Page 1 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2015, 5:21 am

Pepe wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
Pepe wrote:
Does this negate the belief in mutation and hereditary transference of autism?
Or is it a supplemental theory on the existence of the neurological differences?

1.) No. It may be in part a genetic predisposition combined with gut dysbiosis - which may be due to short circuiting the enteric nervous system, or a neurotoxin, or blocking probiotic bacteria from working their magic as neurotransmitters in the enteric nervous system etc. Also, you inherit your mother's digestive bacteria - so even those are inherited.

2.) Maybe, as I said above. Also, it may be that the gut dysbiosis CAUSES the neurological wiring differences via any one of the mechanisms guessed above, or some other one. Eventually science will tell us. For now, I just know that treating the gut dybiosis successfully treats the ASD symptoms and allows me to live the second life I'm living now.

I'm still having difficulty...
I was under the impression that DNA sequencing could be determined and that certain combinations were indicative of autism...
Assuming I am correct in my description, how does gut "fauna" influence genetic coding?...

Is autism a symptom...
Or a state of being?

And are we neurologically different or not?
If so, how does neuro-atypical become neuro-typical?
Difficult for me to accept, atm...

ASD could be a symptom or state of being or more likely - a combination of the two if a genetic predisposition is required for he biochemical reactions to have the ASD effect.

We ARE neurologically different - definitely in the brain, and IMO in the enteric nervous system that stretches from the mouth to the anus. Here's the brain proof: http://www.sciencealert.com/in-people-w ... dy-reveals and a bit more/different details in this article: http://arstechnica.com/science/2015/01/ ... idualized/ as for the gut, well, I KNOW that altering my gut flora alters my brain functions. Not just via probiotics, but via antibiotics as well. After a course of antibiotics last October my ASD symptoms returned fast and furious and got me into some trouble at work.. once I realized I pulled out all the stops to cleanse my intestines and boost probiotics ASAP and adjusted my treatment protocol to include probiotic suppositories daily & within a few weeks I was doing WAY better again. It may be a "different" wiring of the enteric nervous system, too, but it's definitely gut dysbiosis & a lack of specific probiotic bacterias. One article I cross posted here a year or two ago mentioned three specific gut probiotics that many Autistics are lacking.

We can never become completely NT, but I've been able to become damned close with what I've figured out how to do for myself. I've basically been able to control/shed the hinderance traits and retain positive ones. I funcion at a way higher level than ever. I can DO almost ANYTHING - all I need are the resources & the process. I could EASILY return to business, engineering, law, medicine etc school and kick some serious ass in anything I decide to pursue. I have no plans of returning to school anytime soon, though. I'm DOING instead - working hard, stacking cash, investing, working on future business plans etc.

I can never rewire my brain to the NT map.. and I'm OK with that/why would I want to? Mine is now serving me very well vs. frustrating me to no end.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2015, 7:35 pm

goldfish21 wrote:

I can never rewire my brain to the NT map.. and I'm OK with that/why would I want to? Mine is now serving me very well vs. frustrating me to no end.

What symptoms are alleviated?

P.S.
I found this interesting:
"THERE have been from time to time
many discussions as to whether bacteria
belong to the animal or vegetable
kingdom. A biologist no less eminent than
Haeckel proposed to create a new classification
and make these low forms of life
into a new division, to be termed Protista."
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/article ... 64/?page=1

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2015, 5:22 am

Pepe wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:

Pretty well all of the negative ones.

Anxiety, nervousness, poor fine motor skills, blank facial expressions, taking things too literally, being "clueless" & causing being unintentionally offensive.. I'm just much more socially "in tune" vs. socially ret*d. And a gazillion other little things - pretty well all of the negative/annoying traits of AS as described by Tony Attwood in The Complete Guide to Asperger's Syndrome. Basically, I can function like a normal human being in life and at work w/o having to intellectually process everything and getting burnt out. Everything is just.. intuitive - as it is for NT's, because doing this literally gets my brain functioning at it's highest level.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2015, 7:38 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
Pepe wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:

Anxiety, nervousness, poor fine motor skills, blank facial expressions, taking things too literally, being "clueless" & causing being unintentionally offensive.. I'm just much more socially "in tune" vs. socially ret*d. And a gazillion other little things - pretty well all of the negative/annoying traits of AS as described by Tony Attwood in The Complete Guide to Asperger's Syndrome. Basically, I can function like a normal human being in life and at work w/o having to intellectually process everything and getting burnt out. Everything is just.. intuitive - as it is for NT's, because doing this literally gets my brain functioning at it's highest level.

I am determined to be impartial with a vengeance...
I am not seeking to discredit your belief...
I simply still have difficulty with the concept...

We on the spectrum lack something called "Theory of mind..."~
This deficit is one of the major reasons why we have difficulty with intuition/empathy/communication...
I can't see how gut flora/fauna remedies this situation...
I am no expert on the subject, so if I have gone off the rails, could someone correct me...

~"Theory of Mind is the branch of cognitive science that investigates how we ascribe mental states to other persons and how we use the states to explain and predict the actions of those other persons. "
http://www.iep.utm.edu/theomind/

BrainPower101
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Aug 2015, 11:25 pm

Autism is one of the most complicated neurological conditions I have ever seen within the last 3 years of my biological studies.

There are so many different correlations that contribute to its complexity.. The gut bacteria theory is not a very new one, but seems to have improved symptoms in some with metabolic issues, but then again many w/o the issue can still be autistic and have healthy digestive tract.

Crazyfool
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Aug 2015, 11:34 pm

And I've been slamming a gallon of fresh piss every morning...I knew I was doing something wrong. On to treatment plan No. 2

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2015, 12:05 am

Nts are very eager to give us the stuff they think we're made of.

DailyPoutine1
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2015, 12:08 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
Nts are very eager to give us the stuff they think we're made of.

Yeah, this is ironic. The ones who think that are the ones made of s**t!

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2015, 2:10 am

Pepe wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
Pepe wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:

I am determined to be impartial with a vengeance...
I am not seeking to discredit your belief...
I simply still have difficulty with the concept...

We on the spectrum lack something called "Theory of mind..."~
This deficit is one of the major reasons why we have difficulty with intuition/empathy/communication...
I can't see how gut flora/fauna remedies this situation...
I am no expert on the subject, so if I have gone off the rails, could someone correct me...

~"Theory of Mind is the branch of cognitive science that investigates how we ascribe mental states to other persons and how we use the states to explain and predict the actions of those other persons. "
http://www.iep.utm.edu/theomind/

I am the only person on the planet who has done exactly what I've done, but I am far from the only one who has realized the connection between probiotics and Autism. There have been several articles out over the last couple of years re: the connection between gut dybiosis and Autism.

Also, there's an episode of The Nature of Things w/ David Suzuki (Documentary series) called "The Autism Enigma." Go find it and watch it. The link I watched it at can only be viewed from IP addresses within Canada. There are a couple different Autistic kids and their parents featured who had success treating symptoms via diet & also via probiotics - but they still haven't done exactly what I have. Anyways, there's a mother in the video who talks about giving her son mass amounts of probiotics to treat his symptoms as well as a particular gut bacteria she believes may produce some sort of neurotoxin. Everything about the hour long episode makes complete sense to me because I've lived it & then some.

pcuser
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2015, 1:11 pm

I just started reading an article in Discover magazine about the gut biome. They are studying it using DNA sequencing technologies. They have found that people in the industrial countries have changed their biomes dramatically from the change in our diets. Ancient biomes didn't change with the agricultural revolution. They only changed with the industrial revolution.Those peoples closer to their traditional diets without industrialization have a biome similar to the ancient ones. I haven't finished it yet, but it seems they are heading to the point of view that some or many of the so-called modern diseases we have might be associated with it. When I finish it, I'll update this with another post.

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2015, 8:03 am

Pepe wrote:
Adamantium wrote:
I have two lines of thought about this:
1) There is a lot of evidence for mind-gut connections that one would expect to be impacted by autism. A lot of neurotransmitters are produced in the gut microbiome, for example and changes in the gut microbiome can have neurological effects... despite the ick factor, there is a lot of solid research on this. There is good information on the gut microbiome from the American Society for Microbiology: http://academy.asm.org/index.php/faq-se ... microbiome

Or is it a supplemental theory on the existence of the neurological differences?

Neither. It has been observed that changes in the gut microbiome have an influence on neurological conditions. The available evidence indicates that there are strong gut-brian interactions, just as there are significant heart-brain interactions, and lung-brain interactions. The nature of the gut-brain system is a subject of active research and the idea of the significant interactions that do exist are unfamiliar to many people, hence the incredulity in a thread like this.

This says precisely nothing about autism.

It is an indicator that this will likely be in interesting area to watch as the complex set of traits that produce autism almost certainly mean there will be many interesting aspects of the gut-brain interaction in people with ASDs.

This is not a supplemental theory of autism, nor is does its negate research into the genetics and epigenetics of autism. Research into the gut microbiome's interactions with the brain does extend knowledge about brain epigenetics:
http://www.scientificamerican.com/artic ... ce-of-gut/

Anyone who thinks that this can somehow be a "cure" doesn't really understand what they are talking about.

It may be that some changes in the gut microbiome of some individuals with ASD result in a beneficial impact on symptoms-there are anecdotes such as Goldfish's personal account, that may indicate something of this kind. There are also anecdotes from people who have experimented with this kind of therapy and had no result whatsoever. This should not be surprising, given that thousands of genes are implicated in the development of autism and there are almost certainly multiple developmental pathways that result in autism.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2015, 7:55 pm

Adamantium wrote:
Pepe wrote:
Adamantium wrote:
I have two lines of thought about this:
1) There is a lot of evidence for mind-gut connections that one would expect to be impacted by autism. A lot of neurotransmitters are produced in the gut microbiome, for example and changes in the gut microbiome can have neurological effects... despite the ick factor, there is a lot of solid research on this. There is good information on the gut microbiome from the American Society for Microbiology: http://academy.asm.org/index.php/faq-se ... microbiome

Neither. It has been observed that changes in the gut microbiome have an influence on neurological conditions. The available evidence indicates that there are strong gut-brian interactions, just as there are significant heart-brain interactions, and lung-brain interactions. The nature of the gut-brain system is a subject of active research and the idea of the significant interactions that do exist are unfamiliar to many people, hence the incredulity in a thread like this.

This says precisely nothing about autism.

It is an indicator that this will likely be in interesting area to watch as the complex set of traits that produce autism almost certainly mean there will be many interesting aspects of the gut-brain interaction in people with ASDs.

This is not a supplemental theory of autism, nor is does its negate research into the genetics and epigenetics of autism. Research into the gut microbiome's interactions with the brain does extend knowledge about brain epigenetics:
http://www.scientificamerican.com/artic ... ce-of-gut/

Anyone who thinks that this can somehow be a "cure" doesn't really understand what they are talking about.

It may be that some changes in the gut microbiome of some individuals with ASD result in a beneficial impact on symptoms-there are anecdotes such as Goldfish's personal account, that may indicate something of this kind. There are also anecdotes from people who have experimented with this kind of therapy and had no result whatsoever. This should not be surprising, given that thousands of genes are implicated in the development of autism and there are almost certainly multiple developmental pathways that result in autism.

Thank you...

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2015, 9:31 am

Adamantium wrote:

It's not a cure. It's an effective treatment. I know exactly what I'm talking about because I live it every single day of my second life that I'm living because if it right now.

I still have ASD traits, but mostly positive vs. hinderances, and mostly very minimal subclinical level magnitude. If I don't point out the traits I still have, people wouldn't notice/realize AT ALL. They'd just assume I'm some smart guy with a good memory & vocabulary.

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2015, 9:54 am

goldfish21 wrote:
Adamantium wrote:

It's not a cure. It's an effective treatment. I know exactly what I'm talking about because I live it every single day of my second life that I'm living because if it right now.

I still have ASD traits, but mostly positive vs. hinderances, and mostly very minimal subclinical level magnitude. If I don't point out the traits I still have, people wouldn't notice/realize AT ALL. They'd just assume I'm some smart guy with a good memory & vocabulary.

Two points:

1. I was talking about the fecal transplant that is the subject of the OP and the reality that some are having a hard time accepting that the gut microbiome has a significant neurological impact, not your therapy. If your therapy included a fecal transplant to alter the microbiota in your gut microbiome, I missed that part.

2. Your particular course of supplements and cleanses was a somewhat effective therapy for you. That's great, but it doesn't mean it will be effective for others. It doesn't mean it won't, but you can't rationally infer all sorts of benefits for others on the basis of what you have shared here.

The link above to a discussion of the fecal transplant included a number of comments by people claiming to be parents who have already tried this therapy on their children and had no beneficial result. This doesn't mean it won't work for anyone or say anything about the number of people it might work for.

The available evidence strongly suggests that there are many pathways to autism. Given this, it may be that there will be many specifically tailored therapies suitable to individuals, rather than one or two universally effective therapies for autism.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2015, 6:55 pm

Adamantium wrote:

Quote:

Two points:

1. I was talking about the fecal transplant that is the subject of the OP and the reality that some are having a hard time accepting that the gut microbiome has a significant neurological impact, not your therapy. If your therapy included a fecal transplant to alter the microbiota in your gut microbiome, I missed that part.

2. Your particular course of supplements and cleanses was a somewhat effective therapy for you. That's great, but it doesn't mean it will be effective for others. It doesn't mean it won't, but you can't rationally infer all sorts of benefits for others on the basis of what you have shared here.

The link above to a discussion of the fecal transplant included a number of comments by people claiming to be parents who have already tried this therapy on their children and had no beneficial result. This doesn't mean it won't work for anyone or say anything about the number of people it might work for.

The available evidence strongly suggests that there are many pathways to autism. Given this, it may be that there will be many specifically tailored therapies suitable to individuals, rather than one or two universally effective therapies for autism.

Is it reasonable to say, that based on what we have discussed here, there is a consensus *belief* that fecal transplant is not a *cure*, but may be a treatment for some of the associated negative traits of autism for some individuals?

And that brings something to mind...
Would this "treatment" affect positive autistic traits?
Intensive focus and attention to detail, for example...
Yes there are some, if not many positive things about being on the AS... :mrgreen:

And that brings something else to mind...
Will we gain wonderful neurotypical traits such as a desire to join gangs, (over?) indulge in elicit drugs, lie as a lifestyle, lack a social conscience, no longer have an intense sense of justice, realise the stupidity of embracing objectivity, engage and engorge ourselves in an orgy of mob/reptilian mentality/emotionalism?

Would this treatment lessen our individuality?
Our perspective on life?
Would we have to redevelop our entire philosophical network?

EEK!
Scary stuff when I have a closer, detailed and focused look at the implications...

Nope...
On second thought, count me out...
No neurotypical shite for me, thank you very much!! !... :P :mrgreen:

Yes, Goldfish...I haven't missed your point that:"I still have ASD traits, but mostly positive vs. hinderances,"
I was simply using autistic, I mean artistic license to make a point and a japes... :mrgreen:

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2015, 8:44 pm

Pepe wrote:
Is it reasonable to say, that based on what we have discussed here, there is a consensus *belief* that fecal transplant is not a *cure*, but may be a treatment for some of the associated negative traits of autism for some individuals?

As long as you don't over-interpret "may be" to mean "there is"--there is no consensus on fecal microbiota transplantation as a therapy for any symptom of autism.

The only consensus about Fecal Microbiota Transplantation is that it's often a good treatment for infection with Clostridium Difficile:
http://www.mayoclinic.org/medical-profe ... -cure-rate

There is no consensus about this treatment being therapeutically useful for autism, though there is some interest in this.

No one but hucksters and the very, very enthusiastic believe it could be some sort of general treatment and there is good evidence that in many cases it would have no impact whatsoever. You need not fear being transformed into someone else through this procedure, in fact it's highly unlikely that this therapy would be suggested unless you happen to get the relatively common C. Difficile infection.

The link in the OP contains this comment:
Quote:
:x I have performed FBT on my 4 year old autistic son and sadly have seen zero change in him as though it had not being done!

You might be interested in this Australian radio podcast on the brain-gut connection:
http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/pro ... in/6689202

And do note the bit at the end of the interview:
Quote:
Lynne Malcolm: So do you think that you are at risk of overstating the brain-gut connection and the effectiveness of probiotics and supplements as treatment? Because many of the disorders and conditions you talk about are very serious, and if the treatment is ineffective or inappropriate it can have significant impact on people's lives.

David Perlmutter: I don't think I'm overstating. There is not a robust level of research indicating the effectiveness of, for example, probiotics. But I think the exciting part for me as a clinician, as an individual dealing with patients all the time, and that is that I think the door is open to a whole new area that we never conceptualised before. Now I think I can at least say that I for one as a brain specialist am very hopeful that there are new opportunities to treat patients, but I think that it needs to be done in a very measured, careful, safe way. We always want to operate under the dictum of 'above all, do no harm'. So I think your point is very well taken.

Lynne Malcolm: There has also been some criticism that there are products…and I think you are involved in some of the companies that produce the probiotics and the supplements you prescribe…is there a conflict of interest there?

David Perlmutter: Clearly there could be. There is a company that I'm working for here in America that I'm helping, I'm serving on their scientific board, creating these products based upon peer-reviewed science. So could there be a perceived conflict of interest? Absolutely there could be. People will perceive whatever they want. But I have never prescribed any of these specific products to a patient.