How would you feel if your son chose this?

Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

cheryll
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

24 Aug 2015, 12:06 pm

Adamantium wrote:
Ettina wrote:
If one of those kids, a decade later, turns out to be gay, they'll know they can come out and not be rejected. And if one of them happens to be trans, they could be reaping the benefit of his attitude a lot sooner, because trans issues often affect kids that age.

If your kid has to see you in a video from years ago to know that you will love and support them no matter what their sexuality and gender identity, you have bigger problems than can be fixed with a video, I think.

As for supporting others, why can't he make a personal statement about his views and not involve his kids?

I can imagine such a video being used by enemies at school in a year or two in ways neither the dad or the kid can currently imagine. As a dad, I make a point of not using my children's real names or images whenever I feel the need to talk about parenting online. It seems to me like a matter of respect. When they are older, they can make their own choices about how to represent themselves.

I agree with the sentiment, I just think it's on odd way of expressing it.

Totally agree.

Xenization
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2015, 12:08 pm

This would be completely fine with me.

Whether it's simply a pathway to imaginary play or something more, I would encourage him to continue expressing himself.

UnturnedStone
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Aug 2015, 6:44 pm

By Oldest (5) Son, likes to build, shoot things with his water pistol, draw, dress up as Spiderman.
My son also likes to play with his toy oven, he loves Tinkerbell and likes to dress up in his pink fairy costume with wings and all.

I have no problem with this, he is free to make his own choices in life on what he likes and dislikes and I would not dream of forcing him to like or dislike anything.

None of this even makes me remotely question his sexuality, he is 5... and even if it turned out he "liked" boys, it's just not an issue, I would support him regardless.

I don't even get why this is an issue...