treats the ASD symptoms and allows me to live the second life I'm living now.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2015, 2:19 am

goldfish21 wrote:
Pepe wrote:

1.) No. It may be in part a genetic predisposition combined with gut dysbiosis - which may be due to short circuiting the enteric nervous system, or a neurotoxin, or blocking probiotic bacteria from working their magic as neurotransmitters in the enteric nervous system etc. Also, you inherit your mother's digestive bacteria - so even those are inherited.

2.) Maybe, as I said above. Also, it may be that the gut dysbiosis CAUSES the neurological wiring differences via any one of the mechanisms guessed above, or some other one. Eventually science will tell us. For now, I just know that treating the gut dybiosis successfully treats the ASD symptoms and allows me to live the second life I'm living now.

I'm still having difficulty...
I was under the impression that DNA sequencing could be determined and that certain combinations were indicative of autism...
Assuming I am correct in my description, how does gut "fauna" influence genetic coding?...

Is autism a symptom...
Or a state of being?

And are we neurologically different or not?
If so, how does neuro-atypical become neuro-typical?
Difficult for me to accept, atm...

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2015, 5:21 am

Pepe wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
Pepe wrote:

I'm still having difficulty...
I was under the impression that DNA sequencing could be determined and that certain combinations were indicative of autism...
Assuming I am correct in my description, how does gut "fauna" influence genetic coding?...

Is autism a symptom...
Or a state of being?

And are we neurologically different or not?
If so, how does neuro-atypical become neuro-typical?
Difficult for me to accept, atm...

ASD could be a symptom or state of being or more likely - a combination of the two if a genetic predisposition is required for he biochemical reactions to have the ASD effect.

We ARE neurologically different - definitely in the brain, and IMO in the enteric nervous system that stretches from the mouth to the anus. Here's the brain proof: http://www.sciencealert.com/in-people-w ... dy-reveals and a bit more/different details in this article: http://arstechnica.com/science/2015/01/ ... idualized/ as for the gut, well, I KNOW that altering my gut flora alters my brain functions. Not just via probiotics, but via antibiotics as well. After a course of antibiotics last October my ASD symptoms returned fast and furious and got me into some trouble at work.. once I realized I pulled out all the stops to cleanse my intestines and boost probiotics ASAP and adjusted my treatment protocol to include probiotic suppositories daily & within a few weeks I was doing WAY better again. It may be a "different" wiring of the enteric nervous system, too, but it's definitely gut dysbiosis & a lack of specific probiotic bacterias. One article I cross posted here a year or two ago mentioned three specific gut probiotics that many Autistics are lacking.

We can never become completely NT, but I've been able to become damned close with what I've figured out how to do for myself. I've basically been able to control/shed the hinderance traits and retain positive ones. I funcion at a way higher level than ever. I can DO almost ANYTHING - all I need are the resources & the process. I could EASILY return to business, engineering, law, medicine etc school and kick some serious ass in anything I decide to pursue. I have no plans of returning to school anytime soon, though. I'm DOING instead - working hard, stacking cash, investing, working on future business plans etc.

I can never rewire my brain to the NT map.. and I'm OK with that/why would I want to? Mine is now serving me very well vs. frustrating me to no end.