Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

02 Apr 2007, 8:16 pm

Has anyone else had hearing loss when they were young?

I had it from chronic ear infections so I had to have tubes put in my ears when I was a year and a half.

markaudette
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2007, 8:52 pm

I started having hearing loss around 1983 when this guy lit a firecracker and threw it at my right ear. It went off about a quarter of an inch from my ear. I couldn't hear anything for a week after that happened. And my hearing has never been the same since.

And then...

About 1992, I was over at a friend's house and he thought it would be a good idea to fire one of those miniature toy guns off AGAINST my left ear. My other ear! Well, it went off and I couldn't hear out of that ear for en an entire month as well.

I'm not sure if it busted the ear drums as I never had tyhem checked out. But about about 10 years ago I went to have my hearing checked out and both ears registered a marked loss of hearing in the lower noise frequencies. And I am sure in the years since that my hearing has gotten worse. I can definitely tell there is a pronounced loss of hearing now. It always seems that people are mumbling around me. And in places where there is a lot of noise interferance, it is quite impossible to make out one voice or one sound. I am always having to remind people to speak up and in a higher pitched voice than normal. Because now, most of what I can hear is in the higher pitched range of sound. Sometimes, despite my best efforts, I just can't make out what some people are saying.

So yeah, I have trouble hearing.

Last edited by markaudette on 02 Apr 2007, 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2007, 9:02 pm

I know that I have a bit of hearing loss due to long exposure to high SPL environments. Between listening to generally loud music, and mixing sound for bands, as well as close proximity to my own cranked guitar amps, I know there is a bit of loss. However I don't know how much my perception of the Fleischer-Munsen auditory curve has been distorted, as I've not been to an Audiologist since I was 14. --FWIW, I also have occaisional bouts of mild tinnitus because of this.

Sedaka
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2007, 10:03 pm

i got scuba certified @ 16.

one day while 35 ft down and doing stationary drills on a submerged platform... i felt a bang in my right ear. was weird, i'd been clearing my ears periodically for some time and hadn't changed vertical position... i don't know why my ear popped.

but for about 5-6 months afterward i felt like i had water in my ear and had trouble hearing because of it. couldn't see any water in my ear... but it really just felt like so,ething draining away when it finally disapated.

it really messed with me though. i really felt crazy.. and my balance was off.

bout it though

got free science papers?

www.pubmed.gov
www.sciencedirect.com
http://highwire.stanford.edu/lists/freeart.dtl

Ticker
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2007, 1:15 am

I had some hearing loss starting in early teens. Plus tinnitus started up about same time. In childhood I had some (minimal) noise exposure to electric guitars and drums and shotguns. In early adulthood had 3 yrs exposure to the noise of factory assembly lines. At age 35 I was prescribed hearing aids. I have mostly just high frequency hearing loss in certain ranges, plus tinnitus and hypercussis. I suspect the hearing loss is related more to genetics and/or health problems because overall my noise exposure throughout life is not considered that extreme.

If anyone has hearing loss that interferes with their lives such as they can't carry on conversations in a crowded room and have to blast the tv I urge you to seriously consider hearing aids. A lot of people are leary of HA's, but there are new models such as the GN ReSound Air mini BTE's that I have that are virtually invisible to an onlooker. Few people, even those that see me on almost daily basis, have noticed I am wearing them.

joku_muko
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2007, 1:43 am

Not when I was a kid I always had really good hearing. Seems its deteriorating quickly though. Sometimes can barely hear people and I have to ask people to speak up a lot and I'm only 25.

calandale
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2007, 5:40 am

My hearing is excellent (too good often), except for towards the drone of conversation.