Angry about Nestle...and their water.

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2015, 1:04 pm

Well its not exactly new, news to me that Nestle is helping perpetuate drought problems in California by continuing to drain water from the region to be re-sold as bottled water. So for a while I haven't been buying Nestle stuff, or so I thought. Just found out now they own Arrowhead water...so Arrowhead is nestle and I've been cluelessly buying the stuff thinking I was avoiding nestle and its non-sustainable practices.

Didn't know where else to put this because it is a current event and not specifically autism related. Anyways is anyone else bothered by Nestles behavior? Also apparently the CEO doesn't think all people have a right to water and so you can bet he'd like to have a full monopoly on water and would support any moves to privatize water making it a consumer product rather than a basic human resource people have the right to.

So yeah pretty disgusted with this.

blauSamstag
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2015, 8:30 pm

Not to defend Nestle, but the government neglected to pay any attention as well.

Also, their water use is literally a drop in the bucket. More than 80% of your california's water is used in agriculture, and much of that agriculture is either irrational to attempt in the california climate and is only possible due to heavy subsidies - like rice - or is being shipped overseas for profit, like the 6 million tons of extremely thirsty alfalfa that california exported to china, saudi arabia, and other countries last year.

Alien_Papa
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2015, 10:18 pm

I don't buy water. It amazes me that this huge industry has developed selling something that literally falls from the sky.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

28 Aug 2015, 11:41 pm

Alien_Papa wrote:
I don't buy water. It amazes me that this huge industry has developed selling something that literally falls from the sky.

Apart from the dubious legality of collecting that rain water not all of us live places it is safe to drink out the faucet. You'd be surprised how unsafe the drinking water is in parts of this country.

California has too many people, too over developed, It can't take 50 million people while producing that amount of agriculture in what is essentially mostly desert.

blauSamstag
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2015, 12:12 am

Jacoby wrote:
Alien_Papa wrote:

Apart from the dubious legality of collecting that rain water not all of us live places it is safe to drink out the faucet. You'd be surprised how unsafe the drinking water is in parts of this country.

California has too many people, too over developed, It can't take 50 million people while producing that amount of agriculture in what is essentially mostly desert.

Small reminder.

those "too many people" consume less than 20% of the water used in the state.

80% of the water is used in agriculture. It's produced primarily for export, with 70% of what california agriculture exports to other countries - primarily to Canada, European Union, China/Hong Kong, Japan, Mexico, South Korea, United Arab Emirates, India, Turkey, and Vietnam.

I think it's a mistake to say that california has too many people and thus has a water problem. It's cash crops that are the problem.

It's big business, but agriculture is only 2% of california's economic activity.

Nothing against farmers per se - but these are hardly the guys putting food on your table. Aside from the dairy products. And nuts.

Having trouble finding a 2014 or even 2013 number. In 2009, almost 40 billion dollars in ag subsidies were received in california.

And then there's the bit about how they are only charged about 15% of the actual cost delivering the water to the farms.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2015, 10:40 am

I've been signing petitions for months against Nestle,not sure if it helps.
Bottling water and making a profit off it in a drought stricken area is just morally wrong,but that's corporate greed for you.
Big agri bears some of the blame for the water crisis,like why would anyone try to grow rice in an arid climate?
We grow rice here but we have swamps,makes sense.
There was a geologist on TV,the weather channel I think,that said Cali has destroyed its aquifers.They are in clay and when you pump them dry they collapse and never recover.Bye bye ground water.

glebel
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2015, 11:05 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
Well its not exactly new, news to me that Nestle is helping perpetuate drought problems in California by continuing to drain water from the region to be re-sold as bottled water. So for a while I haven't been buying Nestle stuff, or so I thought. Just found out now they own Arrowhead water...so Arrowhead is nestle and I've been cluelessly buying the stuff thinking I was avoiding nestle and its non-sustainable practices.

Didn't know where else to put this because it is a current event and not specifically autism related. Anyways is anyone else bothered by Nestles behavior? Also apparently the CEO doesn't think all people have a right to water and so you can bet he'd like to have a full monopoly on water and would support any moves to privatize water making it a consumer product rather than a basic human resource people have the right to.

So yeah pretty disgusted with this.

If you buy water, buy locally like you should try to do anyways. I see that you are in Colorado, so you have way more water then we do.

glebel
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2015, 11:07 am

Misslizard wrote:
Bottling water and making a profit off it in a drought stricken area is just morally wrong,but that's corporate greed for you.
Big agri bears some of the blame for the water crisis,like why would anyone try to grow rice in an arid climate?
There was a geologist on TV,the weather channel I think,that said Cali has destroyed its aquifers.They are in clay and when you pump them dry they collapse and never recover.Bye bye ground water.

Nuts to petitions. The most effective way to force corporations to behave is by boycott. You hit them in their pocketbooks, they pay attention.

Humanaut
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2015, 11:17 am

blauSamstag wrote:
...they are only charged about 15% of the actual cost delivering the water to the farms.

The People's Republic of California subsidizing agricultural irrigation? Who could have guessed...

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2015, 12:12 pm

glebel wrote:
Misslizard wrote:

Nuts to petitions. The most effective way to force corporations to behave is by boycott. You hit them in their pocketbooks, they pay attention.

I agree with the boycott idea,I don't buy Nestle.If I purchase bottle water its locally sourced,and we have plenty of that here.
Petitions can work,I've seem where several I signed had desired results and it only tales a few minutes of time.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2015, 1:12 pm

I gotz to drink bottle water here unless I feel like my stomach is dying.

Water tanks only. Boiling water three times is a waste of energy.

Anyway, for Cali; that's what you get building a city in the desert. What do you expect?

glebel
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2015, 1:26 pm

Dillogic wrote:

Anyway, for Cali; that's what you get building a city in the desert. What do you expect?

Ah, what the heck, just go steal somebody else's water.

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2015, 3:35 pm

glebel wrote:
Dillogic wrote:

Waddaya think Calihorny's been doing for decades? They've been purloining water from their neighboring states!

glebel
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2015, 3:50 pm

Meistersinger wrote:
glebel wrote:
Dillogic wrote:

Waddaya think Calihorny's been doing for decades? They've been purloining water from their neighboring states!

Take a look at what Mulholland ( Los Angeles' Water Baron ) did to the Owen's Valley. The crook went in and told the local farmers that he was developing a local irrigation district and that if they signed off on their water rights, he would supply plentiful irrigation water. The upshot is is that L.A. stole the water, including that of of the farmers who refused to play along by damming creeks and sucking the aquifer dry. Oh, and he and his cronies bought a lot of semi-arid rangeland in the San Fernando Valley for cheap because they knew water was coming.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2015, 5:39 pm

Do you not have running water at your house? Why not drink that? If you don't like how it tastes, you can get a Brita water pitcher and it filters it and makes it taste better they say. We have one but I can't tell a difference in water anyway. The only water I can tell is different is well water because of the sulfer smell.

You already buy water when you pay your water bill. Why buy different water to drink, or if you buy it because you like to take it with you, why not just get a case of Walmart bottled water and then refill the bottles and keep them in the fridge? It's water, not wine. It's not that different.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

glebel
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2015, 6:16 pm

OliveOilMom wrote:
Do you not have running water at your house? Why not drink that? If you don't like how it tastes, you can get a Brita water pitcher and it filters it and makes it taste better they say. We have one but I can't tell a difference in water anyway. The only water I can tell is different is well water because of the sulfer smell.

You already buy water when you pay your water bill. Why buy different water to drink, or if you buy it because you like to take it with you, why not just get a case of Walmart bottled water and then refill the bottles and keep them in the fridge? It's water, not wine. It's not that different.

I actually drink water from my well, and only drink bottled water when I'm away for any period of time or if I need new water bottles ( I fill them halfway and then freeze them, topping them off in the morning ). Seeing as how I'm at the top of an aquifer at @6000 foot, I have good tasting, relatively pure water.