Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

boredome
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2015, 4:56 pm

i hate small talk too.

i never know what to say to all of these inane questions that they ask.

"so what have you been doing lately??" i don't know, the exact same things that i've been doing for the past year??

"what are you doing to celebrate <holiday/special occasion>?" staying at home and doing nothing.

the other half of the conversation is as bad, i don't give two s**ts about whatever's happening in their life and i'm not good at pretending that i care. and i usually have no idea about whatever current events or sports or other thing they're interested in, so it's not as though we can discuss that.

thankfully i don't usually have to participate in these kinds of conversations.

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2015, 5:27 pm

I've always viewed small talk as equivalent to when two dogs first meet each other and sniff each other's butt...completely unappealing to me.

Rudin
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2015, 9:13 pm

NTs aren't boring. They can be just as exciting as any autistic person. That is one of the few things I disliked about the autism community. The constant stereotyping on NTs. I find it very hypocritical, I think we all hate NTs stereotyping us, so why do we stereotype NTs?

Anyway. I don't like small talk either. I find it nonsensical. Sometimes someone will be saying something to me and I'll say "good" because I have come to expect pointless small talk. People have a expected result for small talk, like a function a 1 to 1 correspondence.

How are you? ----> Good (usually)
What's up? ----> Not much or the sky :)

I sometimes I'll say "what's up?" but if they actually say something other than not much or the sky, I'll tell them I not interesting. I honestly don't care, I just say it as a social icebreaker.

-Paul Erdos

"There are two types of cryptography in this world: cryptography that will stop your kid sister from looking at your files, and cryptography that will stop major governments from reading your files."

-Bruce Schneider

Rudin
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2015, 9:17 pm

Aristophanes wrote:
I've always viewed small talk as equivalent to when two dogs first meet each other and sniff each other's butt...completely unappealing to me.

Haha. That's a good analogy.

-Paul Erdos

"There are two types of cryptography in this world: cryptography that will stop your kid sister from looking at your files, and cryptography that will stop major governments from reading your files."

-Bruce Schneider

Drawyer
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2015, 10:26 pm

It's true, many times small talk is for pointless, useless rambling. But I would need it for many reasons
For one example,
I would need to small talk to get to know my crushes better. There's no book about them or about their surroundings, but I could still study them via small talk, and I could let them study me via small talk which may be used as sort of handy self-propaganda as well. Their routines, their plans, their friends, their weather, the price of beef for their dinner, even the person passing by them…etc. are all their surroundings which form their day and night. I would be eager to know about those somewhat personal things. How could I get them if there is no small talk?