Autistic Spectrum Disorder VS Autistic Spectrum Condition?

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

eleventhirtytwo
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Aug 2015, 11:36 am

Hi,

I recently noticed a charity using the term ASC instead of ASD.

What are people's thoughts on this? I generally like the idea, but worry that by using different language we could make our views harder to find when the more widely used term is ASD.

Regards,

11:32.

22, entrepreneurial and diagnosed with High Functioning Autism, ADHD, OCD and Tourettes. Also have problems with Anxiety, and more recently depression, although I seem to returning to my optimistic self =)

Xenization
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2015, 3:58 pm

I think this is a step in the right direction.

Even though it's not the widely-used term, "ASC" is more positive than "ASD", and even if it causes some confusion, I feel like it's worth it.

glebel
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2015, 5:08 pm

It's only using a different word. Means nothing, changes nothing. Why bother?

eleventhirtytwo
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Aug 2015, 7:03 pm

glebel wrote:
It's only using a different word. Means nothing, changes nothing. Why bother?

It would remove the stigma attached to the word disorder from being directed at us while more accurately showing that it is a condition of being rather than a disease. That's not changing nothing, as perceptions affect actions.

22, entrepreneurial and diagnosed with High Functioning Autism, ADHD, OCD and Tourettes. Also have problems with Anxiety, and more recently depression, although I seem to returning to my optimistic self =)

ASPickle
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

24 Aug 2015, 12:30 pm

For me, Condition and Disorder are two ways of saying the same thing. They both imply there is something innately wrong with us. It sounds more medical with Condition, which is counterproductive for what the name change is aiming to do [to reduce stigma]. As such, Condition isn't an improvement over Disorder.

I much prefer just saying Autistic, or On the Autism Spectrum.

RhodyStruggle
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2015, 4:13 pm

Personally I don't have an issue with the term 'disorder' as the negative connotation of that term is strictly a result of the Aneristic Illusion, under which I do not suffer. But 'condition' will be generally interpreted as a more neutral term than 'disorder,' so I'm in favor of this change I suppose.

A burden discerned in the blood you taste

tetris
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2015, 6:54 am

I think condition sounds worse than disorder.

eleventhirtytwo
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

25 Aug 2015, 7:51 am

I've since heard that there are people who think that we should drop the "spectrum [word]" thing and just call it "Autism". That is also a compelling idea...?

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2015, 9:34 am

eleventhirtytwo wrote:
I've since heard that there are people who think that we should drop the "spectrum [word]" thing and just call it "Autism". That is also a compelling idea...?

There is so much confusion and misunderstanding about how autism presents in widely varying ways in intensities."Spectrum" is at least a way if an imperfect one of teaching this concept.

AS far as "disorder" vs "condition" since Autism is both gifts and impairments "condition" is the less inaccurate of the two descriptions.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman