Socks and toe seams, or clothing tags annoy you?

Page 4 of 4 [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2015, 10:14 am

Boo Radley wrote:
Socks have always been my enemy. They must be long socks (at least up to my shins) and they have to be pulled all the way up.

Clothing tags are a definite issue as well. I've gotten better about them but they still nag me a bit.

The worst sensitivity offender of all, for me, is wool. My god what a wretched material.

Wool is awful. It is like wearing sandpaper. Too bad it looks really nice when sweaters are made from them.

Another material I can't stand is fleece. It feels like it is permanently saturated in sweat and filth. It feels disgusting against my skin. It really bothers me more than any other material and causes me to meltdown.

Basso53
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2015, 3:09 pm

It bothered me when I was much, much younger. Then when I got to be about 15 or so, it stopped bothering me, and hasn't since. I still prefer not wearing socks in warm weather, but when the temperatures drop, the socks go on.

You seem to have both Aspie and neurotypical traits

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2015, 4:43 pm

Socks don't bother me. They're the only clothes that don't actually have tags in! :)

But I do hate tags. Each time I look at a clothing tag, I want to be sick, and I'm put off my food. I don't know why they make me feel this way. You know how when you look at something typically gross, like a smelly pile of dog's poop, and then not feel like eating afterwards? That's how I get with tags. :?

I also feel uncomfortable if I see somebody's tag sticking out of their clothing. I always wish that having clothing tags on show was deemed socially unacceptable, and that people always made sure they checked that there are no tags hanging out when they get dressed, by feeling around the back of their neck if they can't see. So many other silly little things are seen as odd when it comes to how you dress, so why can't tags being on show be one of them?

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2015, 6:01 pm

I only wear socks when it's cool enough to wear boots (and only because I can't stand to wear boots without socks). Otherwise I can't stand them. Not just the toe seam, pretty much everything about it. What I hate most is when they are too loose and bunch up around my heel. And I really dislike synthetic fibers in socks. I can deal with a little spandex or nylon but no polyester.

I finally found a brand of organic cotton socks last winter that feel okay to me. They are made by Amelia's organics and they are sold at Kroger. I got the marled ones, they felt the softest.
http://www.ameliasorganic.com/collections/all-items

My feet need to breathe. I don't like to go barefoot and feel stuff getting stuck to the bottom of my feet. I am most comfortable in flip-flops or a soft, non-strappy sandal. Or I can wear casual sneakers or slip-on shoes, with no socks, as long as they don't feel scratchy inside. Leather boots are the most comfortable because they have some give in the material and they breathe. I have tried wearing rain boots and got a really panicky, freaked out feeling by having my foot enclosed in something like that. I really need to have some rain boots though so I hope one day I'll find some I can stand to wear.

Tags in clothing don't always bother, some do and some don't. What's worse are things like buttons or hooks that poke me. I hate it when skirts have a little hook closure at the top of the zipper, sometimes I have to take that off. I long since stopped wearing any kind of pants that button or zip. And as with socks, I really dislike synthetic materials in clothing, but the more loose-fitting it is the more I can tolerate it.

slave
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2015, 6:34 pm

slave wrote:
Boo Radley wrote:
slave wrote:
These problems that we have described in this thread are hyper-sensitivities as compared to the general population.

Have any of you ever 'asked' a Doctor WHY and HOW do we have these hyper-sensitivities?

We just put up with the cursed irritation, but do any of us know what is even happening?

"Tactile defensiveness is a condition in which an individual is extremely sensitive to light touch. Theoretically, when the tactile system is immature and working improperly, abnormal neural signals are sent to the cortex in the brain which can interfere with other brain processes. This, in turn, causes the brain to be overly stimulated and may lead to excessive brain activity, which can neither be turned off nor organized. This type of over-stimulation in the brain can make it difficult for an individual to organize one's behavior and concentrate and may lead to a negative emotional response to touch sensations." - Cindy Hatch-Rasmussen, M.A., OTR/L

This quote was from the following link if anyone wants to read more. Interesting possibility.

The psychologist I see told me that they are often not trained to help with these types of issues (at least here in the US). She told me my best bet was to see an Occupational Therapist (OT) for my sensory issues. She also warned me that all the OT people in my area saw mostly kids! She didn't want me to feel embarrassed when I went in the office and I was the only adult. I've been wanting treatment for misophonia (an angry reaction to everyday sounds like people eating).

Weird :?: :?
I wrote something here yest. and now...poof...gone :?

Anyway thanks for the great post :D :D :D

what is the treatment for misophonia?
i thought there was no tx

Boo Radley
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2015, 10:41 pm

No problem. Misophonia is one of my favorite (and most hated) topics :lol:

My psychologist (if I'm remembering correctly) said an OT could help lessen the impact of the sounds a bit but not outright cure the problem. She had referred other patients and they had had some success. I have been thinking about giving it a shot early next year. I also have tinnitus so I'm hoping they can help with that as well. I'll report back what I find. I'll also ask if they work with tactile sensitivity issues.

I've had moderate success getting rid of the quick emotional-side of the reaction (the anger) with mindfulness and cognitive behavioral techniques. However, the sound of eating is still just as irritating. That really never fades for me.

Over the past 20 years I've had 6 different therapists and none of them have really addressed my misophonia. They all seem puzzled by it and I had a few who told me to just expose myself (flooding) to eating sounds. That did not go over well. I'm hoping misophonia (or whatever they decide to call it) gets added to the next DSM.

heffe1981
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

13 Nov 2015, 10:09 pm

I have actually destroyed a few pieces of clothing because I usually just rip the tag off. I also have very sensitive skin and I need hypoallergenic soap.

Not really on Xbox live

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2015, 11:40 pm

I just packed up 3 pairs of jammies for Goodwill because there are parts of the tops that just scratch in certain areas. I put a pair on just to make sure and before I could even put the top on I just tingled all over knowing what it was going to feel like. I did try it on again and found AGAIN the same annoying scratching. So in the bag they went.
:cry:

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 83 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 153 of 200 You are very likely neurotypical
Darn, I flunked.

LivingInParentheses
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2015, 10:22 am

Boo Radley wrote:

Over the past 20 years I've had 6 different therapists and none of them have really addressed my misophonia. They all seem puzzled by it and I had a few who told me to just expose myself (flooding) to eating sounds.

Oh man. I would have no choice but to kill somebody in that situation. Lip smacking and crunching and... I can't even go there. Nope. That is NOT how to deal with misophonia. Not saying I know what is, but that sure isn't it.

re: the topic at hand, I can't' do certain toe seams. The ones that go across your toe tips instead of across you toe knuckles are just not happening with me - you end up with a pinky toe lump that hurts and causes blistering. Who can stand a lump in their shoe all day? Not me. Even some of the toe-knuckle seamed socks are impossible for me to wear. From spring through fall I wear sandals and flip flops and slip-on sneakers to avoid this issue. My boots are square-toed because I have wide feet, bunions on my big toes, and need room for sock seams. So I've worn the same boots for 9-10 years now. They don't make them anymore so I jsut keep on trying to make the same old ones work even though one zipper is broken and the other boot has broken plastic stuff in the heel that I can feel every time I wear them.

I spend a lot of time not leaving the house this time of year because of socks/boots issues to be honest.

slave
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2015, 12:16 am

Boo Radley wrote:
No problem. Misophonia is one of my favorite (and most hated) topics :lol:

My psychologist (if I'm remembering correctly) said an OT could help lessen the impact of the sounds a bit but not outright cure the problem. She had referred other patients and they had had some success. I have been thinking about giving it a shot early next year. I also have tinnitus so I'm hoping they can help with that as well. I'll report back what I find. I'll also ask if they work with tactile sensitivity issues.

I've had moderate success getting rid of the quick emotional-side of the reaction (the anger) with mindfulness and cognitive behavioral techniques. However, the sound of eating is still just as irritating. That really never fades for me.

Over the past 20 years I've had 6 different therapists and none of them have really addressed my misophonia. They all seem puzzled by it and I had a few who told me to just expose myself (flooding) to eating sounds. That did not go over well. I'm hoping misophonia (or whatever they decide to call it) gets added to the next DSM.

Oh yes pls do or you can even PM me what you find out, I'd love to hear it.
Idk what OT would do...hmmm
Misophonia remains unknown to huge numbers of health professionals.
It is a vicious Hell.

esoterica181
Raven
Raven

19 Nov 2015, 10:23 pm

This must explains why I enjoy wearing sandals so much. Another thing about socks is it can be difficult to get the toe seams aligned properly - but once I manage to align them, I feel SET.
Ditto about shirt tags, AND water that drips down my arm sleeves after I wash my hands and while reaching for a paper towel.