Page 2 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2015, 1:45 pm

I can't really even take the test. The first three questions at least require picturing someone who is regularly seen, and I don't regularly see anyone.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2015, 2:11 pm

starkid wrote:
I can't really even take the test. The first three questions at least require picturing someone who is regularly seen, and I don't regularly see anyone.

I "see" people fairly regularly, but I don't look at them very much.

Kiriae
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2015, 4:17 pm

34/40 - more vivid than usual.

I can't picture people clearly (all I can come with is "mental draft" - it's like a picture in darkness, I can see shapes and some colors but it's too dim to see details) but I have relatively no problems picturing objects and environment. If I have to create a mental image in head it comes up "reasonably clear" (I focus too much on the "mental draft" so it is in front of the real pictures, sort of like a photography with the "turn into comics", or "sharpen contours" filter on) but it I am to imagine something I seen in real life, especially if I seen it many times or I seen it recently I can picture it just as clear as if it was reality. I will just have "memory photos" popping up in front of my eyes when I recall such sceneries. I can't focus on them for long because they disappear as soon as I try but they look just like thing I seen with my physical eyes. I won't be able to check details I didn't pay attention while seeing a scenery but the overall picture is vivid and I can see "zoomed mental photographies" of the scenery details I paid attention to if I want. I can bring back sounds, body feelings and taste of a specific detail/scenery if I want so its not only visual thing.
And when I am reading an interesting book I will see a "movie" in my mind and don't "see" the written letters anymore. They will turn into sounds and scenery pictures without any afford from me.

JakeASD
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2016, 3:23 am

After worrying about the limitations of both my memory and imagination, I decided to take the Aphantasia test.

I scored 16/40, which I personally perceive as being intellectually crippling. Perhaps I am using using hyperbole but to me it's like having a camera with the lens closed. The lack of imagery inside of my mind is astonishing.

JimSpark
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Mar 2016, 8:46 am

Here's what my results looked like:

This score suggests that your visual imagery is less vivid than average, but you score above the range of people lacking imagery altogether, the state termed aphantasia. Around 9% of people fall in the same range as you.

You scored 20 out of 40

It seems I visualize colors OK, but specific images are a problem. "Vague and dim" was my most common answer. I never realized I was below average at this, but it was only an eight-question test. I ought to take the unabridged version sometime.

AuroraBorealisGazer
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2016, 8:52 pm

39/40

It's so strange to think that other people can't pull up clear images in their head. I'm almost curious to experience that for a day.

For the sunset question I (mentally) scrolled through several sunsets I could recall, and it took a minute to decide which one to base my answer off of (holy crap, I just realized, I'm Pinterest 8O :lol: ). I settled on the beach one because I could hear the waves. I liked the emerging storm question for the same reason, because I could hear the distant thunder and feel/smell the air. Does anyone else get these other senses with their images?

MissAlgernon
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Mar 2016, 8:12 am

I don't need to answer the test, I've always had 5-senses incredibly vivid movies in my head, just like real life. I know I must have hyperphantasia. It's cool to learn the word for it. My neurologist finds that absolutely fascinating, and loves asking questions about it, but for me it's so normal, what's so crazy about it ? :lol: I believed I was just more imaginative than normal when I was a kid.
I really couldn't suddenly suffer from aphantasia without being driven totally crazy. I love having an inner world so much, it would be almost as horrible as blindness itself, and I can't read a book, paint and draw or do any kind of math if I can't see things in my mind.

Riik
Toucan
Toucan

07 Mar 2016, 9:29 am

I don't think I have issues with mental images in general but... when it comes to faces, behaviours and appearances of people, that's when I start to struggle. But then I'm pretty sure that's an ASD sort of thing anyway.

A life without tea is a life not worth living.
Latest Aspie Quiz: AS - 151, NT - 38 / RAADS-R: 195 / AQ: 38

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2019, 10:45 pm

starkid wrote:
Quote:
After the case was covered in the popular press, 21 people with similar symptoms contacted the authors of the original paper. But, unlike in the case of MX, the imagery impairment in those people was congenital. They were born with a blind mind's eye.

I wonder what in the world was written about this such that the subjects with the congenital form of the condition were able to recognize it. It would be like people who'd been born completely deaf recognizing the experience of hearing by reading about it; actually, it would be even more difficult than that because visual imagery is a completely internal process, whereas deaf people can at least see how others behave when they are hearing/listening. How would congenital aphantasics grasp the concept of visual imagery, having never experienced it?

Well, I KNEW that this couldn't be real because I had read scientists saying that such things weren't, etc.... So I figured my ability to see in a certain way, etc... was actually pretty good, comparatively. But I recently heard more details about what one was experiencing, and figured I would look into this here. But what happened that caused so many to ask about this in such a way was that a person that had a great and vivid imagination eventually had to quit his job, because he had used that imagination so much in his work and, after an operation, LOST IT. A lot of people apparently had similar situations.

I just tried to find a reference on that individual, and did. Maybe THIS is the article that brought it to everyone's attention:

https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... is-blind1/

There IS at least an earlier isssue in the nytimes, but it is behind a paywall

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/23/scie ... blind.html

Here is one that is free, also in 2015

https://blogs.exeter.ac.uk/exeterblog/b ... phantasia/

I never really thought so much about the ability I use, and I am thankful for it. I can get more involved with books, etc.... But it is almost like having myopia compared to normal vision I guess. It would be nice if it were better. ALSO, I don't see it in my eyes. I CAN read a book, or look at a picture, and still be doing whatever with what I can kind of see though. It seems better than aphantasia, though I doubt anyone FULLY lacks the ability to conceive things visually. But it sounds like visually it is not near as good as phantasia.

I mean you hear about some things kim peek could do, and Daniel Tammet can do, but it is genuinely recognized as above normal potential, so you don't feel as bad about not having it.