How can people be so brutal with refugees, really?

Page 1 of 8 [ 120 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

Mootoo
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2015, 7:13 am

I'm so sick of the news... I keep listening, despite of the horror, and yet am astonished when I happen to notice how many neo-Nazis are seemingly popping up out of nowhere.

It's like, literally, Germany and the UK changed sides from WWII... the former has taken the most refugees, the UK is on the brink of suggesting concentration camps for them. (No, I seriously wouldn't be surprised if this 'Eton' cabinet suggests it... ugh... and no one can suggest that this isn't a brutal consensus when children are dying in the back of some truck and left to rot...)

Empathy
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2015, 6:32 am

Mootoo wrote:
I'm so sick of the news... I keep listening, despite of the horror, and yet am astonished when I happen to notice how many neo-Nazis are seemingly popping up out of nowhere.

It's like, literally, Germany and the UK changed sides from WWII... and no one can suggest that this isn't a brutal consensus when children are dying in the back of some truck and left to rot...)

Being in a European country such as ours, you hear a lot about it on the telly. I think something like 2,500 refuges are dead now and 71 were caught in the back of a truck migrating over the Hungarian border into Austria, that's why they had to close some of the borders onto that side. Despite this, Germany are expected to take 800,00 refugees.

I think the initial shock will inevitably turn to despair, then unmarked burial, but I don't think you can really compare it to D-Day or the true impact which brought more impassive earmarked land territory to rest.

syzygyish
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2015, 6:39 am

take heart Mootoo...

it isn't like a 100 or a 1000 years ago where people could say it isn't happening to me or my loved ones
and I can't see it, or believe it, so it doesn't affect me,

Today, (this is really sad) I heard on the radio that a 3 year old baby boy got washed up on the sand, dead
according to the news report a soldier took him away with grief his only emotion
This picture has gone viral

There is going to come to a point

where humanity makes the decisions , not politicians or corporations

blauSamstag
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2015, 11:13 am

It's easy. You just decide that people who aren't exactly like you are not really human so it does not matter if they suffer and die.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2015, 12:25 pm

It's a strain on resources is mostly what it is and it adds to the competition for jobs. It's human nature for people (the ones that work for a living) to be alarmed (pissed off) about having tens or hundreds of thousands of refugees offloaded on them all the sudden.

If said refuges are worth the time of day they'll make it despite the hardships. When my ancestors came here from Germany and Ireland it was during the times when people were fleeing both countries in droves making them refugees. They were treated like the scum of the earth in this country but made something of themselves despite the adversities they faced. I don't see how it's much different now.

blauSamstag
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2015, 10:03 pm

Raptor wrote:
It's a strain on resources is mostly what it is and it adds to the competition for jobs. It's human nature for people (the ones that work for a living) to be alarmed (pissed off) about having tens or hundreds of thousands of refugees offloaded on them all the sudden.

If said refuges are worth the time of day they'll make it despite the hardships. When my ancestors came here from Germany and Ireland it was during the times when people were fleeing both countries in droves making them refugees. They were treated like the scum of the earth in this country but made something of themselves despite the adversities they faced. I don't see how it's much different now.

Resources are in much greater abundance, for one thing.

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2015, 11:05 pm

What syzygyish just said. I think and I'm hoping more people throughout the Western world are recognizing the devastation for what it truly is. I'm hoping. But having said this, what is happening over in Syria is causing so many to literally flee for their lives. This isn't people migrating just to get a free pass and be lazy. These are human beings who are randomly and indiscriminately beings slaughtered in masses. Mostly civilians who had nothing to do with the conflict that is happening over there. It is a huge tragedy and I imagine it will be more-so if old prejudices remain. This is a huge devastation and not one no matter what your personal religious beliefs or lack there of, should be taken lightly.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2015, 11:29 pm

Raptor wrote:

I'm inclined to side with the right wing on this one. Developed countries have quality of life standards that are threatened when faced with an influx of refugees. I think temporary asylum based on risk to life is justifiable but I don't understand the logic why Syrian muslims (who can safely live in other muslim countries) would try and bypass safe passage and get into "infidel" dominated countries? can only be economic reasons and this is not justifiable and should be blocked, otherwise it will strain social services of western countries to breaking point.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2015, 1:04 am

blauSamstag wrote:
Raptor wrote:

Resources are in much greater abundance, for one thing.

Most Euro countries are in massive debt ,especially the UK, and Germany too.

That shows you that they are desperate to maintain their standard of living a little longer, before it gets equalized with the billions of people in poverty.

Magneto
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2015, 11:16 am

Oh, we have the resources. We live in a place where energy and water literally fall from the sky.

Raptor, were your ancestors allowed into the country, though?

The main issue I see is cultural. Most of the refugees don't share our values, so they're not going to integrate well. Unfortunately, the countries that *do* share their values aren't willing to take them in. I suggest a charter city for them in the Mediterranean, hosted by Greece (a 50-100 year sovereignty lease of a Greek island should do it) and sponsored by either Britain or Germany (who would run the city and fund it's development). A Hong Kong of the Med, or maybe a Singapore.

I think we could take 60k, though.

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2015, 2:17 pm

Todays problem will be the mold for the billions to come. Southeast Asia, Africa, South America, is almost all the population growth on Earth, and the poorest regions now.

Are you opening the door for three billion over the next twenty years?

Ebola was a problem until it was dealt with at the source. In a short time it was contained.

I myself am oppressed, I demand 1500 Euros a month, plus food and an apartment, in Finland, and a Finn girlfriend.

I have a Human Right to a Finn Girlfriend. Not one of those southern mixed girls, I want a Sammi!

I will show up by getting deported from Russia.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2015, 10:05 pm

Mootoo wrote:

It's like, literally, Germany and the UK changed sides from WWII... the former has taken the most refugees, the UK is on the brink of suggesting concentration camps for them. (No, I seriously wouldn't be surprised if this 'Eton' cabinet suggests it... ugh... and no one can suggest that this isn't a brutal consensus when children are dying in the back of some truck and left to rot...)

Don't be surprised if the bulk of the refugees do end up in camps of some kind because there's so many people freaking out over immigrants at the moment and blaming them for all the troubles of every developed nation. They do the same thing in the US only the ones who come here are not escaping any wars, just poverty and violence.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2015, 1:51 am

A major sticking point for the Syrian refugees in reaching Germany has been the government of Hungary. The Hungarian President has decided he's going to continue to make transportation west to Germany impossible, in order to satisfy the right wing nationalists of his party who see brown people as less than human.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2015, 1:59 am

Golden Dawn (or whatever the Hungarian ones call themselves) is sincerely really f#cked up! I should've figured it was them, they're essentially the American private military contractors' biggest fans.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2015, 3:07 am

cberg wrote:
Golden Dawn (or whatever the Hungarian ones call themselves) is sincerely really f#cked up! I should've figured it was them, they're essentially the American private military contractors' biggest fans.

Yep, that's them.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2015, 3:18 am

Isn't there a huge NATO garrison in Estonia the UN could allocate towards enforcing the Geneva convention here? I'm guessing Russia can't possibly be to pleased about Hungary anyway...

-Gem Tos :mrgreen: