Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

lmacaroon
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

26 Aug 2015, 11:42 pm

First, I apologize if this has been covered in other threads. I'm new here.

I'm currently at a crossroads. I moved to a different state a few months ago for a fellowship, and have not yet been placed (nerve-wracking!). I have a master's degree in political science and for the past three years have been teaching intro classes at a community college; however, teaching 180 students per semester was not a good fit for me in many ways. I am in the evaluation process for ASD, and all practitioners I've consulted about diagnosis, once they meet with me, see Asperger's, plain as day. Next Monday I will take the formal tests.

I am relieved to finally have an answer for why I'm so different from most other folks, as well as a direction in which to pursue resources and help. However, I'm not really sure what I should do with my life. While I like teaching, 6 sections is too much for me to handle. Since my diagnosis is looming over the horizon, I'm looking back at the work experiences I've enjoyed and the stuff I just like to do in general, and those two essential components are not part of most of my past jobs, most of which have involved working with at-risk/disadvantaged populations, employing executive function, and being proficient in BS.

Reinventing the wheel is how I see this next step in my life--I need meaningful work that will not make me ill and also will pay the bills. I enjoy reading, writing, research, data analysis, copy editing, thinking deeply, and making large talk (the complete opposite of small talk) but I'm not sure how I can pull that all together into a livelihood that is feasible for me as I contemplate what my life will be like from here on out (or just tomorrow is good too).

Anybody have any ideas? (Before anyone suggests this, I can't afford to do a PhD right now!) Anybody in the same boat?
Thanks for your time!

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2015, 1:07 am

I know someone who works researching topics for people or companies, I am not sure about the details, but it seems like a good job.

lmacaroon
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

27 Aug 2015, 2:00 pm

Thank you for your reply! I would be interested in learning more about that sort of thing if you get more information, especially if it's the sort of thing that can be done from anywhere.

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 150 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 80 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

Carlee
Butterfly
Butterfly

27 Aug 2015, 6:11 pm

Political consulting work, maybe?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2015, 7:09 pm

I've haven't had a macaroon in years!

If you've got the fellowship, how come you're worried about being "placed?"

Doesn't that mean you already have a guaranteed stipend?