Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Soomander
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

21 Aug 2015, 1:00 pm

First off I'd like to state this is more of a question to those who ARE verbal. In times where I am being confronted for something(During summer school I was sitting on the school steps and a staff member asked me what I was doing and probably thought I was under the influence of narcotics because I wasn't looking at him, couldn't speak, and froze up) and I found the situation extremely uncomfortable and couldn't speak. It felt as if I was stuck in my mind and my anxiety took over. Was hoping for clarification on what this was. Quiet meltdown?

starfox
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2015, 1:02 pm

Seems like a shutdown to me

Destruction and creation are 2 sides of the same coin.

Soomander
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

21 Aug 2015, 1:04 pm

starfox wrote:
Seems like a shutdown to me

Never heard of this before. Thanks for the name I'll be sure to consult Google.

Xenization
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2015, 2:41 pm

Yep, I think this is an autistic shutdown. Amethyst Schaber, an autie/aspie advocate, made a nice video about this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WIiL8vBjq0.

Britte
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2015, 3:04 pm

Xenization wrote:
Yep, I think this is an autistic shutdown. Amethyst Schaber, an autie/aspie advocate, made a nice video about this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WIiL8vBjq0.

Xen (I like your name). I like Amethyst Shaber and her videos, very much. I have 'shutdown' in response to particular stimuli (including interactions similar to the one described in the original post), throughout my entire life (although, not often). I rarely experience meltdowns, although, sometimes a shutdown can feel like an inward meltdown to me. The differences are (in my case), my mind goes numb/blank and I become completely nonverbal and this can last for several hours.

glebel
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2015, 4:31 pm

Yeah, I sometimes shutdown and just walk off. This kind of disturbs the NTs, but the strange thing is, with me I don't know what triggers this. :?