How do you react to being punished/were punished?

Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

sweeToxic
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

21 Aug 2015, 12:39 pm

In other words, how do you react to punishment? How did you react to it as a child? Does it differ from how you react to it now compared to when you were younger?

I have a hard time with being yelled at myself. My mom told me when I was younger that she tried everything she could. She would put me in time out, and I'd return to what I was doing without understanding the consequences for example. She could scream at me, spank me back then, and I guess I ended being unresponsive.

Now, I still have a difficult being punished. Grounding me doesn't work because if they take something away, it causes a meltdown due to my strict routine and resistance to change. I don't like being yelled at because it hurts my ears and causes me to scream back at my parents. Even if they are yelling at each other, I get very agitated by it.

I posted it here because it seems we react differently to being punished than normal NT children or whatever do.

Aspie202
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Aug 2015, 12:50 pm

I usually don't take it very well.

glebel
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2015, 12:54 pm

I just withdraw more into myself, so it doesn't make much impression on me.

RhodyStruggle
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2015, 1:27 pm

I must have been six or seven years old when I came to the conclusion that enduring punishment is simply the market price of doing whatever I want to do, and that arbitrage opportunity was abundant. Or in other words, being punished for "misbehavior" only encouraged me to "misbehave" further.

A burden discerned in the blood you taste

Xenization
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2015, 1:55 pm

I argue with the authority punishing me, just as I have my entire life.

It does more harm than good.

Feyokien
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2015, 2:49 pm

glebel wrote:

Basically what I did when I was a kid to, withdrew

No Arab loves the desert. We love water and green trees, there is nothing in the desert. No man needs nothing.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2015, 2:52 pm

It's a bit odd.

I feel as though all my life I have been being punished for one thing or another.

I can't do right for doing wrong.

However, I couldn't really give two shiny shites.

I just carry on as normal.

Woof Woof! Cheep Cheep!

boredome
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2015, 4:34 pm

being in trouble with my parents has always terrified me, it's probably one of the only things on earth that can elicit so strong of a fear from me. i don't know why.

despite this fear it doesn't usually prevent me from doing the same things that got me in trouble all over again. punishment itself is only a mild irritation that i have to find a workaround to in order to continue on with whatever i was doing.

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2015, 5:33 pm

glebel wrote:

I do that too. That being said, if someone is punishing you they have power over you and ignoring that power by withdrawal can entice them to dole out even more punishment since you aren't responding in the appropriate manner to their power.

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2015, 7:59 pm

I become very vindictive, and make it my mission to exact revenge, or at least permanently dislike the party involved.

Your neurodiverse score: 150 of 200
Your neurotypical score: 51 of 200

officially diagnosed with Asperger's as of 09/11/15

Reassessed 04/11/16
DSM-V: ASD level 2 with Social Communication Severity: level 2, Restrictive Repetitve Behaviour: level 2

ADOS-2 classification: Autism

Rudin
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2015, 9:00 pm

He just made/makes he angry or occasionally want to keep doing the very thing I got punished for.

-Paul Erdos

"There are two types of cryptography in this world: cryptography that will stop your kid sister from looking at your files, and cryptography that will stop major governments from reading your files."

-Bruce Schneider

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2015, 9:23 pm

Like any other kid really, if I was sent to my room I would scream and cry for 5 minutes and tell my dad I was never going back downstairs and then I would get hungry and go downstairs.

I remember once i invited my best friend Rachel over, we were friends since grade 1. my dad suggested that we go to Rachel's house instead and I declined because I liked my comfort zone, he then forced me to go over and I had a full meltdown and starts banging my head on walls. It was only when something would be changed that I had a real meltdown but when I was sent to my room, I would either throw a tantrum ( which I learned from my dramatic sister) or I would turn my tv on and watch a movie. After a while being sent to my room didn't work, I would just enjoy it.

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 170 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 43 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2015, 9:26 pm

I tend to see myself as morally outside the law, though I'm bound by my own standards of behaviour that render my conduct pretty harmless, in fact there are many perfectly legal behaviours I consider too rotten for me to indulge in, so in practice I'm very unlikely to break any serious laws, at least as the law currently stands. I would see any attempt at punishing me as much the same thing as an attack of any other kind, i.e. out of line, though I appreciate that it's important to be practical about such things, so I'd be unlikely to hurl abuse at the police or the judiciary if such a thing occurred, because I'd only be making things worse for myself.

If I were to really screw up and do serious harm, and get punished for it, I'd probably see it as pointless retribution, because I'd already have realised I'd done wrong, and would want to put things right in my own way, which I think would be a better way than undergoing the kind of punishments the law usually hands out to offenders.

olympiadis
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2015, 10:59 pm

Often would shut down.
Punishments generally were not effective at all.
There's a couple of logical reasons behind this.
The first is because it's a type of mind control based on the conceptual world of the hive-mind, and so is not real.
The second is because there's really little difference between praise and punishment because I don't really get the normal chemical reward in my brain for doing something socially acceptable.

Myriad
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Aug 2015, 11:17 pm

Being scolded or punished as a child often made my self-image plummet. I'd generalise the situation and believe I was just an overall 'bad' person who deserved to be punished anyway. I've learned to overcome that kind of thinking for the most part, but I am still very sensitive and avoid doing things that will get me into trouble.

AQ: 39 / 50