Why do we have desires/dreams that can't be fulfilled?

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

ValhallaX
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

23 Aug 2015, 2:24 am

I was very mature for my age, and as far back as I can remember (1st grade, 1990) I knew how I wanted my life to be when I grew up. I knew who I wanted to be and what I wanted to do. I would dream of it pretty much everyday. I had high expectations that my dreams would come true. I'm 30 years old now and my life isn't what I dreamed of all those years to be, not even 1% of what I dreamed of. I have reached a point where those dreams can no longer be fulfilled. Those days are gone. My career and personal life is set. The universe will not be able to change the course. I would have to die and be born again to accomplish my dreams.

It's not like that I didn't try. I tried as hard as I could to accomplish my dreams. I've done things that even NTs wouldn't be able to do. Also my dreams were possible (they were not pipe dreams). I know people who are living the life that I wanted to. There are hundreds of thousands of people living that life today. As I got closer to my late 20s I had to give up. I had been spinning my wheels for 10+ years and not getting anywhere. It was taking a toll on my self-esteem and well being. I was severely depressed every other day.

So I am wondering, with all my will power and effort I was not able to move an inch closer to my dreams, why did I have the desires in the first place. It seems like a sick joke that the universe is playing. If I'm not meant to live a life like that why did I have the desire in the first place? I had those dreams for 20 years, so it was something I really wanted. Now that in this lifetime my dreams will not be accomplished, I'm already waiting in anticipation of my next life in hopes that I will be who I wanted to be in this life. But on the other hand I think it wouldn't be the same if my dreams from this life were to be accomplished in another life. It wouldn't be the same time period and it wouldn't be the same people. So in conclusion, why do we have dreams that cannot be fulfilled?

NOTE: I didn't want to state what my dreams were because it would be too much put down into words. Some things are too personal to post and also it would require a lot of details. But I assure you my dreams were NOT to be a murderer or rapist. Accomplishing my dreams would do no harm to others. Secondly, I'm just posting this to put it out there. Maybe you guys have some thoughts on this, but I'm also posing this question to God/universe/angels/whatever-supernatural-being.

Grebels
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2015, 5:52 am

I wanted to own an art gallery, but couldn't get close. I can paint, but don't have the social skills to present myself well enough. That is a major obstacle to success. I have tried doing things and put in the determination and effort. I have been able to excel in some, but not gain acceptance. In my old age I have been able to accept it is not the the achievements of so called success which matter so much as what we did and were an the journey.

Grebels
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2015, 6:25 am

I didn't answer the question. I was always a dreamer. I suppose this is a thing about introverts. I think the extroverts have more of the get up and go about them and the social skills. They can succeed with less ability.

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2015, 9:17 am

Would you rather have no drive or desires?

Grebels
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2015, 10:09 am

With drives and desires I was happy because I was up and doing things. I am happy enough now and musn't expect too much of myself. I'd still like to have one art show of my own with better work than previously shown. I used to have tremendous confidence, but now I'm not sure I will have the energy to achieve.

glebel
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2015, 10:19 am

I think that everybody has dreams and desires that go unfulfilled. This makes us strive to improve ourselves and at least our immediate environment. I am personally thankful that I have achieved what I have, which frankly, isn't much. But, this doesn't mean that I am going to quit, and I don't think anybody is doing themselves a service by doing so. We should be thankful for what we have and still keep moving forward. :)

MarketAndChurch
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2015, 9:13 pm

ValhallaX wrote:
So I am wondering, with all my will power and effort I was not able to move an inch closer to my dreams, why did I have the desires in the first place. It seems like a sick joke that the universe is playing. If I'm not meant to live a life like that why did I have the desire in the first place? I had those dreams for 20 years, so it was something I really wanted. Now that in this lifetime my dreams will not be accomplished, I'm already waiting in anticipation of my next life in hopes that I will be who I wanted to be in this life. But on the other hand I think it wouldn't be the same if my dreams from this life were to be accomplished in another life. It wouldn't be the same time period and it wouldn't be the same people. So in conclusion, why do we have dreams that cannot be fulfilled?

Very often, you're not the first, or the only one to dream that dream. I think the dream calls many, because realistically, only few will answer(due to ability, life, other competing dreams), but at least then it increases it's chance of survival. It's sort of viral that way, in the way it infects our conscience and funnels our focus and passion. You're just the most recent host you know of. If it survives by your bringing it to life, or inspiring others to carry on the hope, then the dream lives, and if it only lives on inside your mind, then the version it was seeking to become through you will die when you turn away from it, or stay in vain as you take it with you to the grave. Even if you bring it to life, its expression through you will still be different from how it comes to life through someone else's mind. In the end, it just wants to know how to escape the theoretical and enter the physical world, but with a twist that only you can provide. It's death, obviously, isn't permanent, some strain cultured in the times with which it lives will infect a new host, but maybe that's why it comes to those that it does. Because it feels that you see things which others do not, and finds the fresh perspective attractive. If dreams have a dream-giver, dream-assigner, or dream-creator, they might be interested in your input.

So maybe it has a life of its own, one that you need to nurture, and to make a physical reality, or bring converts to. If the dream brings you grief, you may also want to let it die, because in this short life, it isn't worth it, and will only increase the intensity of your sorrow the further the reality you live moves away from the one you wanted to create. But if you decide to go this route, please, I beg you, do mourn it like the loss of a real human being. The death of a dream that you decided to end, on your terms, is like letting go of a child, an intimate member of your life. I wish you well.

blauSamstag
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2015, 9:22 pm

Why do we want?

glebel
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2015, 12:19 pm

blauSamstag wrote:
Why do we want?

Because we have needs that have to be filled. The only problem with this is getting greedy and wanting either too much, or worse, other peoples stuff.

ValhallaX
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

04 Sep 2015, 12:20 am

Thank you all for your replies. It was good to get different perspectives on it.